Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:16:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Clive Wearing, the man with a 30 second memory.  (Read 99 times)
Parodium (OP)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 332

DMs have been disabled. I am busy.

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 10:37:24 AM

Imagine living in a world where time does not exist, that is the case for Clive Wearing, a man who due to viral encephalitis has a ~30 second memory.

Every second is a shock to him, he feels he has never been awake before, never seen another human, never eaten, never slept, he is a man truly out of touch with reality.

Check out the documentary below, it is a fascinating watch;

Clive wearing, the man with the 30 second memory

If this interests you, you may also want to look at Henry Molaison (H.M) who was left with severe retrograde amnesia due to a surgical procedure which destroyed his hippocampus.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NotAtOld

Activity: 200
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 10:51:37 AM

Wow, i can't imagine what these people feel and i m so sorry for them. It is very interesting phenomenon
porfenovich

Activity: 164
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 01:23:54 PM

Imagine living in a world where time does not exist, that is the case for Clive Wearing, a man who due to viral encephalitis has a ~30 second memory.

Every second is a shock to him, he feels he has never been awake before, never seen another human, never eaten, never slept, he is a man truly out of touch with reality.

Check out the documentary below, it is a fascinating watch;

Clive wearing, the man with the 30 second memory

If this interests you, you may also want to look at Henry Molaison (H.M) who was left with severe retrograde amnesia due to a surgical procedure which destroyed his hippocampus.

To live like this is worse than not to live. I believe that when you do not realize and perceive yourself.. it's better to stop this.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 02:22:14 AM

That's like an sad version of 50 First Dates. Haven't watched the 48m video but definitely admire the wife's dedication.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 05:23:05 AM

That's like an sad version of 50 First Dates. Haven't watched the 48m video but definitely admire the wife's dedication.

It's much, much worse. You can't even have a conversion with Clive about anything substantial. He would quite literally have the same conversation over and over again if given the chance, and he would never know. Honestly, I can't believe his wife has managed for this long, she must have unbelievable patience.

Definitely plenty of love. I think the only consolation was that Clive was unaware of his condition so it don't bother him. If the limit was a day though, he'd probably spend half of it pitying himself before resetting the next day.  Cry
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: