Bitcoin Forum
July 18, 2024, 02:24:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you short a crypto pair on binance?  (Read 378 times)
vlad1111 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 11:55:05 PM

hello,

i have set up an account on binance, though i was curious to know can you short a crypto pair on binance?

I have deposited around $1,000usd in bitcoins on binance, I tried shorting a pair but it keeps saying "balance is not enough", though you can buy/long on binance without issue. Is there a way you can short a pair on binance rather than just having to go long all the time?

thank for you for taking the time to read this, much appreciated.
BTCMILLIONAIRE

Activity: 1358
Merit: 834

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 11:59:27 PM

Currently it's not possible to short on Binance. I am not aware of any plans that would change this in the near future.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 12:31:13 AM

hello,

i have set up an account on binance, though i was curious to know can you short a crypto pair on binance?

I have deposited around $1,000usd in bitcoins on binance, I tried shorting a pair but it keeps saying "balance is not enough", though you can buy/long on binance without issue. Is there a way you can short a pair on binance rather than just having to go long all the time?

You can only short bitcoin using the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) or Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE). You'd have to find a market maker / investment house to set up an account and use fiat money to conduct the transactions, but this could serve as an offset if you own Bitcoin. Use the short as a hedge. If you own bitcoin with Binance, you're long bitcoin in that wallet. Opening up a short position with CME or CBOE allows you to play both sides of the market...technically you can't lose.
vlad1111 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:49:03 AM

thank you BTCMILLIONAIRE and HabBear, much appreciated.

just finally, are either of you aware on whether shorting can be done on the bittrex exchange?
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:32:36 AM

hello,

You can only short bitcoin using the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) or Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE). You'd have to find a market maker / investment house to set up an account and use fiat money to conduct the transactions, but this could serve as an offset if you own Bitcoin. Use the short as a hedge. If you own bitcoin with Binance, you're long bitcoin in that wallet. Opening up a short position with CME or CBOE allows you to play both sides of the market...technically you can't lose.

Nonsense. Tim Enneking was laughing about this on a conference call the other day. He keeps seeing stuff like this in the media, and he's been shorting Bitcoin for the past 4-5 years. I know Bitfinex is one exchange you can short BTC on. Pretty sure you can short BTC at Poloniex on margin (vs. tether) as well.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
glaciercapital

Activity: 145
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 07:02:43 AM

hello,

Nonsense. Tim Enneking was laughing about this on a conference call the other day. He keeps seeing stuff like this in the media, and he's been shorting Bitcoin for the past 4-5 years. I know Bitfinex is one exchange you can short BTC on. Pretty sure you can short BTC at Poloniex on margin (vs. tether) as well.

You can short many alts on bitmex, you need to post collateral but it all works fairly well. You can also leverage your short position, it is all fairly transparent and clear I use it sometimes for trading high conviction positions.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: