Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:08:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of Interac E-Transfer and Caisses Desjardins, both sucks  (Read 6964 times)
Namworld (OP)

Activity: 745
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 02:31:28 AM
Last edit: September 18, 2013, 02:58:57 AM by Namworld

I got one transaction which went through, released BTC. Then another for a similar amount which got refused. Then within the next hour, 1 more requests for a very close amount, one for about twice the amount, one for about half the amount. I didn't attempt to cash those in. Request got chained close together. I actually suspect stolen accounts. Basically, I lost about 6 BTC or 680 dollars to fraud.

Desjardins is incompetent however, they let me do transactions in person with ID but suspended my debit + credit cards, despite the fact there's no suspicion my cards are being misused. There's no issue with me doing transactions and no suspicion about my card. They've been blocked for a month and they won't do anything about it. I've been told for a month they'd call me back in a few days. After a month they tell me they won't remove the blocks anything before they get a confirmation from the other banks about the transactions. (The call support staff is definitely local, polite and very nice, props to that. But the security department is obviously not doing their work. One month is unacceptable delays to get an answer about a transaction.) During this time, I have to do everything through phone or the teller, racking in service fees.

I've been with them since I was a little kids. Got chequing, credit and insurance with them now. Completely unacceptable delays, I've had contracts, engagements I made and payments to make. Plus all my regular bills go through my credit card. A few days is okay, even a week might have been tolerable. Over one month (and still going) is completely unacceptable and crippling delays. No need to say I'll be changing bank after this clusterfuck, and possibly even get a second backup account too. If you are Canadian and have a bank to recommend, I'd appreciate.

P.S. Stick to face to face transactions with cash in hand. Those always go smoothly. (Public place)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ntm124

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

CRYPTO20

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 07:38:50 AM

Oh , I dont know that Desjardins also accept interact etransfer. I thought that it is only between td, rbc, cibc and bom. I got the same issue with rbc if not to say even worse.  I am in my homeland at this moment. and still use interact as one of the payment for my exchange service with my client. one of the exchanger in canada contact me and buy pm through my services. he bought in quite alot. and the deal went smoothly several times. the last time my bank got locked right away without any notice from rbc. when i call to the branch, they just told me that they need some info from me . didnt give me any details. i have to call back and forth for them quite a lot time, keep saying to them that I m newly married and in my homeland now, couldnt come back to Canada in a short time. They lock my 7k$ in my bank. No first hand notice, no phone call, no email, just one day I tried to log on it, and saw my bank locked. and none of the call centre guys answer my question until I figure out who is the support that takes care of my account. and only by that time do I know that my account got blocked due to a fraud interact email money transfer that I just recently received. Fuck RBC< I told them I can go to Canadian Embassy here and verify the info that I am the owner of my bank account and I am in Vietnam. still they said they dont care, they just need me to go to the branch to ask for some info. other than that they wont do anything. I truly feel angry about this. I dont think they have the right to hold all of the access to my account just because of 1 transaction that I got from it. they can keep the money of that transaction but how can they keep everything?Huh?? I even told them that ok I dont need to access the account now any more, but pls refund my money in the account by check to my address. still they said no no , they need me to go here.
From what I can see, if they have chance, all of the bank try to hold our money for as long as they can. so they all sucks. Sad(

Owning a diverse crypto-portfolio is now as easy as holding a single token - for anyone.
bitdigger2013

Activity: 397
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2013, 11:16:35 PM

Buy with interac but sell for CASH ONLY!!!
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 18, 2013, 11:22:13 PM

Desjardins suck because it's a credit union and they are well known as incompetent. Only positive thing about them is their cashback once a year. I use Desjardins only for loans and I have another account with RBC for all the rest but they like to charge fees. I think BMO might be a good choice if you need a real bank account but I didn't bother changing since RBC is very competent.
bitmountain

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 01:07:22 AM

I understand your frustration Namworld, but I would like to point out a couple of things about credit unions in general and Interac e-transfers.

I do my banking at a CU. CUs always take less risks compared to banks, because they don't have owners who want to make a maximum profit like banks do. The owners of CUs are the member that have their accounts with them, and their main goal is to save money.

I think most CUs would have proceeded the same way Desjardins did in this case.

I wonder if there is a big police investigation against the buyer and police asked them to freeze you money during this time, but the are not allowed to tell you about it.

The problem here, as you mentioned, potentially is that the buyer used a hacked account to transfer the money.

Desjardings and CUs in general take fewer risks than banks do, because their deposits are 100% guaranteed, therefore their insurance goes up if they have too many fraudulent transactions that the insurance company has to cover.

I like Interac e-transfers because they are easy, fast and protect your privacy, buy the risk is that an account can have been hacked and now the hacker buys bitcoins to get the money out of the account. Another risk issue is that if the owner of the account is using e-transfers to buy illegal substances or other illegal activities and seller is linked to the buyer because of one or more legit transactions between the two.

I think using e-transfers with buyers that have a good reputation on localbitcoin is fairly safe.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 01:13:33 AM

I think using e-transfers with buyers that have a good reputation on localbitcoin is fairly safe.
I agree, I've been using it on another very small forum where we all know each others since many years without issues.
Namworld (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 02:12:15 AM

I understand your frustration Namworld, but I would like to point out a couple of things about credit unions in general and Interac e-transfers.

I do my banking at a CU. CUs always take less risks compared to banks, because they don't have owners who want to make a maximum profit like banks do. The owners of CUs are the member that have their accounts with them, and their main goal is to save money.

I think most CUs would have proceeded the same way Desjardins did in this case.

I wonder if there is a big police investigation against the buyer and police asked them to freeze you money during this time, but the are not allowed to tell you about it.

The problem here, as you mentioned, potentially is that the buyer used a hacked account to transfer the money.

Desjardings and CUs in general take fewer risks than banks do, because their deposits are 100% guaranteed, therefore their insurance goes up if they have too many fraudulent transactions that the insurance company has to cover.

I like Interac e-transfers because they are easy, fast and protect your privacy, buy the risk is that an account can have been hacked and now the hacker buys bitcoins to get the money out of the account. Another risk issue is that if the owner of the account is using e-transfers to buy illegal substances or other illegal activities and seller is linked to the buyer because of one or more legit transactions between the two.

Yes, the thing is, I'm still allowed to do transactions (payments, withdrawals), just not with my cards. There's no suspicion of any issues with my cards. If they blocked everything, that could make sense.
bitmountain

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 04:50:43 AM

Yes, the thing is, I'm still allowed to do transactions (payments, withdrawals), just not with my cards. There's no suspicion of any issues with my cards. If they blocked everything, that could make sense.

I kind of agree with you on that one. If they suspect your account was hacked or your cards were compromised, they should just reset the password on your account, cancel your cards and issue new ones. That's what my local CU would do. Have you asked to speak to the branch manager or the manager of the fraud prevention department (some might call is "compliance department")?
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 06:01:27 AM

P.S. Stick to face to face transactions with cash in hand. Those always go smoothly. (Public place)

Not always my friend!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=288053.0

We met, inside a coffee shop, introduced myself, asked him if he had done trades before.  He said he had done several.  I wanted to make sure he was familiar with how the site worked and then to see if he had any questions about bitcoins in general.  I released the coins, and we started to shake hands as he was handing me the envelope.  He jerked the envelope out of my hand and took off running.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
Namworld (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:25:56 AM

Not always my friend!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=288053.0

We met, inside a coffee shop, introduced myself, asked him if he had done trades before.  He said he had done several.  I wanted to make sure he was familiar with how the site worked and then to see if he had any questions about bitcoins in general.  I released the coins, and we started to shake hands as he was handing me the envelope.  He jerked the envelope out of my hand and took off running.

Yeah, I already read that one. But I got a good rating and people give me the money first before I release.
ntm124

Activity: 163
Merit: 100

CRYPTO20

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2013, 05:27:29 PM

Can anybody give me some ideas of my RBC situation. RIght now they do not allow me to log in my RBC account online. they said that everything which goes with my card must be locked. I have several account with the bank ( checking, savings, tfsa) but all go with the same card. and they say anything related to the card would be affected .
How do u guys think? Is this a problem to me? Cause i m not in the country at the moment. they just hold the card and say that they want me to go to the branch to clarify something. that s all??? I didnt do anything bad. I dont even know anything about the sender. they go first to me, that s why. I am little bit concerned right now. so guys, just want to ask, how do u think?

Owning a diverse crypto-portfolio is now as easy as holding a single token - for anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: