Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:17:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why I Unlicense  (Read 2550 times)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 25, 2011, 10:30:34 PM

http://wiki.kibabase.com/Why_I_Unlicense

It's an article said why I am unlicensing my content in the first place. It's for my "Kibabase" brand.

I was hoping someone could do a critique of it to make it much more persuasive.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chris200x9
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 26, 2011, 08:12:05 PM

unlicense is for children, real men WTFPL Cheesy
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2011, 07:28:26 AM

unlicense is for children, real men WTFPL Cheesy
Cheesy
http://wiki.kibabase.com/Why_I_Unlicense

It's an article said why I am unlicensing my content in the first place. It's for my "Kibabase" brand.

I was hoping someone could do a critique of it to make it much more persuasive.

kibabase.com is not loading on my computer.  Sad

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2011, 01:54:29 PM

kibabase.com is not loading on my computer.  Sad

It's downtime fun from my host:

Quote from: dreamhost
Update: 02:07 (PST) We’ve restored connectivity and we’re currently in the process of cleaning our network that has been affected. This may be seen on your website as MySQL downtime and our admin staff is currently fixing that up.

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2011, 08:27:10 AM

works now.  Thanks for taking care of that, and I'm proud of you for making such a public declaration.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2011, 03:22:06 PM

works now.  Thanks for taking care of that, and I'm proud of you for making such a public declaration.

While praise is nice, I am more interested in criticism so that I can improve my writing.

em3rgentOrdr

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2011, 08:46:14 PM

While praise is nice, I am more interested in criticism so that I can improve my writing.

You mean grammar?

"That mean all the future works that ever put out by me..." => "That means that all future works that will ever be put out by me..."

"I don't mean just consume, but to modify and commercialize as well." => "I don't mean just to consume, but to modify and to commercialize as well." OR "I don't mean just consume, but to modify and commercialize as well."

"Rather, I believed it make rational sense(confers economic benefit) for me to do so." => "Rather, I believed it makes rational sense (confers economic benefit) for me to do so."  (previous tense was not past)

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
January 30, 2011, 08:58:55 PM

You don't seem to have a complete understanding of English grammar, and I find your writing jarring for that reason.

First two paragraphs:

That mean all

Incorrect verb tense:
That means all

that ever put out by me

Missing tense words:
that will ever be put out by me

I don't mean just consume, but to modify and commercialize as well.

"Consume" is a verb, but you used it as a noun. I changed the other verbs as well because the items in a list should use the same form.

I don't mean just consumption, but modification and commercialization as well.

Rather, I believed it make rational sense

Tense disagreement:
Rather, I believed it made rational sense

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 30, 2011, 09:08:51 PM

You mean grammar?

Grammar is fundamental, but that's not all what I have in mind. The essay's thesis is why you should unlicense using my announcement as a hook-in.

Thanks anyway, I seem to have found out what I should really focus on in the essay.

Anonymous

January 31, 2011, 03:58:09 PM

I will be doing the same with my future writing, spare a complete unlicensing. You may believe plagiarism is self-policing; however, I rather not take that risk. It seems only sensible to me to be credited to labor I have created. It is an extension of me and I want assured protection.

Man should be able to shape his matter and energy into any form he chooses --regardless if it be identical to mine-- but he may not present ideas and creativity generated by another individual as his own. It is fraud and to me a form of theft. I believe I should have legal protections against such theft as I have protection to the right to my own life.

Let me continue to say that all men should have the right to be credited to the ideas they generated. The idea will always require their labor alone; however, the labor to produce it into tangible energy or matter should exclusively belong to the producers of said matter and energy.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2011, 04:02:43 PM

I will be doing the same with my future writing, spare a complete unlicensing. You may believe plagiarism is self-policing; however, I rather not take that risk. It seems only sensible to me to be credited to labor I have created. It is an extension of me and I want assured protection.

Experiment!

Let reality be your best guide.

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
January 31, 2011, 04:41:00 PM

he may not present ideas and creativity generated by another individual as his own

That's an ambitious principle, and I presume you will be true to it in your own work.

How will you be crediting all those phrases that were first generated by someone else? For starters, if you use any of the following phrases you'll need to credit William Shakespeare for originally generating them:

fool's paradise, foregone conclusion, tower of strength, eye-sore, bated breath, breathe one's last, budge an inch, cold comfort, come full circle, come what may, done to death, elbow room, for goodness sake, good riddance, not slept one wink, into thin air, knock knock ... who's there, laughing-stock, love is blind, my own flesh and blood, neither a borrower nor a lender be, brave new world, one fell swoop, play fast and loose, sorry sight, something in the wind, spotless reputation, be-all and end-all, kill all the lawyers, the game is up, the naked truth, this be madness, throw cold water on it, neither here nor there, too much of a good thing, unkindest cut of all, such stuff as dreams are made on, have seen better days, what's done is done, what's in a name, etc
Anonymous

January 31, 2011, 05:38:38 PM

he may not present ideas and creativity generated by another individual as his own

That's an ambitious principle, and I presume you will be true to it in your own work.

How will you be crediting all those phrases that were first generated by someone else? For starters, if you use any of the following phrases you'll need to credit William Shakespeare for originally generating them:

fool's paradise, foregone conclusion, tower of strength, eye-sore, bated breath, breathe one's last, budge an inch, cold comfort, come full circle, come what may, done to death, elbow room, for goodness sake, good riddance, not slept one wink, into thin air, knock knock ... who's there, laughing-stock, love is blind, my own flesh and blood, neither a borrower nor a lender be, brave new world, one fell swoop, play fast and loose, sorry sight, something in the wind, spotless reputation, be-all and end-all, kill all the lawyers, the game is up, the naked truth, this be madness, throw cold water on it, neither here nor there, too much of a good thing, unkindest cut of all, such stuff as dreams are made on, have seen better days, what's done is done, what's in a name, etc
I am only arguing for reasonable protection from intentional fraud. To argue protection for these phrases is like arguing for the protection of the theft of personal time in increments of minutes or seconds.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2011, 04:53:06 AM

I fixed some grammar faults. Thanks for whatever traffic you guys gave me.

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2011, 01:10:27 PM

Not all countries recognise such a thing as "Public Domain", which is why it might be better to say more explicitly, "Public Domain, or the equivalent legal concept", or, indeed, just say explicitly, "do what the fuck you want!".

Personally, I wouldn't be doing what you are doing, but I love that you are up for it. I think that in this capitalist world, laying legal claim on my work (even if I say, go, do what you want, just credit me), is important. And, actually, often I also copyleft my stuff, so that it remains in the free culture. That's important too I think.
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2011, 03:25:06 PM

Personally, I wouldn't be doing what you are doing, but I love that you are up for it. I think that in this capitalist world, laying legal claim on my work (even if I say, go, do what you want, just credit me), is important. And, actually, often I also copyleft my stuff, so that it remains in the free culture. That's important too I think.

Why don't YOU experiment?

View Profile
February 07, 2011, 09:55:12 AM

Three reasons.

1) I like that people credit me, and well, I want to be able to be able threaten corporations with their own laws if they don't.
2) I like copyleft (and use it for some of my stuff, particularly larger programs - I often also make use of copyleft work, which requires that the work I build upon it also be copyleft), and so, same reason as above.

Well, actually that's only two reasons. But seriously, I'm a big supporter of Free Culture, and I think that both copyleft, and attribution (requiring the original location of the work (in the form of a web address in most cases)), can contribute to this more than so called "unlicensed" work.

In your case, if you say, "do whatever you want with any of my stuff", there is nothing to prevent corporations form locking up your work, and preventing others from using it (well, unless they get it from the original source). Of course, the same applies for things I do, but at least I have some legal threats if I catch 'em doing it.

View Profile
February 07, 2011, 01:06:07 PM

On another note, related to your post. Why not link to http://unlicense.org/ ? That would make it clearer that you are part of a broader movement. (That's something that I came across today, while looking for bitcoin related PHP stuff.)
kiba (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 07, 2011, 01:33:00 PM

In your case, if you say, "do whatever you want with any of my stuff", there is nothing to prevent corporations form locking up your work, and preventing others from using it (well, unless they get it from the original source). Of course, the same applies for things I do, but at least I have some legal threats if I catch 'em doing it.

Isn't it wrong to use coercion against people who do not share their own property?

View Profile
February 08, 2011, 06:37:11 AM

The thing is, I don't give a fuck about corporations or rich bastards. And so am happy to coerce them into following their own legal system.

Also, the fact is that corporations and rich bastards coerce me all the time. They get to use the state to do it, so when it comes to them, I'm not going to back down.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: