Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:12:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ostracism vs. Imprisonment: how best to handle people like Casey Anthony  (Read 2871 times)
em3rgentOrdr (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 04:57:35 PM

Casey Anthony free, but in another kind of prison

Will Casey Anthony's notoriety over the death of her two-year-old daughter Caylee bring some measure of wealth and security, or will it, instead, condemn her to a different kind of prison?

Although released from jail, Ms. Anthony is embarking on an uncertain future, facing substantial obstacles to reclaim a normal life.

I prefer ostracism.  Imprisonment is a negative sum game for everyone involved: the criminal, the prison, and the taxpayers.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 17, 2011, 06:51:23 PM

+1

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
macharborguy

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 17, 2011, 07:10:51 PM

there is no way to reclaim a "normal life" after this.  Normally, you don't go to court over the death of a child.  Normally you aren't put in the public eye like she was.

Celebs don't have normal lives.  People involved in highly televised/publicized court cases don't have normal lives.

All she will have to be able to do is deal with it
myhoho
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:30:26 AM

Ostracism. Bitcoin people always have "ostracismic" predisposition...

██████▄  ▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄         
██████████████████████████▄▄     
█████████████████████████████▄   
▄███████████████████████████████ 
▄▄███▄     ▄██████████  ████████▀▀▀██████████
▄██████   ████████████  ████████   ███████████
▄████████▀   █████████    ██    ████████▀▀▀███████
▀████▄  ▄   ████████████  ████████████   ███████
▀████▀     ▀██████████  █████████████████████
▀███████████████████████████████ 
█████████████████████████████▀   
██████████████████████████▀▀     
██████▀  ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀         
ROCKET

▄▄    ▄▄

▄▄    ▄▄

ENTHRALLING GRAPHICS
● NEW TYPE OF GAMES
100% REFERRAL BONUS
((       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄████████ ██ █████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀████████▄
▄███████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀███████▄
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████▀▀██
█████████   ████    ███▄▄██
▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄██▀  █▀
 ▀█████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄███▀  █▀
  ▀████████ ██ ████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███▄
▄████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄████▄
█████▀               ██████
█████▄              ███▀▀██
██████▄            ████▄▄██
▀██████▄▄        ▄████▀  █▀
 ▀████▄       ▄██████▀  █▀
  ▀████████████████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████████▀     ████████▄
▄██████████   ████████████▄
█████████        ██████████
█████████▄▄   ▄▄███████▀▀██
███████████   █████████▄▄██
▀██████████   ████████▀  █▀
 ▀█████████   ███████▀  █▀
  ▀████████▄▄▄█████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
))
lemonginger

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:34:31 AM

It is worth pointing out that in some future societies shunning/ostracism could essentially be a death sentence. Not saying that makes it worse than imprisonment (I'm a prison abolitionist myself), but still worth keeping in mind.

Some sort of restitution and restoration process is of course needed as well.
Tawsix

I have always been afraid of banks.

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 02:27:02 PM

I still have yet to be given a compelling argument for how ostracizing murderers keeps them from murdering again.  The last thread I had this discussion in ended up with those supporting ostracism switching to supporting capital punishment/imprisonment.  Also, please enlighten me on how ostracizing a woman who was found not guilty of murder in any way supports ostracism?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2011, 06:16:41 PM

Some sort of restitution and restoration process is of course needed as well.

Well, of course, you only ostracize if restitution is refused.

I still have yet to be given a compelling argument for how ostracizing murderers keeps them from murdering again. 

The idea is that you remove the social support structure, preventing the criminal from doing anything in the society, until restitution is paid. It does not keep them from murdering again, the idea is that it will enforce the repayment of his/her debt in the least inhumane way possible. What keeps them from murdering again is the fact that it's an armed society, and he's less likely to survive with each attempted murder.

That said, I support rehabilitation/restitution for lesser crimes, but premeditated murder, there is no way to repay. Let the family and friends of the victim decide what will best repay that debt.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
ErgoOne

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 07:26:47 PM

Ostracism isn't going to work with a few hardened murderers, rapists and the like.  IMHO we need prisons because there are people that you simply can't be safe from if they're walking around free.  But ostracism for those who aren't in that category (realistically, most of the people currently in prison in the U.S.) might work if enough people cooperated and if going underground/hiding who you are didn't work.  How would you enforce that, though, without reducing freedom for the rest of us?
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2011, 07:46:23 PM

You won't have to. Most businesses would not deal with a known thief, or contract breaker, or what have you, and those that will, will probably charge more. (same demand, less supply = higher prices)

Denicen

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 07:57:49 PM

I wish that there were some island we could send violent criminals to, like the british used to do with australia. In an ideal society violent crime would be punished with banishment and non-violent crime with reparations imo.
Tawsix

I have always been afraid of banks.

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 09:30:39 PM

I still have yet to be given a compelling argument for how ostracizing murderers keeps them from murdering again.  

The idea is that you remove the social support structure, preventing the criminal from doing anything in the society, until restitution is paid. It does not keep them from murdering again, the idea is that it will enforce the repayment of his/her debt in the least inhumane way possible. What keeps them from murdering again is the fact that it's an armed society, and he's less likely to survive with each attempted murder.

That said, I support rehabilitation/restitution for lesser crimes, but premeditated murder, there is no way to repay. Let the family and friends of the victim decide what will best repay that debt.

I think ostracism would be fine if used against certain people who are non-violent or willing to pay restitution for their crimes.  But for violent murderers and others, you would be throwing people who lived in rural and remote areas to the wolves.  Just because your society is armed doesn't make the desperation of hunger any less sharp, especially if the hungry person committed crimes when they weren't hungry.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2011, 09:41:53 PM

I think ostracism would be fine if used against certain people who are non-violent or willing to pay restitution for their crimes.  But for violent murderers and others, you would be throwing people who lived in rural and remote areas to the wolves.  Just because your society is armed doesn't make the desperation of hunger any less sharp, especially if the hungry person committed crimes when they weren't hungry.

Ever heard the the phrase "don't do the crime, if you can't do the time"? Ostracism is for people who won't pay restitution. If you refuse restitution, you're not being part of the civilization, so why should the civilization support you?

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 03:44:50 AM

I still have yet to be given a compelling argument for how ostracizing murderers keeps them from murdering again.  The last thread I had this discussion in ended up with those supporting ostracism switching to supporting capital punishment/imprisonment.  Also, please enlighten me on how ostracizing a woman who was found not guilty of murder in any way supports ostracism?
The point is that the universe of wrongs is much greater than the universe of wrongs that can be effectively dealt with by a justice system. The point of ostracism is to punish, and therefore discourage, those wrongs that can't be dealt with by a justice system.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: