Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:33:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin lightning network -- how does it solve double spend problem?  (Read 106 times)
griggah (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 07:12:15 PM

This is probably obvious to some of you on here, but I'm a beginner. I recently read the lightning network whitepaper and its very unclear to me how the lightning network addresses the double spend problem without broadcasting transactions to the public blockchain. Can someone explain this to me?

To use the example in the white paper, if Alice and Bob are sending BTC back and forth to each other through a secure payments channel, I agree this provides Byzantine fault tolerance in a two-person economy of just Alice and Bob. Moreover, I agree this solves for scaling issues currently present in Bitcoin. My understanding here is that the net result of Alice and Bob's transactions are posted to the network at some later date, which is what solves the bitcoin scaling issue. That said, if the transactions of Alice and Bob are not immediately broadcasted to the network, then why can't either of Alice and Bob double spend with another party, Cindy? Provided that either of Alice and Bob transact with Cindy before the wallet states of Alice and Bob are broadcast via the blockchain, then there is no way for Cindy's wallet to be "aware" of whether Alice / Bob's wallet state has sufficient bitcoin for a transaction with Cindy. For this reason, I don't understand how double spending is avoided and why Cindy can be sure that Alice / Bob aren't cheating Cindy in a transaction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Shrinath

Activity: 112
Merit: 17

View Profile
February 18, 2018, 11:19:54 PM
Merited by codewench (1)

As far as the basics of Lightning Network is concerned, it builds an additional layer on top of the Bitcoin network that enables instant off-chain transfer of the ownership of the Bitcoin. Lightning Network utilizes bi-directional payments channels that consist of multi-signature address.  Meaning Bitcoin will be held in a multi-signature address where transaction will use a multi-sign address as their input and point at two different address as their output. The transaction inside the lighting network are not broadcasted to the bitcoin network as long the channel is open (in order to reduce the load on the blockchain). To open a channel you have to lock funds in a multi-sign address. This is with an on-chain transaction. So those funds can't be used to pay Cindy on-chain. They can't be used to pay Cindy on LN either without both Alice and Bob's approval since it's a multisig address that requires both Alice's and Bob's signature. This is how Alice is prevented from double spending.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: