Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:12:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feature request: HTTPS Bitcoin page containing signatures of downloadable files  (Read 2093 times)
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 02:14:20 PM

I have another proposition:

There should be a site, like https://www.bitcoin.org/signatures where there are SHA1/MD5/SHA256 signatures of every file that is avaiable for download on bitcoin.org.
This way, there will be a 100% cracker-resistant way to know that one is downloading unmodified/unhacked files.

For now, the only way to know we have a "clean" bitcoin is to download the source, pull changes from github and review them yourself, which is probably not very good for starters/noobs.
After all, latest events concerning Facebook & Tunisia government, show that it's not very hard to imagine governments or ISPs modifying bitcoin binaries to place trojan horses in them.

What do you think ? This shouldn't be verry hard to do - i mean how hard it is to setup a single static HTML page on HTTPS ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2011, 03:20:04 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2011, 03:57:11 PM by bitcoinex

I think digital signed src by authors of the code is better. And already in a git it works fine. Gavin could put a tags with his sign as Linus already doing this:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.37.y.git;a=tag;h=refs/tags/v2.6.37

The average user does not need the source code - for him program builded by a maintainer into packages. Software packages also have signatures, format depends from your OS.

I have a deja vu - we've already discussed it

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12982

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 07:34:27 PM

Relying on HTTPS allows every certificate authority and their sub-authorities to break the authentication, even though bitcoin.org is self-signed. HTTPS should not be used for important authentication problems.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 08:30:20 PM

Relying on HTTPS allows every certificate authority and their sub-authorities to break the authentication, even though bitcoin.org is self-signed. HTTPS should not be used for important authentication problems.

There are plugins for firefox which alert you every time a certificate changes, just like in SSH.
https://addons.mozilla.org/pl/firefox/addon/certificate-patrol/

And even if you're not using plugins, my proposition is much better than nothing, isn't it ?

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 08:32:08 PM

There are plugins for firefox which alert you every time a certificate changes, just like in SSH.

I use it. And I removed most of my CAs. Smiley

And even if you're not using plugins, my proposition is much better than nothing, isn't it ?

Yes, but the releases should just be PGP signed by Satoshi. Then there's no chance of third-party contamination.

ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 08:42:57 PM

Yes, but the releases should just be PGP signed by Satoshi. Then there's no chance of third-party contamination.

That's the problem right there. They should be.
So if they aren't yet, wouldn't it be like a 5 minute job for site admin to add one static HTTPS page with signatures included ?

I mean I'm proposing a quick working fix, and later when Satoshi signs all binaries himself, this will no longer be needed.

ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 09:03:34 PM

I just had another revelation:

Signing binaries by satoshi usign PGP is no solution at all.
Why ?
Because when Satoshi's public PGP key will be avaiable over HTTP, not HTTPS, governments/ISPs still will be able to change it on the fly using their proxies/filters.

This is a chicken-egg problem.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 09:15:19 PM

I just had another revelation:

Signing binaries by satoshi usign PGP is no solution at all.
Why ?
Because when Satoshi's public PGP key will be avaiable over HTTP, not HTTPS, governments/ISPs still will be able to change it on the fly using their proxies/filters.

This is a chicken-egg problem.

This is solved by the PGP web of trust. I'm sure many of us would sign Satoshi's key (which has already been public for a long time), but I think this is generally considered rude to do without permission.

The SHA-1 hashes are already listed on the front page, which can be accessed with HTTPS.

ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2011, 08:51:30 AM

The SHA-1 hashes are already listed on the front page, which can be accessed with HTTPS.

So i was talking like it wasn't done, and it worked all the time... Stupid me.
Closing thread.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: