Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:27:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transferring bitcoins by sound?  (Read 2737 times)
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:51:57 AM

I was wondering if there would be a way to transmit bitcoins by sound.  I know you can send and recieve by scanning QR codes but it seems like that could easily be converted to sound.  

I guess it would sound like a 300 baud modem.  Also I'm not sure what real world purpose this would have.  Just wondering if its been talked about.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ctoon6

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:02:21 AM

you mean hold your device close to a terminal and it plays a sound it picks up? i could see that working.

Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:07:33 AM

you mean hold your device close to a terminal and it plays a sound it picks up? i could see that working.

Yep exactly like that.  Maybe you could even transfer them through lan lines like that I dont know. lol
ctoon6

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:09:01 AM

like dialup? that would work, it transfers data like any other type, just really slow, slower than 56k so like 10-30 seconds per block or more even.

Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:19:52 AM

like dialup? that would work, it transfers data like any other type, just really slow, slower than 56k so like 10-30 seconds per block or more even.

Actually I dont know what I'm thinking.  Not like dialup though.  What if a radio station wanted to give out 10 free bitcions at some point during the day.  You'd have to be waiting with your smartphone up to the speaker to hear the garbled mess they send through.  Once your phone picks up the garbled mess it decodes it and you get your bitcoins. 

Not sure if something like that would work with blockchains and what nots.  Just an thought.

ctoon6

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:22:48 AM

the more garbled the sound gets, the longer it will take to reliably send. on dialup you only get 56k on a good day, and your hooked directly up to the line. but its not much text so it may only take like 1-2 seconds to get. but i dont see why it would not work, thats pretty much just like dial up, changing data into sound, then changing the sound into data on the other end. that's how this and dial up work.

Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:26:10 AM

If it has to be audible, the max bitrate is about 3~4Kbps IIRC. Or 0.5KB/s, no idea how large is a bitcoin send/receive packet though.
rethaw

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:34:46 AM

You could send the private key for a wallet. That, or a mtgox voucher would probably be the most efficient method.

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:49:00 AM

At first i thought this was about performing transactions using audio to transport the transaction request for the first time, for things like a blind client in a mobile that doesn't got a fresh blockchain, only the private key of an address that was expected to have money (so you could for example use a cheap(er) device that doesn't got an internet connection, walk to a vending machine, press a couple buttons and place the device against the mic of the vending machine, and the vending machine would relay the transaction to the internet); i'm not quite sure now....

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
myhoho
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:54:25 AM

"My address sounds better than yours" Cheesy
Hey, we have some other technologies to use... like Bluetooth or wi-fi.. even IR... Transmission of information using sound is stone age...

██████▄  ▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄         
██████████████████████████▄▄     
█████████████████████████████▄   
▄███████████████████████████████ 
▄▄███▄     ▄██████████  ████████▀▀▀██████████
▄██████   ████████████  ████████   ███████████
▄████████▀   █████████    ██    ████████▀▀▀███████
▀████▄  ▄   ████████████  ████████████   ███████
▀████▀     ▀██████████  █████████████████████
▀███████████████████████████████ 
█████████████████████████████▀   
██████████████████████████▀▀     
██████▀  ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀         
ROCKET

▄▄    ▄▄

▄▄    ▄▄

ENTHRALLING GRAPHICS
● NEW TYPE OF GAMES
100% REFERRAL BONUS
((       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄████████ ██ █████████▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀████████▄
▄███████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀███████▄
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████▀▀██
█████████   ████    ███▄▄██
▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄██▀  █▀
 ▀█████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄███▀  █▀
  ▀████████ ██ ████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄█████████████████████▄
 ▄████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄███▄
▄████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄████▄
█████▀               ██████
█████▄              ███▀▀██
██████▄            ████▄▄██
▀██████▄▄        ▄████▀  █▀
 ▀████▄       ▄██████▀  █▀
  ▀████████████████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
       ▄▄█████████▄▄
    ▄█████████████████▄
  ▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████████▀     ████████▄
▄██████████   ████████████▄
█████████        ██████████
█████████▄▄   ▄▄███████▀▀██
███████████   █████████▄▄██
▀██████████   ████████▀  █▀
 ▀█████████   ███████▀  █▀
  ▀████████▄▄▄█████▀  ▄█▀
    ▀████████████▀ ▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█████████▀▀
))
Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:58:46 AM

Hey, we have some other technologies to use... like Bluetooth or wi-fi.. even IR... Transmission of information using sound is stone age...

Thanks for crushing my dreams of winning 10 btcs by holding my phone up to the speaker of my favorite classic rock station bro.

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 04:59:43 AM

I read somewhere on these forums (or an article) that Bitcoins could even be sent via smoke signal. All they are is a code, so in theory one could transfer that code in a million creative ways =)
Xephan

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 05:13:48 AM

Telephone and AM/FM radio coverage is more complete than BT/Wifi/IR so there could be some situations where being able to transact via audio might be useful. Not a lot but possible. Cheesy

triforcelink

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 06:57:50 AM

Except for the fact that the vast majority of cellphones on this planet do NOT support bluetooth OR wifi, call it 'stone age' but if it works there is no need for something fancy like bluetooth or wifi.

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 07:06:57 AM

But can you install custom software in such devices? And are they even powerful enough to decode data from the audio stream without the addition of a dedicated chip?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 07:26:26 AM

Nice idea, but to effectively transfer to cell-phones (even very old ones): just use SMS Smiley

But for smartphones it would probably be trivial to make a little app that does exactly what you propose.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
triforcelink

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 07:29:11 AM

It's funny, because I have been thinking about this EXACT thing for the past week. I was thinking that there could be a bitcoin transfer protocol which would use an audio signal to send bitcoins to a near by device. Here is what i wrote up over the past week:

While thinking about how to simplify bitcoin, I stumbled upon something. I don't know how unique this is or how well it could work, but here it is.

Cell/Smart phones are some of the most abundant devices around, however, they typically do not support many features due to hardware limitations, bluetooth or wifi are out of the question for the vast majority. However, there are two components that all cellphones have: a microphone and a speaker. What if we could use these to facilitate in person bitcoin transactions?

The following is my attempt at creating a protocol for audio bitcoin transfers. It is not limited to cellphones nor is it limited to an audio signal.

1) Protocol initiation signature + encryption flag
Enabled devices could be continuously listening for an audio signature which would indicate a bitcoin transaction request. And an encryption flag, responding to this flag with an encrypted acknowledgement would allow you to connect ONLY with a trusted party.

2) Bitcoin address  - an appropriate address is sent/requested as a part of the header

3) BTC amount - a number indicating how many bitcoins will be involved in this transaction. Entering a wild character (*) could allow the other party to choose how much they want to send.

4) Name/Message - a limited length name or message to help manage an address book or to say something like 'thank you'

5) Confirm and close transaction.

There could be some sort of volume control to help prevent interference with other devices near by.

Example of use 1
I go shopping in a super market, I pick out my products and then go up to the cash register, the cashier and the cashier scans all my products and hits the request payment button, immediately my device vibrates to alert me of a payment request, I swipe 'O' on my touch screen to accept the request and the transaction is done!

Example of use 2
A charity wishes to collect donations for their cause or maybe a politician wants to raise some funds for their campaign. While doing a presentation, they broadcast their address and all listening devices are alerted of an incoming address, to which they can send any btc amount.

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1001

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 07:39:34 AM

Cell/Smart phones are some of the most abundant devices around, however, they typically do not support many features due to hardware limitations, bluetooth or wifi are out of the question for the vast majority. However, there are two components that all cellphones have: a microphone and a speaker. What if we could use these to facilitate in person bitcoin transactions?
You'd probably have a hard time running any piece of software on devices that neither have bluetooth nor wifi.
The idea is nice, but I think it's simply not practical for old cell-phones to use Bitcoin in any way.

As for smartphones - sure, go for it!

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
triforcelink

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 07:46:38 AM

You'd probably have a hard time running any piece of software on devices that neither have bluetooth nor wifi.
The idea is nice, but I think it's simply not practical for old cell-phones to use Bitcoin in any way.

As for smartphones - sure, go for it!

all we need is a small door, and we're in! Sure, it may not be as easy to program an old phone as it is a current gen smartphone, but thats no excuse not to try! http://www.cellphonehacks.com/

Bitcoin Swami (OP)

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 03:08:30 PM

It's funny, because I have been thinking about this EXACT thing for the past week. I was thinking that there could be a bitcoin transfer protocol which would use an audio signal to send bitcoins to a near by device. Here is what i wrote up over the past week:

While thinking about how to simplify bitcoin, I stumbled upon something. I don't know how unique this is or how well it could work, but here it is.

The following is my attempt at creating a protocol for audio bitcoin transfers. It is not limited to cellphones nor is it limited to an audio signal.

1) Protocol initiation signature + encryption flag
Enabled devices could be continuously listening for an audio signature which would indicate a bitcoin transaction request. And an encryption flag, responding to this flag with an encrypted acknowledgement would allow you to connect ONLY with a trusted party.

2) Bitcoin address  - an appropriate address is sent/requested as a part of the header

3) BTC amount - a number indicating how many bitcoins will be involved in this transaction. Entering a wild character (*) could allow the other party to choose how much they want to send.

4) Name/Message - a limited length name or message to help manage an address book or to say something like 'thank you'

5) Confirm and close transaction.

There could be some sort of volume control to help prevent interference with other devices near by.

Example of use 1
I go shopping in a super market, I pick out my products and then go up to the cash register, the cashier and the cashier scans all my products and hits the request payment button, immediately my device vibrates to alert me of a payment request, I swipe 'O' on my touch screen to accept the request and the transaction is done!

Example of use 2
A charity wishes to collect donations for their cause or maybe a politician wants to raise some funds for their campaign. While doing a presentation, they broadcast their address and all listening devices are alerted of an incoming address, to which they can send any btc amount.

cool man glad to see I wasn't the only one. lol  Although you're alot more technical than me.  Looks good.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: