Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:02:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: is ETH 'too big to fail'?  (Read 583 times)
European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 05:44:53 PM

bitcoin's value is based on its monetary properties and less on its technical qualities. as long as it functions as advertised then 'good enough' is a powerful incentive to keep refining it. it only has one job to do.

ethereum is of course huge too, but its fundamental value proposition is utility. it's effectively a software platform, not money.

since that's the case then is the case for it being usurped by something that does the job better higher than bitcoin?

if something that doesn't require learning a new language, is much more foolproof, that addresses scaling and blockchain bloat comes along with enough oomph does it have a shot at unseating ETH or is everyone now incentivised enough to make ethereum the one?

personally i don't think ethereum's future in fully in the bag and people are learning more and more every day. what do you think?
MoonIsBlue

Activity: 406
Merit: 111

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 06:56:30 PM
Merited by European Central Bank (2)

bitcoin's value is based on its monetary properties and less on its technical qualities. as long as it functions as advertised then 'good enough' is a powerful incentive to keep refining it. it only has one job to do.

ethereum is of course huge too, but its fundamental value proposition is utility. it's effectively a software platform, not money.

since that's the case then is the case for it being usurped by something that does the job better higher than bitcoin?

if something that doesn't require learning a new language, is much more foolproof, that addresses scaling and blockchain bloat comes along with enough oomph does it have a shot at unseating ETH or is everyone now incentivised enough to make ethereum the one?

personally i don't think ethereum's future in fully in the bag and people are learning more and more every day. what do you think?

I think in both situations you have to regard Bitcoin and Ethereum as a network. The more people join Bitcoin, the more valueable the network is, the more people build on Ethereum, the more valueable Ethereum is. I wouldn't say Ethereum is too big to fail though, there are certainly alternatives that work really well/better in some aspects and since its all quite early we might see less companies join Ethereum in a few years and more companies use other blockchain platforms, as there are more companies coming out that connect existing infrastructure (blockchains) it wouldn't really matter to a company to use Ethereum or another blockchain as they can still communicate with their client thats on another blockchain. So we'll have to see. Ethereum has potential though to outgrow any other crypto including Bitcoin, but Bitcoin has relatively low competition as opposed to Ethereum. Most people see Litecoin for example as complimentary to Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash isn't taken very seriously (though I personally think we will see more of them). But with BaaS platforms we see clear competion.

bob3772

Activity: 415
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 07:05:57 PM

Heard too big to fail and immediately started thinking of banks and then the cost to the altcoin market if Ethereum would fail. Was trying to work out how a scenario could arise where Eth was saved by other coins in the market.

Now I know that's not what we were getting at here... Eth like many is replaceable but it has a big headstart in that it's already working and has huge support. If something comes along that is more user friendly or offers a faster and cheaper service then it only stands to reason that ETH will have a battle on its hands to remain top dog.

cryptor47

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 07:21:11 PM

I think in both situations you have to regard Bitcoin and Ethereum as a network. The more people join Bitcoin, the more valueable the network is, the more people build on Ethereum, the more valueable Ethereum is. I wouldn't say Ethereum is too big to fail though, there are certainly alternatives that work really well/better in some aspects and since its all quite early we might see less companies join Ethereum in a few years and more companies use other blockchain platforms, as there are more companies coming out that connect existing infrastructure (blockchains) it wouldn't really matter to a company to use Ethereum or another blockchain as they can still communicate with their client thats on another blockchain. So we'll have to see. Ethereum has potential though to outgrow any other crypto including Bitcoin, but Bitcoin has relatively low competition as opposed to Ethereum. Most people see Litecoin for example as complimentary to Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash isn't taken very seriously (though I personally think we will see more of them). But with BaaS platforms we see clear competion.

This are very good points. Ethereum also has the advantage of being the first smart contract platform and some other competing projects will have to try very hard to dethrone eth.
AllthewayUUppp

Activity: 84
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:00:25 PM

Well fundamentally speaking ETH was really and has no reason to fail why because they had a great team with a plans in a future. Bitcoin survive for a very long time without that and I know will ETH will do more after 5-10 years.
Koontas

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 09:16:02 PM

I also think that ETH can not fail. Because if it would fail this would mean that all ETH based projects will die. This would be end of crypto. Cheesy

Don't trust any exchange!
GlassMaster

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:33:05 AM

Here the founders said that everything in zero can fall, and we are talking about prospects. Ether certainly is good no one and does not argue, and the price is growing at a slow pace, there is a risk but not such that it completely dies or is zero.

ICO-Master

Activity: 189
Merit: 13

Filter the wheat from the chaff.

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:53:58 AM

I have said from the last 3 months, eventually when the real crypto bubble bursts, it will be made out of ether and all these so called tokens will just vaporize.
DogTheHunter

Activity: 784
Merit: 272

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:58:13 AM

I think it's good that Solidity learns more. It's growing much faster than the ecosystem.
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1213

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:11:59 AM

Ethereum is big, because it contributes around 20% to the entire cryptocurrency under circulation. Another thing, with ETH as the base lot of other tokens too have gained good popularity as well growth. In this context Eth could grow rather than a fail.

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
Hallmader

Activity: 1123
Merit: 253

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:15:18 AM

It is not about Ethereum too big to fail. It is about Ethereum having something to put on the table. The cryptocurrency world is being dominated by Ethereum-based coins. This only means that Ethereum is already playing a very vital role in the entire crypto setup. And the full potential of Ethereum is still not yet maximized. There are still a lot of huge companies out there planning to join the Ethereum blockchain community. I think we are going to see Ethereum in the $2,000 level in a month or two.

JACS|JUST ANOTHER
COMMUNICATIONS
STACK
██     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ██
████████████ █▄
████████████ ███▄
████████████ █████▄
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
███████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
███████████ ██ ████████████
███████▀▀▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀██████████
████████▄   ▄▄▄▄  ▀████████
█████████   ████   ████████
█████████         ▀████████
█████████   ████    ███████
████████▀   ▀▀▀▀   ▄███████
███████▄▄▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄▄█████████
███████████ ██ ████████████
█████▄    ███████▀    ▄████
███████    █████▀    ██████
███████     ███▀     ██████
███████ █    █▀ █    ██████
███████ ██     ██    ██████
███████ ███   ███    ██████
█████▀   ▀██ ███▀    ▀█████
█████▀               ▀█████
████▌                 ▐████
████       ██▄▄        ████
████       ██████      ████
████       ██▀▀        ████
████▌                 ▐████
█████▄               ▄█████
Pierre 2
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1358

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:16:24 AM

I think ethereum isn't that big at all comparing to global markets. You can also compare it to bitcoin as its much smaller.
It is undeniable hard to think crypto markets without Ethereum as it gives life to many tokens but I don't think it is impossible to bring down it.
MV7

Activity: 322
Merit: 107

WPP ENERGY - BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:17:54 AM

At this point, I would say so.

Just look at the amount of ICOs and coins running on the ETH platform. We're far every away from another platform taking over eth, even if they might technically be better platforms. Sort of like how there are many technically better coins than btc, but it's still the number 1 coin in terms of market share / use.

﹏﹏﹋﹌﹌ WPP ENERGY ﹌﹌﹋﹏﹏
☆═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══☆
≈ WORLD POWER PRODUCTION ≈

【 BACKED ASSET GREEN ENERGY TOKEN 】
☆═━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═☆
qazgroup

Activity: 1022
Merit: 20

RiveMont

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:20:19 AM

I personally believe that Ethereum is a stand out project in crypto sphere and we know the team of developers behind this project is one of the best, so i think this year we will see Eth growing to newer heights.

●   RiveMont   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  RVMT  ❱❱❱❱❱❱  
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  DeFi token  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
man22555

Activity: 430
Merit: 251

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:26:59 AM

I think we should define what is meant by "fail".

Ofcoure, the value of Ethereum might - like any other coin - dump to zero. But will the devs stop working then? Ofcourse not. They don't care about the fiat value, like others mentioned before, it has a lot of utility. Even if every single coin would lose its value, the projects would still grow further & further.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
t1Zona

Activity: 283
Merit: 47

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:47:01 AM

IMO, yes it's too big to fail. Ethereum is now spread incredibly in many projects, there is a great community working on it, for me the technology and its potential is amazing.

Having said that, I like the sentence "it's too big to fail", since we all know that other stuff that was too big too fail, they actually failed. So, always better to be a little bit sckeptical

Mister k

Activity: 322
Merit: 19

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 11:14:29 AM

Nothing is "too big to fail". If Ethereum fails to evolve, it will be replaced by a better technology, and even if some projects will stay on Ethereum because they won't have the possibility to change and adapt to new standards, it won't stay number one. There's already some other technologies that are under development and are much more performants, we'll have to wait and see whether Ethereum can keep the pace or not.

Loonie Network   ■■■■■   Loonie Token, An ERC20 Token   ■■■■■   LNI         
Participate in the Crowsale now
Whitepaper   ▲   Telegram   ▲   Twitter   ▲   ANN Thread
RoooooR
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

GigTricks.io | A CRYPTO ECOSYSTEM FOR ON-DEMAND EC

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 01:44:09 PM

for now all i can say is ETH is very promising to the point that it can surpassed it's full potential. More and more big companies are acknowledging it's potential to lead the market but i believe it will be taking so much time. but to think more and more cryptos are entering with an ETH platform is a good indicator the ETH has very very strong stand when it comes to being a solid cryptocurrency coin.

█ █ █ █ █
         ██           ██
       ██     █ █ █ █   ██
     ██    ██        ██
   ██   ██               
  ██   ██     ████████                  ██████████
            ███          ██   █████████     ██      ██████  ██   ███████  ██    ███   ███████
 ██   ██    ███              ██      ███    ██      ██          ███       ██   ███  ██
 ██   ██    ███  ██████  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ███   ██
            ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██████     ███████
 ██   ██    ███      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██  ██           ██
             ██      ██  ██  ██      ███    ██      ██      ██  ███       ██   ███         ██
 ██   ██      ███████    ██   █████████     ██      ██      ██   ███████  ██    ███  ███████
  ██   ██                           ███
   ██    ██          ██            ███
     ██    ██ █ █ █ █   ██
       ██             ██
          █ █ █ █ █ █

Telegram     Facebook     Twitter     Medium
-------------------------------------------------------------------
.WEBSITE. |█| .WHITEPAPER.

......BOUNTY......
-----------------------------------
..ANN THREAD..
Matic

Activity: 310

https://eloncity.io/

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 01:52:25 PM

Eth is very solid right now & with all the development going on and has an advantage for being "first".
Who knows what will happen in the future, but I don't expect we'll have only one smart contract crypto. There will be huge competition here, which is great.

lokinator

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 01:58:41 PM

Like others have mentioned; nothing is "too big to fail." Is it likely that ETH will fail anytime soon? No. Is it possible? Sure.

The future of any crypto is uncertain. Just like the future of any business, country or even society is uncertain. The end/death of anything is always more likely during it's infancy. And, by all accounts, crypto in general, is still in it's infancy.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: