Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:33:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Never trust BTCT.CO 's FAQ about GAuth!  (Read 3674 times)
caoxg (OP)

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

Winter is coming

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 02:56:41 AM
Last edit: September 19, 2013, 03:33:40 AM by caoxg

ok, i'll try to discuss with burnside at first.

I'm running a Chinese crowdfunding website: dreamchina.com.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caoxg (OP)

Winter is coming

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 03:00:16 AM

I simply can't understand why they need to lock for 30 days?
A very simple sign by my withdrawal address will let burnside know I own the account.

Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:02:11 AM

I followed btct.co's faq about gauth just now:

Codes from Google Authenticator not working after phone reset

If you recently reset or wiped your phone, the Google Authenticator app might not be able to generate valid codes. To get your Google Authenticator app working again, you will need to delete your account from the app, turn off 2-step verification, turn it back on, and add your account to the app again.

Open the Google Authenticator app on your phone.
Delete your account from the app.
Press and hold the account you want to delete, then tap Delete on the dialog box that pops up.
Go to your 2-step verification settings page and rescan your QR Code.

Yes I silly believed the offical FAQ should work ,and I deleted my btct.co account from google authenticator!
and ,where can I 'Go to your 2-step verification settings page and rescan your QR code?'

the 'change gauth settings' button in 'Account -> Google authenticator' menu seems broken, it just jump back to account homepage.

Now I cannot do any transactions in BTCT!
If I choose to reset my Gauth in btct, I'll be locked for 30 days!!!

Totally FAIL!

If your GA was working fine why would you conceivably believe deleting the code from GA before disabling authentication on the server was sensible?

I mean if you wanted to change your password on a site and the FAQ said "repeatedly hitting yourself in the head with a brick can help you forget the old password" I'd still have some doubts over whether forgetting the old password was actually a useful objective to aim for and would, at a minimum, ensure I changed the password to a new one (that I could remember) before smacking myself in the head with a lump of masonry.

Similarly, if a site told me how to delete my GA details I'd disable the need for those details before actually making any effort to delete them.
caoxg (OP)

Winter is coming

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 03:08:15 AM

I really believe my head was hit by a ton of bricks to do this silly thing .

I still cannot forgive myself.

usagi
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 03:40:31 AM

The 30 days is there to protect you, because someone who steals your wallet could check blockchain.info and start e-mailing exchanges asking for a password reset. 30 days is so if you did get hacked, you have plenty of time to contact burnside (and everyone else) and explain what happened.

If you have a lot of money and a lawyer or doctor friend, getting your account back immediately is trivial. Just have your lawyer or doctor friend guarantee the statement of ownership. Just write a photo-letter to burnside -- the guarantor must write a declaration "I certify this to be a true likeness of (name)" and sign the back of the letter, and sign and date the photo. A scan or fax will be sufficient, because burnside can then contact the individual independently to verify what you have given him is true. I expect burnside would charge a fee for this service but I can't see any reasonable reason he would decline the process. Then again it isn't exactly standard procedure in the world of bitcoin finance.

p.s. if you can't find a lawyer, traditionally accepted alternates fall along the lines of dentist, judge, police officer, mayor or notary public or above, or the signing officer or president of a bank.
Deprived

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 04:10:05 AM

The 30 days is there to protect you, because someone who steals your wallet could check blockchain.info and start e-mailing exchanges asking for a password reset. 30 days is so if you did get hacked, you have plenty of time to contact burnside (and everyone else) and explain what happened.

If you have a lot of money and a lawyer or doctor friend, getting your account back immediately is trivial. Just have your lawyer or doctor friend guarantee the statement of ownership. Just write a photo-letter to burnside -- the guarantor must write a declaration "I certify this to be a true likeness of (name)" and sign the back of the letter, and sign and date the photo. A scan or fax will be sufficient, because burnside can then contact the individual independently to verify what you have given him is true. I expect burnside would charge a fee for this service but I can't see any reasonable reason he would decline the process. Then again it isn't exactly standard procedure in the world of bitcoin finance.

p.s. if you can't find a lawyer, traditionally accepted alternates fall along the lines of dentist, judge, police officer, mayor or notary public or above, or the signing officer or president of a bank.

It's not a lot of use proving you're MR X unless burnside had already accepted that MR X owned the account in question.  Everyone actually has an identity that they can prove is them - the problem is proving that identity is the one that owns the account.

I'd certainly hope that noone who produced a letter from lawyer, doctor or whatever could take control of MY funds just because they had convincing proof that they had a name.  What you refer to is acceptable proof of proving an identity (and only in the same country) - and has nothing to do with determining ownership of an asset where the owner's identity was not previously established.  Or do you really believe that knowing a doctor/lawyer (or someone willing to pass themself off as one) is good grounds for taking ownership of things where no identity of the owner had previously been declared?
usagi
VIP

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:34:19 PM

It's not a lot of use proving you're MR X unless burnside had already accepted that MR X owned the account in question.

That's why the guarantor signs a statement of ownership and not a statement of identity (although such a letter would naturally include your identity). It means you provide proof of your ownership i.e. you sign a message with the withdrawal address. I completely agree that without accepting that MR X owns the account in question it would be ludicrous to turn it over to him simply because he proves he has an identity.

I wouldn't be surprised if ignoring such a letter would open you to some kind of civil suit in most parts of the world.
zefyr0s

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 02:37:00 PM

Couldn't he just verify by sending a specific amount from that address??
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 07:35:41 AM

Hey, just wanted to apologize for the typo in the gAuth FAQ.  It was written up prior to several changes I made to the 2FA setup interface.  It's updated now.

Deprived is right.  Proving that you are John Smith doesn't help when trying to claim an account because I don't know that the account belonged to John Smith in the first place.

Same goes for signing addresses.  I have no way of knowing if a wallet is compromised.

Ugh.  Sad

Tafelpoot

Activity: 191

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:15:33 AM

Burnside, do you consider adding the possibility to link your phone number to the exchange? Would it provide a valid recovery method?
caoxg (OP)

Winter is coming

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 02:52:06 PM

Hey, just wanted to apologize for the typo in the gAuth FAQ.  It was written up prior to several changes I made to the 2FA setup interface.  It's updated now.

Deprived is right.  Proving that you are John Smith doesn't help when trying to claim an account because I don't know that the account belonged to John Smith in the first place.

Same goes for signing addresses.  I have no way of knowing if a wallet is compromised.

Ugh.  Sad

Please do something.
I have placed a ticket in btct support system, and i got no reply.
I also pmed you in this forum and also got no reply.

I still have access in btct.co, I requested a GA reset just now, using my registered email address, Sure you may say that's not enough;
I can using the same name in this forum as btct .co, also you may say that's not relate to btct.
I can sign the adress, my locked withdrawal address, yah , you may say that may be compromised.

You should have some other option, to let me shorten the 30 day period. In bitcoin world, 30 days just as long as a year in true world.

I'm an active btc player in Chinese bitcoin world, I had face to face contact with some friends you may know in this forum , that may prove the whole thing if you want more proof.

Just tell me what I can do, because I did the action following what the official FAQ listed in btct.co. I belived in them before.

snoleo

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

A Colt Crossed the River

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:39:57 PM

Ugh.  Sad

Please do something.
I have placed a ticket in btct support system, and i got no reply.
I also pmed you in this forum and also got no reply.

I still have access in btct.co, I requested a GA reset just now, using my registered email address, Sure you may say that's not enough;
I can using the same name in this forum as btct .co, also you may say that's not relate to btct.
I can sign the adress, my locked withdrawal address, yah , you may say that may be compromised.

You should have some other option, to let me shorten the 30 day period. In bitcoin world, 30 days just as long as a year in true world.

I'm an active btc player in Chinese bitcoin world, I had face to face contact with some friends you may know in this forum , that may prove the whole thing if you want more proof.

Just tell me what I can do, because I did the action following what the official FAQ listed in btct.co. I belived in them before.

I can prove what caoxg said is real if it can do some help to him. He is a friend of mine.

I am the webmaster of btc123.com , a well-known bitcoin website directory in Chinese bitcoin community.

btc123.com - bitcoin Info & Web directory
btcash

Activity: 968
Merit: 515

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:48:51 PM

Burnside, do you consider adding the possibility to link your phone number to the exchange? Would it provide a valid recovery method?
That would nice. The 30 days waiting period is not the best way.
snoleo

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

A Colt Crossed the River

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:01:25 PM

Ugh.  Sad

burnside, would you please do me a favor? I have sent you several forum messages but got no reply.

We have added several btct.co tickers on the main page and price info page of btc123.com which is the most popular bitcoin web directory and price info website amoung Chinese bitcoin communities. However we have encountered an issue that server often cannot get ticker from btct.co API, it seems that btct.co is running properly but the firewall or cdn used by btct.co has blocked the server IP of btc123.com (usually the block time lasts for 8-12 hours)

You can see the stocks ticker info on page : http://z.btc123.com (this is the price info page ) and  http://www.btc123.com (main page)

Would you please help check the issue and if necessary kindly add btc123's server ip to the whitelist of the firewall?

(btc123 server's IP is 124.232.145.204)

Many thanks!

btc123.com - bitcoin Info & Web directory
caoxg (OP)

Winter is coming

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 05:14:01 PM

Many thanks ,dude!

caoxg (OP)

Winter is coming

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2013, 12:05:41 AM

Ugh.  Sad

Apologies means nothing without action.

caoxg (OP)

Winter is coming

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2013, 08:34:02 AM

Oh Dear the btct.co site is shutting down!!
I said in btc world 1 month means 1 year!

So what can I do with all my assets!!

Burnside ,please reset the gauth , please!

kmtan

Activity: 196

I love Bitcoin

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 08:46:41 AM

Oh Dear the btct.co site is shutting down!!
I said in btc world 1 month means 1 year!

So what can I do with all my assets!!

Burnside ,please reset the gauth , please!

hi, i think your have timing problem with smartphone, you can sync your phone time to automatically. after that the GA can be use..

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: