Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:50:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: 55nm USB Miners, as good as it gets?  (Read 1905 times)
xstr8guy (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:37:37 AM

It seems like the Bitfury chip USB miners are going to be the next big thing for hobbyist miners.  But is that the end of the line?  Is anyone developing small die size 28nm chips or is everything in the pipeline monstrously sized single chip devices like KnC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 05:50:33 AM

I think we will see as the 28nm chips are released and reels of them are made available that "next gen" USB miners will be released..
Although I must point out USB miners are more of a hobbyist thing then a serious mining rig, I went for the DrillBit USB thumbs (3 of them) which can be purchased here: http://www.drillbitsystem.com    They should ROI some time in the next 6 months and may have overclocking capabilities greater then 2.7GH/s.. I am waiting to get my hands on mine to test this theory out!

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:58:32 AM

I think we will see as the 28nm chips are released and reels of them are made available that "next gen" USB miners will be released..
Although I must point out USB miners are more of a hobbyist thing then a serious mining rig, I went for the DrillBit USB thumbs (3 of them) which can be purchased here: http://www.drillbitsystem.com    They should ROI some time in the next 6 months and may have overclocking capabilities greater then 2.7GH/s.. I am waiting to get my hands on mine to test this theory out!

I didn't mean the word "Hobbyist" to be offensive.  But I guess I just don't see Jupiter/MiniRig/400GHs Bitfury buyers mucking about with USB sticks.  And by my definition, if a miner isn't hashing with that kind of power, they fall into the hobbyist category.

Btw, I'm a hobbyist currently hashing at 140Gh/s.  I'm certainly not making enough to call this a career, lol.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:02:13 AM
Last edit: September 20, 2013, 06:12:15 AM by Bicknellski

The A1 28nm could be done as a USB... +20 Gh/s. Possible, but probably better to think of something that has a bit more "punch". Power wouldn't be an issue with A1 Chips as a USB but only having >20 Gh/s might. At some point there is a limit to building USB miners because of the diminishing returns on less hash power.

https://bitmine.ch/?product=coincraft-ai-asic

Code:
Power usage* of 0.35 W/GH in low power, 0.6 W/GH in nominal and 1 W/GH in Turbo mode

You would need something unlike a USB but something that has a backplane to slot into.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Beastlymac

Activity: 630
Merit: 501

Miner Setup And Reviews. WASP Rep.

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:03:20 AM

Although I must point out USB miners are more of a hobbyist thing then a serious mining rig, I went for the DrillBit USB thumbs (3 of them) which can be purchased here: http://www.drillbitsystem.com    They should ROI some time in the next 6 months and may have overclocking capabilities greater then 2.7GH/s.. I am waiting to get my hands on mine to test this theory out!

I didn't mean the word "Hobbyist" to be offensive.  But I guess I just don't see Jupiter/MiniRig/400GHs Bitfury buyers mucking about with USB sticks.  And by my definition, if a miner isn't hashing with that kind of power, they fall into the hobbyist category.

Btw, I'm a hobbyist currently hashing at 140Gh/s.  I'm certainly not making enough to call this a career, lol.
The current problem that we face is all future 28nm chips (that I have seen) require a large amount of power that a USB port just can't provide.

https://bitmine.ch/?product=coincraft-ai-asic
Could potentially run at 6+ ghs if you where in low power mode.

Message me if you have any problems
xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:04:00 AM

The A1 28nm could be done as a USB... +20 Gh/s. Possible.

I'm not familiar with A1.  Link?
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:13:15 AM

The A1 28nm could be done as a USB... +20 Gh/s. Possible.

I'm not familiar with A1.  Link?
https://bitmine.ch/?page_id=863

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 06:17:13 AM

I didn't mean the word "Hobbyist" to be offensive.  But I guess I just don't see Jupiter/MiniRig/400GHs Bitfury buyers mucking about with USB sticks.  And by my definition, if a miner isn't hashing with that kind of power, they fall into the hobbyist category.

Btw, I'm a hobbyist currently hashing at 140Gh/s.  I'm certainly not making enough to call this a career, lol.

No offence taken sir! Tongue

I too am a hobby miner.. I have a single 336MH/s Block Erupter going 24/7..
And I also just purchased 3 2.7GH/s at a hell of a deal from Barntech through DrillBit.

I will be mining at ~8.2GH/s in about 3 weeks hopefully.. A small mine with a slow break even but I'm excited none the less.

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:19:38 AM

Thanks!

Just so I know I'm not going crazy, did you edit your original post to include the link?  Or did I just not see it the first time?  Lol.
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:40:22 AM

Thanks!

Just so I know I'm not going crazy, did you edit your original post to include the link?  Or did I just not see it the first time?  Lol.
No, I wasn't editing enything...

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
kmtan

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

I love Bitcoin

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:54:40 AM

bitfury chipsets seem achieve the speed lower that design.
i see photo of bitfury print with 5Ghz on chipsets but recently the board design only claim for 2.2Ghz till 2.7G..

kevinm

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

This is not good for my Chi... Yifu

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 07:28:45 AM

i see photo of bitfury print with 5Ghz on chipsets but recently the board design only claim for 2.2Ghz till 2.7G..

My USB miners that are "in-hand" and for sale now (buy now, receive in 4 days) utilize 1 Bitfury chip giving an average 2.3Gh/s.
The one you are talking about is a prototype which utilizes twin BF chips.

cheers,
kev
xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 07:49:14 AM

I think originally the Bitfury chip was meant to be 5Gh/s, hence the name of the chip, but they found the sweet spot for power efficiency and stability by underclocking the chip.
monsieurmarc

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 07:59:02 AM

I just ordered a DrillBIT USB so many thanks to the poster who mentioned them.
At last somewhere with a new generation usb miner that will let me order one :-)
Bicknellski

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:23:26 AM

Thanks!

Just so I know I'm not going crazy, did you edit your original post to include the link?  Or did I just not see it the first time?  Lol.

Ya dude... sorry I should have noted that.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 01:04:56 PM

Thanks!

Just so I know I'm not going crazy, did you edit your original post to include the link?  Or did I just not see it the first time?  Lol.

Ya dude... sorry I should have noted that.

Lol, not a problem.  But I thought maybe my reading comprehension skills had sunk to new lows.  Or worse, Alzheimer's was starting to kick in.  Lol.

Thanks for the link though!  That's a chip I wasn't familiar with.  And it's nice to see that someone is designing a 28nm ASIC that isn't the size of a dinner plate.
Bicknellski

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:06:37 PM

Everything is going to get cheaper, smaller and more energy efficient... problem then becomes millions of dollars of recently fabricated ASICs just become bricks. There needs to be some perspective on this and expect manufacturers to have 2nd uses or somehow make miners that can be upcycled.

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 05:46:37 PM

i went to the site, and followed the paypal route to find out that the prices are all higher with paypal and there is no mention of the backplain being included with two boards like on the BTC page,although you can buy it.
console_cowboy

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 06:43:19 PM

i went to the site, and followed the paypal route to find out that the prices are all higher with paypal and there is no mention of the backplain being included with two boards like on the BTC page,although you can buy it.

The backplane was included with the boards in the first batch of miners, but sadly not included in the second. You can run the boards without a backplane, but you would require a molex power cable and usb cable to each board. They seem to want the payments in BTC for the second batch due to the short time between payment and shipping. Paypal takes quite a long time to pay out and can be charged back, which is not a bad thing, but bad for quick orders. For this reason, Bobsag3 is handling the paypal and taking all the risk himself, rather than Barntech. This is the reason for the preferred BTC and outsourced paypal.

I am glad that someone was willing to take the risk and quite nice. I paid my batch 1 shipping in BTC, and it was a breeze, considering it was my first BTC payment! I'd be cautious about sending coins where ever with no protection, but Barntech and Bobsag3 are good and trustworthy guys.
xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:42:17 PM

Screw 28nm!  I want 14nm!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/10/intel_reveals_14nm_pc_declares_moores_law_alive_and_well/

And I want the 14nm USB stick yesterday, hashing at no less than 200GH/s.  Cheesy

Oh, and it can't cost more than .25 BTC.
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1754

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:52:43 PM

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/10/intel_reveals_14nm_pc_declares_moores_law_alive_and_well/

And I want the 14nm USB stick yesterday, hashing at no less than 200GH/s.  Cheesy

Well it's your lucky day!  I have just opened up full payment pre-orders (sorry no refunds EVER) for exactly such a product Shocked , delivery will be two months OR more.

I can do a little better than .25 they start at .20 (MoQ 10 units).  Please send non refundable BTC payment only to the address in my signature  Tongue
jermwerty

Activity: 472
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 11:17:55 PM

Well it's your lucky day!  I have just opened up full payment pre-orders (sorry no refunds EVER) for exactly such a product Shocked , delivery will be two months OR more. TWO WEEKS

FTFY
xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 11:27:14 PM

Well it's your lucky day!  I have just opened up full payment pre-orders (sorry no refunds EVER) for exactly such a product Shocked , delivery will be two months OR more.

I can do a little better than .25 they start at .20 (MoQ 10 units).  Please send non refundable BTC payment only to the address in my signature  Tongue

Do you accept ChinaCoin or FeatherCoin as payment?
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 12:56:09 AM

our legal dept has advised me we can accept any alt coin payment.  Please select the appropriate address from my signature and send immediately please.  Also I apologize but there will be a small (large) admin fee to process orders, please add an additional 100 BTC (or converted alt coin of preference) to your payment!
xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 01:01:55 AM

Well it's your lucky day!  I have just opened up full payment pre-orders (sorry no refunds EVER) for exactly such a product Shocked , delivery will be two months OR more.

I can do a little better than .25 they start at .20 (MoQ 10 units).  Please send non refundable BTC payment only to the address in my signature  Tongue

our legal dept has advised me we can accept any alt coin payment.  Please select the appropriate address from my signature and send immediately please.  Also I apologize but there will be a small (large) admin fee to process orders, please add an additional 100 BTC (or converted alt coin of preference) to your payment!

Ok sounds good.  But first let me check and see if any new alt coins were released today.  Should be a few.  If so, I'll mine those for awhile first and then send you whatever coin it is as a form of "payment".

Hmm, or I could just invent a new alt coin, premine it and then send that to you.  That sounds easier.  Cheesy
Flying Hellfish
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 01:12:12 AM

Well it's your lucky day!  I have just opened up full payment pre-orders (sorry no refunds EVER) for exactly such a product Shocked , delivery will be two months OR more.

I can do a little better than .25 they start at .20 (MoQ 10 units).  Please send non refundable BTC payment only to the address in my signature  Tongue

our legal dept has advised me we can accept any alt coin payment.  Please select the appropriate address from my signature and send immediately please.  Also I apologize but there will be a small (large) admin fee to process orders, please add an additional 100 BTC (or converted alt coin of preference) to your payment!

Ok sounds good.  But first let me check and see if any new alt coins were released today.  Should be a few.  If so, I'll mine those for awhile first and then send you whatever coin it is as a form of "payment".

Hmm, or I could just invent a new alt coin, premine it and then send that to you.  That sounds easier.  Cheesy

Outstanding!  I look forward to receiving your payment and future possible business transactions.   Tongue
Bicknellski

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:08:39 AM

Thinking the thread fell off the rails somewhere... where was  it now... right when you said "it is your lucky day."

xstr8guy (OP)

Glow Stick Dance!

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 06:18:22 AM

Thinking the thread fell off the rails somewhere... where was  it now... right when you said "it is your lucky day."

Lol, the thread was slowly dying anyways.  Too bad though, but it just might be that the thread is a bit premature.  People don't even have the 55nm USB sticks in their hands yet.  Can't wait to get a few!

And no, not concerned about ROI.  I suffer from ASIC addiction *smacks inside of arm and looks for a good vein* and I need a fix!
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: