Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 01:15:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk Use Cases. What hasn't been done or should be done better?  (Read 200 times)
allmeat27 (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 28

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 02:31:01 AM
Last edit: February 22, 2018, 12:14:07 AM by allmeat27
Merited by suchmoon (4), DannyHamilton (2), achow101 (2), ABCbits (1)

90% of coins are just new platforms that do it "better" or "faster". Obviously, there's some super neat cases out there like HST for voting where tokens make complete sense or stuff like NAS where we can now search the blockchain. Just for fun, I've been sitting here brainstorming, what else is left? What would be a fun, unique use for blockchain that seemingly no one (or whoever did is horrible) is tackling? Part of me would love to get involved in my own ICO or Usage, but I just haven't come up with something I actually want to pursue. So maybe this thread is also looking to steal your ideas, who knows.

I continue to look at it from an actual software/application perspective, since that's where I'm more familiar. My two thoughts were:

A middleman that ties into existing enterprise IT infrastructure and decentralizes some of their functions. In my mind, this would tie into something like Active Directory or Exchange where you can offload some tasks onto the blockchain and reduce the need for 50 servers to 10 or something along those lines. I don't think transaction speeds are fast enough for full tie in (i.e. a mailbox database on Exchange), but even doing some hot/cold storage seems feasible. I view it somewhat like Azure/AWS but on the software (SaaS) side. Could even target stuff like SAP.

EDiscovery-esque/Chain of Custody data storage. Big part of Legal discovery is data gathering, so I'm imagine an application where the law firm plugs in a few settings and send off to the client. The client runs this "script", that script ties into X applications database (think a mailbox or accounting records) and pulls those records, then uploading them directly into our blockchain. This guarantees the data pulled and that the data hasn't been touched in transit and cannot be modified.

I'm sure there's a ton of holes in my ideas as my head isn't fully wrapped around blockchain tech yet, but happy to have them ripped apart. Also would love to hear some of your unique use cases.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 05:53:55 PM

Yeah okay I'll buy that. Not some revolutionary idea I'm worried about people stealing and it's just for fun anyway so I'm cool with a discussion format.

Edited the main post for the "idea"
zonezICO

Activity: 13
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 06:35:48 PM

How would you say your idea expands on NoSQL and could it possibly be utilized with Big Data/Spark and/or new Smart City/IoT projects?  When you mentioned infrastructure, I automatically thought of Smart Cities in the future as that is an area that is exciting for me.
pebwindkraft

Activity: 257
Merit: 343

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 11:31:48 PM

... infrastructure apps like AD/Exchange and the blockchain. So if you have a 50,000 user org that requires 50 Exchange servers and 400 TB's of disk for mailbox storage, you can reduce that drastically by somehow utilizing the blockchain...
I doubt that a blockchain is a good storage system. The blockchain is good for decentralized, censorship resistant distributed systems using very little data (see the blocksize discussions, not only in bitcoin).
Off topic (from crypto space): Microsoft also understood, that AD is not future proof anymore. It became to complicated to manage (aka too expensive in the companies). And the problem with huge exchange servers and disks stems from the fact, that an email to a group is replicated n times - it doesn’t scale very well. I remember when Lotus Notes had placed links to the attachment in each users profile, and as such a 5Meg attachment was only stored once on the mail server, instead of a thousand times. There are many discussions about data de-duplication. Hash values play an important role. This concept also adopts to backup systems...

Now on use cases: initially the blockchain was intended to spend money over the Internet. It became a successful ecosystem, with notary services and last recently crypto kitties game. So there is a certain flexibility to allow for new use cases, and I encourage you to go into the next steps. We are just at the beginning of a new data age.

On distributed storage: there is Siacoin and storj as concepts, trying to build the basis for future crypto storage systems. Maybe this is an approach for your thoughts?
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 01:07:48 AM

I guess distributed storage sounds like a bad idea because it's too much data. I guess the main idea is some SaaS that sits as a middle man between large scale applications. Even if it's not storage, it seems like there's some way to connect traditional applications that use SQL (or even SQL) itself and decentralize those, but then again, I'm not super familiar with the Blockchain so I could just be understand it wrong.
allmeat27 (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 12:13:06 AM

Decided to make this thread about general use cases for a broader scope. Would love to hear you guys ideas!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: