Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 02:37:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Ripple has failed.  (Read 10880 times)
Coinseeker

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 02:51:48 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2013, 03:03:00 PM by Coinseeker

1.) JoelKatz all but admitted that the original Ripple idea (Community Credit/Liquidity Providers/Web of Trust) has been almost entirely discarded. That tiny portion which remains only exists to facilitate some obscure niche by a specialized user base.

This is a good thing.  This complicates the message, brings discussions of trust lines and "Rippling" to the forefront when it's totally unnecessary, given the majority of the worlds population is not ready for community credit.  That's an idea from the past.  Maybe it will become the future one day but for now, it is totally irrelevant and IMO shouldn't be promoted in any way, shape, form or fashion.  

2.) Because skepticism is necessarily pervasive in the Ripple network -the users need to be active market participants rather than passive "Liquidity Providers"- the average user is likely not to find anything particularly intriguing about putting their money into it. Hence why JoelKatz suggests that Ripple could very well end up as a Gateway/Market Maker only network.

People tend to overvalue the skepticism of Bitcoiners.  Sure, it resonates on a Bitcoin forum but out of 7 billion people on the planet, these critics will largely go unheard and thus irrelevant.  Ripple is a gateway/market maker network.  That's what it's for or at least, that's the purpose it best serves.  As I said previously, MOST users will never even know they are using Ripple, nor will they care to know.  

What they will know, is it's cheaper to use XYZ gateway over Paypal, Xoom, Dwolla and the likes.  And soon, they will know the freedom to be able to send balances between major banks and other major gateways, in seconds and for virtually nothing.  Just as the federation of email has changed the way we communicate, Ripple will change the way send and receive currency, how we bank and how we think about currency in general.  

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
DumbFruit (OP)

Activity: 433
Merit: 263

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 03:48:25 PM

...community credit.  That's an idea from the past.  Maybe it will become the future one day but for now, it is totally irrelevant and IMO shouldn't be promoted in any way, shape, form or fashion.
Other than the portion I crossed out, I totally agree.
(Shocked)

People tend to overvalue the skepticism of Bitcoiners.  Sure, it resonates on a Bitcoin forum but out of 7 billion people on the planet, these critics will largely go unheard and thus irrelevant.
That's not what I meant by skepticism. I was referring to the fact that people couldn't naively rely on automatically trading debt aggregates by being Liquidity Providers. That they have to rely on standard market orders/sells, like any other debt marketplace.

What they will know, is it's cheaper to use XYZ gateway over Paypal, Xoom, Dwolla and the likes.
What makes it different though is that the cost for entering the system as a liquidity provider is basically zero.
I can see now what the real benefits of this quasi-Ripple is, and wish them luck in their goals. There are externalities that are going to make these goals very hard to achieve. They are discussed in length by TradeFortress and QuantPlus, but I don't have much interest in the subject.
I only mention it because anyone that buys XRP or invests in Ripple Labs should consider those problems very seriously.

By their (dumb) fruits shall ye know them indeed...
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 04:06:11 PM

I can see now what the real benefits of this quasi-Ripple is, and wish them luck in their goals. There are externalities that are going to make these goals very hard to achieve. They are discussed in length by TradeFortress and QuantPlus, but I don't have much interest in the subject.
I only mention it because anyone that buys XRP or invests in Ripple Labs should consider those problems very seriously.

$3 million worth of investors, including Google Venture has considered them and backed it.  I'll take their word for it over a couple of dime a dozen Ripple haters.  Wink Ripple's success is inevitable simply because it works and it's scalable, unlike Bitcoin.  The future is not in the continued attempts to destroy Ripple...those attempts have failed miserably.  Rather, the future is in solving the flaws that Ripple may have, just as Ripple has solved the flaws that Bitcoin has.  Natural progression.  

Ripple represents a huge step forward.  Let's continue to move forward and not backwards.  Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, let's work together as a crypto community to make it better for all.  Thus providing a stronger and more adoptable crypto infrastructure.  And I'm betting that in a scenario as such, that the value of Bitcoin is going to skyrocket because more people will have access to it and become exposed to its benefits.  So for those that love Bitcoin but hate Ripple, you really are cutting your own nose off despite your faces, by impeding the very thing that will make your own crypto portfolios, more valuable.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
AmazonStuff

Activity: 628
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 08:49:26 PM

One problem I see with Ripple, is that common people will not understand Ripple, therefore are unlikely to see any reason to use it.

Because of this, therefore Ripple will spend an awful lot of energies trying to explain to people, and people will still go away shaking their heads not knowing what you are talking about.

I also think that 'Ripple' was given some money to advertise and push this stuff on us, and if that money dries up, then ripple will just dissappear and go away, and the people here will continue to mine and be interested in crypto-coins and eventually we will all forget about 'Ripple'.

Oh please, even kids understand how Ripple works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7lbBV8Y8xs
CryptoBang

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 03:28:40 PM

Check the article here http://www.cryptobang.com/2014/09/03/ripple-just-another-scam/

It contains more info about ripple
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2014, 03:52:04 PM

Check the article here http://www.cryptobang.com/2014/09/03/ripple-just-another-scam/

It contains more info about ripple
"Info", seriously? It's just spin. For example, your first point:

In order to get involved in Ripple community, you have to have a friend in the network. Either the creators were dreaming about some kind of wannabe secret society either they do not know how this limits the involvement.

OMG! Dollars are a scam because in order to get dollars, you have to get them from someone who has them!

Your only actual argument seems to be that there's indirect trust in Ripple, except there isn't.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
ltbharley

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2014, 04:21:41 PM

Ripple hasn't failed, ripple is the future and my investments will be soon converted in XRP.
rat

Activity: 253

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 04:21:40 AM

i had to bump this thread to remind everyone how much of a failure this piece of shit ripple is.

katz is a clown.

hearn is a dbag.

ripple is a scam.

thanks for taking my fucking wallet and turning it over to a bunch of KYC assholes who are now holding it hostage for personal information.

o wait! nevermind. they are only worth $0.006

keep 'em.

wasn't that the plan?

Cheesy
SmirkinPepe

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2016, 09:07:45 AM

wow nice necro, im a necromancer myself so let me help you out
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print