Bitcoin Forum
December 03, 2016, 10:04:54 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New bread of 5850's in the wild :) (HARDWARE)  (Read 4952 times)
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 04:46:59 PM

I just bought a used 5850 yesterday morning and I'm not sure what revision it is, but I'll check when I get home.  I can clock it to about 1030 @ 1.088v.  Anything beyond that though, and it becomes unstable.  AMD GPU Clock Tool won't let me volt it beyond 1.088v.   I've had it running at 1020 for the last 24hrs or so without any problems and it's hitting around 412 MH/s.  The power connectors are at the very end of the card (short edge).

Mousepotato

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
dISh

Activity: 8

still mining

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 06:46:15 PM

im jealous.. i got like 10 of these extremes and they wont clock that hard under linux.. havent tried windows

core 897
mem 299
volt 1088
@ 370Mhash/s

gonna have to play more with the tweaks
Mousepotato

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 08:29:00 PM

Yah I seem to get really lucky with hardware usually - my 5830 clocks to 1040MHz and cranks out 330 MH/s stably 24/7.  Though on the other side of the coin, I have a 5870 that has problems with anything over 990MHz.  Oh well, you can't win em all Smiley

Mousepotato
m3sSh3aD

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 25, 2011, 11:50:32 PM

ahmen Smiley

what 750, to be honest there down at 970 them on the xfx 750. I'm not sure if its vrms or psu. mm. need that 1200 up and running. I think you got be more careful around the 600 to 850 watt, its a jungle. anything above is going cost but its going do what it says on the tin efficently. my 900 is 980 peak, 1200 is 1255 peak. sea sonic, be quieter. just read reviews Smiley
Hmmm... the PSU was a 750W job that happened to be on offer at Maplin - £65 or something like that. Recognisable brand-name PSUs with big power outputs are over £100 and that seems a hell of a lot to me.

Then again, I *do* have 4 5850s and 1 5770 to use, and if I can get ALL of them into a custom frame using ONE high-quality big-power PSU, then perhaps it's worth it.

I just REALLY wish I could use the PSU from my old Quad G5 Powermac - that needed a special wall plug because it was 1500W or something mental, due to the insane power draw from the water-cooled G5s. I'd install PPC Linux on the machine in a shot, as it has lots of PCIe x16 slots - sadly ATI's stream SDK proprietary code is Intel x86 only. So I can't run the OpenCL miner under Linux on the old Mac box Sad

O yes, i drew over 3600 watts which would have spiked at 7200 when it all kicked in. That never did anything to the electrics Smiley from 1 plug socket. UK 230-240V mind you but still. 1500 is peanuts. Plug it in, connect the black and green cable together (pins 3-4 it would be going along the top row) and the power stays on Wink The bit that plugs into the motherboard, the 24 pin one. That just sends the signal for on.

.0 MASSIVE SPIDER just ran at me haha. Jeepers Smiley

I just lost my mobo with 4 x1 and 1 x16 socket on and they have no more Sad PCI to PCI-E are expensive Sad well, £20 haha. But still, just got my akasa 1200 up, Was going test the 5 cards but my other mobo is only 2 1xPCIE and 1 x13PCIE, 3 Sad Ordered 1 PCI converter but need another. This is mint if true though as i will get 5 cards per system with a 1200/1250 PSU there ain't a problem. REALLY wanted see 5 cards running 400+ mhash each too Sad My 'RIG' now comprises of 10 cards, not 8 when complete now Smiley 4 Ghash a sysytem, Costing about 1700-1800 GBP. I dont think thats too bad. It earns £20 a day, £140 a week, Card payed for Smiley Thats conservitive and i recon values going go up. Rose for the first weekend ever this one i believe Smiley
catfish

Activity: 270

teh giant catfesh

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 08:25:17 AM

Right - back up and running...

Went to my local computer shop, expecting no help at all... turned out there was a chap who was studying for his Cisco exams (CCNA?), knew a bit about GPGPU processing, and was very interested in what I was playing at. Not only that, but they had some decent quality PSUs, told me about the green-wire paper-clip hack, and NICE ONE MATE... an Asus P5E3 Pro logic board was sitting unloved on the top shelf. This board was built for ATI Crossfire... two PCIe x16 slots, nicely spaced out too with an accessible PCIe x1 slot between the two x16s (if the x16s have dual-thickness Radeons in them). Perfect for the Cablesaurus x1->x16 extension cable I have on its way from the USA...

The most powerful PSU I could buy from them was a 600W model. However, it was a CoolerMaster brand, with modular cabling, and one single 12V rail delivering up to 40A. The box specifically claimed 'nVidia SLI Ready' - and given that the big-boy GeForce cards can eat a LOT more power than my mid-range (if that) 5850s... I'm reasonably satisfied. The PSU was damn heavy, the components were all listed (good sign) and the max output power is apparently 720W... not that I'd want to run it over spec 24/7.

What makes this PSU great for me is the modular cable system - no massive snake of cables, just two PCIe 6-pin sockets on the PSU and four 5-pin connectors for Molex / SATA connector cables.

QUESTION - is this PSU a recommended brand? Will 600W be enough - CoolerMaster claim an efficiency of 85% - clearly it appears to be OK with two mildly overclocked 5850s, but I'd like to use an extension cable to install another GPU - perhaps my 5770, which will happily clock to 1033 MHz... If others have had good results with these CoolerMaster PSUs, then I'm buying another because the modular cable system is just *brilliant*.

The logic board is too pretty to potentially mess up - so I'm going to buy a case for this particular mining box. It will have both front and back panels completely perforated (as per my Mac Pro - it works so I'm following the design), but also a perforated side panel that I can bung a huge fan onto. It can suck air directly off the GPUs, which is where the hole is sited.

QUESTION - case or no case? What is better?

Also - this modular PSU made for a *really* tidy system. I've got NO drives attached to the entire mining box. Just a PSU connected to the logic board with the normal two snake-cables. Two 5850 Extremes, powered from the two PCIe sockets on the PSU and two Molex adaptors. Logic board testing LEDs and switches to power-on the board etc. And a VERY neat piece of kit scavenged from my old butchered PC that blew up - a multi-format card reader that connects internally to the logic board's USB extender pins.

I've put a fast Compact Flash card into the card reader (it will have a home on the front panel of the new case, when I receive it) and installed Ubuntu on the CF card. The appalling performance of running the entire system off an old CF card hasn't affected mining performance one jot...

The annoying thing is that the case will have room for loads of drives, I've gone a bit overboard and installed 6 GB of RAM... it could be a lot more useful (I was lucky that the CPU from one of the other two PC logic boards I am experimenting with actually fitted the new P5E3 Pro logic board... as the computer shop didn't have any CPUs for sale!).

This post is a bit off-topic so I'll talk about the Extremes in the next post...

...so I give in to the rhythm, the click click clack
I'm too wasted to fight back...

BTC: 1A7HvdGGDie3P5nDpiskG8JxXT33Yu6Gct
catfish

teh giant catfesh

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 08:57:42 AM

O yes, i drew over 3600 watts which would have spiked at 7200 when it all kicked in. That never did anything to the electrics Smiley from 1 plug socket. UK 230-240V mind you but still. 1500 is peanuts. Plug it in, connect the black and green cable together (pins 3-4 it would be going along the top row) and the power stays on Wink The bit that plugs into the motherboard, the 24 pin one. That just sends the signal for on.

.0 MASSIVE SPIDER just ran at me haha. Jeepers Smiley

I just lost my mobo with 4 x1 and 1 x16 socket on and they have no more Sad PCI to PCI-E are expensive Sad well, £20 haha. But still, just got my akasa 1200 up, Was going test the 5 cards but my other mobo is only 2 1xPCIE and 1 x13PCIE, 3 Sad Ordered 1 PCI converter but need another. This is mint if true though as i will get 5 cards per system with a 1200/1250 PSU there ain't a problem. REALLY wanted see 5 cards running 400+ mhash each too Sad My 'RIG' now comprises of 10 cards, not 8 when complete now Smiley 4 Ghash a sysytem, Costing about 1700-1800 GBP. I dont think thats too bad. It earns £20 a day, £140 a week, Card payed for Smiley Thats conservitive and i recon values going go up. Rose for the first weekend ever this one i believe Smiley
What I mean by the Quad G5 PSU being big is that Apple had to sell them with special cables for EU regulations - standard kettle leads aren't rated for the power the thing draws. Presumably the *input* power is huge. I'll dig the specs out for you - I remember it was extreme because Apple built that box for serious pros - it has 4 PCIe x16 slots and could drive 8 monitors at the time (and cost £4,500 as the first 64-bit desktop workstation). Pros buy Apple so they don't have to tinker or upgrade PSUs, etc. - if you make your living with Photoshop, and buy a couple more screens, you go to Apple, get more GPUs, open the case, bolt them in, job done. No worrying about PSU capacity because Apple sized the PSU for the maximum. That's four ridiculously hot G5s, a full water cooling system, and up to 4 graphics-cards-of-the-day.

Anyway this is all horseshit because the Apple G5 PSU doesn't have ATX connectors for a PC logic board. I'm sure there's a way to hack it, but that CoolerMaster 600W unit cost £88 and I can live with that.

Back to those 5850 Extreme cards. I simply do NOT believe they are as good as the original design Sapphire 5850. My first Bitcoin GPU was a retail boxed Sapphire 5850 from PC World, I paid £175. It was a big long card with 5 visible 1-cm-diameter copper heatpipes snaking at the top of the card. It's a good 5 cm longer than the Extreme cards.

The 'old' Sapphire card had dual DVI plugs - which *should* reduce airflow since the Extremes (which only have one DVI plug) use the area above all for extracted air. However the Extreme cards don't have all the visible heatpipes. I'm not saying that heatpipes are the be-all and end-all, but cost of materials must make the 'old' Sapphire 5850 a much more expensive card to produce.

I reckon the 'Extreme' edition cards aren't 'Extreme' in performance terms - simply 'extremely cheap' - Sapphire have done a cost-cutting job on the cards. The two completely different PCB designs that I own suggest that it's been worth Sapphire's R&D time to further cut costs and crank out volume (surely Bitcoin miners aren't a big enough market to justify this?).

Basically - the 'old' 5-heatpipe Sapphire 5850 overclocks like a champ. I've had it higher, but I'm happy with the fact that on *standard voltage* and on a test board with NO additional cooling, it cranks out 402 Mh/s at 64.5 deg C - with the fan at a comfortable 70%. If I bang 100% fan on, then temps drop to 60.5 to 61.0 deg C, but it roars like a giant dog eating catfish. The settings are simply 999 core clock and 275 memory clock. No other messing around, on a completely standard Ubuntu installation. No BIOS tweaking, nothing. The card is BRILLIANT.

I was hoping that the 'Extreme' cards would be better. However they're *clearly* much lower build quality. The cooling setup is clearly inferior, obviously cheaper as there's a lot less copper and only two visible heatpipes. The 'Extreme' cards are much lighter (when I rebuild the systems I'll weigh them for real numbers).

Also, they don't overclock anywhere *near* as easily. Using an *identical* installation process to the board with the 'old' Sapphire 5850 - the same Linux, same scripts - everything - one card wouldn't get past 925 core clock (around 380 Mh/s) and the other wouldn't get past 950 core clock (around 389 Mh/s). Not too shabby, but still maxed out and with a huge desk fan blowing on them. Temps for both cards are well under 70 deg C, so this isn't a heat issue. The GPUs crash at higher core clocks, even if the entire core is only 61 deg C...

Which is which? Well, the slowest card is Card A above - horizontal power leads, P/N 299-2E174-000SA. The faster card (950 MHz core) is Card B above - vertical power leads, P/N 299-1E174-230SA.

Due to PSU issues, I'm wary of messing with GPU voltage since it exponentially increases power consumption.

Anyone know how to measure *directly* the power consumption of a specific *entire* Radeon card whilst it's running? I've got a multimeter etc. If these cards are only drawing 150W flat out, then my 600W supply should give plenty of headroom. If they're running 250W each then I haven't got the option of bolting in my 5770 as well Wink

m3sSh3aD

Activity: 322

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 09:19:55 AM

CONTINUED HERE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=31718.0
h4gb4s3

Activity: 37

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 09:37:46 AM

You need something like this:
http://ht4u.net/reviews/2010/gesamtvergleich_leistungsaufnahme_grafikkarten/index2.php

Power consumption Furmark  !!gpu only!!  

http://ht4u.net/reviews/2010/gesamtvergleich_leistungsaufnahme_grafikkarten/index5.php

Game/Folding Box|24/7 Folding/HTPC Box|24/7 Bitcoin Box
1LHiB337QwJTvCy42MeN7x6u2XmhmwLS64
simonk83

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 10:14:30 AM

Got one for sale if anyone's looking Smiley  Brand new, unopened.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260823868229&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT
norulezapply

Activity: 475

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 11:54:25 AM

I really need to get myself another of these

If my post helped, I'll happily accept a few bitmills!   15rGg6A1JFZV3b7TTbtpAaiYGdUD1e1oAm
catfish

teh giant catfesh

View Profile
July 26, 2011, 01:05:07 PM

Nice one chap  Cool

Tx2000

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 29, 2011, 07:51:55 PM

230SA ... only 810core on default vcore =(
Tx2000

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 06:14:11 AM

Actually able to get it to 975 on stock voltage.  Still testing the limits though as I go about 12 hours of stability tests per 5 mhz increase from here.  So far I am liking these new cards.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.