Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 09:30:43 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Ethereum" founder warns cryptocurrencies ‘could drop to near-zero at any time’  (Read 454 times)
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 4425

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 04:36:39 PM

should we be worried?  Undecided

No, ETH is one major shithole and it will not going anywhere.

ETH is NOT decentralised, ETH is NOT a world super computer. I'm wiping my ass off with diarrhea with ETH  Undecided

Rootstock will bring a real smart contract platform to Bitcoin.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 3010
Merit: 600

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 04:39:43 PM

Yes if you put that much in ETH or you sold your home for ETH.
Vitalik Buterin also said "“If you're trying to figure out where to store your life savings, traditional assets are still your safest bet"

I think Gold and Silver are traditional assets
Gold and silver will never be out of the league and also don't forget that real estate is another one. I remembered the video I watched that Robert Kiyosaki said, real estate is the best investment.
Don Pedro Dinero
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1555

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 04:46:56 PM

For me, he is not saying anything new. As this is a bitcoin forum, there are many bitcoin and crypto fans here, but bitcoin and cryptos are a risky investment and a wise investor would only have them as a part of an investment portfolio.

It is a matter of risk and reward. If you have everything in bitcoin or a fancy coin and everything goes fine you will make a lot of money, but you may end up with zero. If you want to have a safer investment, you may allocate your money in different places, such as metals, bonds, savings accounts, stocks, etfs and then bitcoin and cryptos.

eagleman

Activity: 1190
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 04:47:21 PM

Even it's a warning coming from, why he didn't said that when ETH is only $20?
Probably because as the price increased a lot compared to a few years ago, a lot of people grew to become more and more unrealistic with their expectations when it comes to the market especially with the recent huge influx of investors(100x price increase is possible? why not 10000x!). Heck, people are stupid enough to even sell their homes to invest in crypto. Expectations are definitely too high.
Maybe Vitalik thinks that every investors are aiming to become rich in crypto which is real and everyone is expecting that way.

Those people who sell their homes for crypto did really their own research and they figured out that it can bring more money to them just for the sake of the profit so they did that as its their option. It probably because of greediness too.
Borisov

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 04:58:20 PM

Yes, he meant that don't need to mortgage the house expensive things, take out loans and borrow from friends! and invest only your money and only the amount of the Kotuy river is not a pity to lose! that would be all crypto currency is dead, it is necessary that all the people are very much disappointed in it! until that until this us far!
andrew1carlssin

Activity: 168
Merit: 3

#Please, read:Daniel Ellsberg,-The Doomsday *wk

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2018, 05:05:05 PM

Bill Gates on development versus venture capital

"You know, development sometimes is viewed as a project in which you give people things and nothing much happens, which is perfectly valid, but if you just focus on that, then you'd also have to say that venture capital is pretty stupid, too. Its hit rate is pathetic. But occasionally, you get successes, you fund a Google or something, and suddenly venture capital is vaunted as the most amazing field of all time. Our hit rate in development is better than theirs, but we should strive to make it better."

Rolling Stone, March 13, 2014

Satoshi's book editor; SCIpher - https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/scipher.html
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 05:09:32 PM

I wonder if that was a part of the speech Buterin gave to Peter Thiel when he was sucking his ass for VC money?

Buterin is parroting almost the exact same thing that Gavin Andresen said about bitcoin 4-5 years ago. When lead devs start talking like that it always makes me a little nervous. What insider info do they have that I don’t have? Are they just trying to wash their conscience clean if something they see on the horizon actually happens? That kind of statement is just too valueless and convenient but it does provide a segue to the future statement of, “well, I did warn you people so you can’t blame me.”

Edit: Andresen was a cofounder of The Bitcoin Foundation with Mark Karpeles. Andresen made his statement to that effect shortly before we all found out that Karpeles was about to “lose” a half million bitcoins.

aardvark15

Activity: 1008
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 05:17:51 PM

I think the point is that cryptocurrencies are still risky investments. There is a chance of a catastrophic collapse if governments were to ban cryptocurrencies or if there was a 51% attack. I don’t think that will happen but I am cautious with how much money I am investing in these coins. Only invest an amount that you can afford to lose.
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2107

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 05:31:14 PM

No, ETH is one major shithole and it will not going anywhere.

ETH is NOT decentralised, ETH is NOT a world super computer. I'm wiping my ass off with diarrhea with ETH  Undecided

Rootstock will bring a real smart contract platform to Bitcoin.

I would have put it slightly differently, but you're not wrong.

I'm still not holding my breath for Rootstock though.

Gold and silver will never be out of the league and also don't forget that real estate is another one. I remembered the video I watched that Robert Kiyosaki said, real estate is the best investment.

Real estate is the best investment? Tell that to the USA of 2007. Or early 90's Japan. Real estate bubbles are a thing too.

Buterin is parroting almost the exact same thing that Gavin Andresen said about bitcoin 4-5 years ago. When lead devs start talking like that it always makes me a little nervous. What insider info do they have that I don’t have? Are they just trying to wash their conscience clean if something they see on the horizon actually happens? That kind of statement is just too valueless and convenient but it does provide a segue to the future statement of, “well, I did warn you people so you can’t blame me.”

Edit: Andresen was a cofounder of The Bitcoin Foundation with Mark Karpeles. Andresen made his statement to that effect shortly before we all found out that Karpeles was about to “lose” a half million bitcoins.

Bitcoin has sold itself as an "economic experiment" since the very beginning, so such statements are nothing new. In fact it is indeed something that needs repeating during times of overinflated expectations. Good observation though. I hope there's nothing bad waiting in the bushes for our fellow ETHers.
tamango

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 05:40:29 PM

I agree with Vitalic Buterin, one must invest a very few % of his savings in crypto... you can have a huge gain but  also huge losses... I heard of people asking credits to buy cypto.. this is insane and very dangerous.....
I believe that crypto will develop even more and will not fall but I know the risks...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 05:45:22 PM

Bitcoin has sold itself as an "economic experiment" since the very beginning, so such statements are nothing new. In fact it is indeed something that needs repeating during times of overinflated expectations. Good observation though. I hope there's nothing bad waiting in the bushes for our fellow ETHers.

I hope there nothing major coming up too. I just find those kind of statements are usually very carefully timed.

bucksman5233

Activity: 264
Merit: 100

TV TWO - Connect your TV to ETH Blockchain

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2018, 05:47:24 PM

Ofcourse it's kinda true. We don't need founder of ETH vitalik to announce this for us. Everybody should understand the risks associated with investment before investing. As cryptocurrencies are highly volatile and high risky investment one should not put his/her entire life savings into it.

cryptopuma

Activity: 202

SIMPLE SHOPPING AND SAFE PAY

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 05:57:05 PM

He is indeed right,we shouldnt be risking all our money in cryptocurrencies,only invest the amount that we can afford to lose because he is right the market is too volatile that can rise and fall within just an hour,there is nothing wrong about his statement people just cant accept the truth because they are blinded with the money that they can with only investing to cryptocurrencies.

matsusomoto

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 06:04:29 PM

He is just telling the truth,those people who get angry because he said that are morelikely fools and being blinded by their greeds,cryptocurrencies too volatile especially bitcoin's market is too risky for most of the investors,a lot of manipulations drives bitcoin's price rise and fall in just a matter of hours which is very unhealthy because most of the altcoins are reacting to bitcoin's movements.

First77 (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 32

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 01:16:03 AM

Real estates (house, land etc..) are necessities. Gold and Silver are traditional assets when you have extra money  Wink
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 3010
Merit: 600

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:43:34 AM

Real estate is the best investment? Tell that to the USA of 2007. Or early 90's Japan. Real estate bubbles are a thing too.
He said that and we know that RK is quite old enough so that's the real thing to him and in my country its one of the best so I have no question with it. Everything is a bubble in this world so if you had those bubbles, lucky you.

Real estates (house, land etc..) are necessities. Gold and Silver are traditional assets when you have extra money  Wink
AFAIK, Real estate is also a traditional asset.
aervin11

Activity: 602
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:29:33 AM

Lots of people on social media sites like Facebook are raging against Vitalik due to what he said. But he's actually right. The cryptocurrency could take a nosedive anytime and could take years and years on end to rebound in price. In my opinion what Vitalik said is better than shilling Ethereum for price rises. People on Facebook are saying that Vitalik is spreading FUD; but Vitalik is a very smart guy, and he's just being very realistic.

Being realistic?I don't know I think he should just shut his mouth and enjoy his new find riches, he is a multi millionaire now, but unlike the creator of Bitcoin, he is well known some of the his quotes are ruining what he has built and the other people around his ethereum.

I think I'ts just being realistic. The fact that he owns the Top 2 Marketcap which is Ethereum and talking sh*ts about his project and the whole cryptcurrencies that this business is too volatile and new investors might lose their lifetime savings. I mean his just being honest and hoping that he could avoid new investors to come when they are not ready for the market players will just easily beat them. Resulting, new investors to spread much more FUD because of their loss. What Mr.Buterin did was just right and justifiable. I think he is more into humans than money, unlike you.
First77 (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 32

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:48:26 PM

Got the message ??
boyjackyou

Activity: 301
Merit: 11

DATABLOCKCHAIN.IO SALE IS LIVE | MVP @ DBC.IO

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:19:31 PM

Virtual currencies are still a newcomer class in the world of assets and could drastically fall at any time, according to the founder of blockchain network Ethereum and the digital currency of the same name, Vitalik Buterin.
“Reminder: cryptocurrencies are still a new and hyper-volatile asset class, and could drop to near-zero at any time,” the entrepreneur tweeted. “Don't put in more money than you can afford to lose.”According to the programmer, people shouldn’t invest into assets which are so highly volatile

“If you're trying to figure out where to store your life savings, traditional assets are still your safest bet,” Buterin added.Digital currencies managed to recover slightly after a massive sell-off earlier this year that washed nearly $100 billion out of the market in a single day. Bitcoin, the world’s number one cryptocurrency, recovered to $11,000 this week after falling below $6,000 earlier in the month. Other digital currencies also rose after posting steep losses last month. Ethereum, the second-largest crypto by market value, was trading at $946, while third-ranked ripple climbed to $1.15

https://www.rt.com/business
Vitalik Butern is just telling the truth,cryptocurrency's high volality is unpredictable because it could rise and fall in just matter of hours,unlike to forex and stock exchanges thar fluctuations are far less than our market,the market could easily crash if these bankers wanted that to happen,Tether has a of supply,enough to crash our whole market in the future.

nakauten

Activity: 210

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:30:48 PM

Theres nothing wrong about his statement,hes just telling the truth and the risk of being involve to a high volatile market.Cryptocurerncies downside would be that,high market volatility that could make the whole market rise and fall in just matter of hours,if you arent good in waiting i am sure this market wouldnt be an ideal place for you,he is just giving is some possible situation because we wont know when will these bankers will move to destroy our whole community.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: