Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 10:16:41 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1080 started smoking  (Read 353 times)
BTC22 (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:27:50 PM

I woke up to the rig on, but it wasn't mining. I noticed on of the 1080's wasnt on, so I rebooted. It still wasnt on. I swapped risers, nothing. I unplugged it and then plugged it back it in and immediately started smoking right away. I unplugged it. I waited, tried a different power cord and it worked, however windows now keeps crashing until I unplugged it. Anything I can do or RMA?
hous26

Activity: 462
Merit: 115

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:33:01 PM

Do you have it under warranty?  That's no bueno.  I would send it back to the manufacturer asap because it sounds like an electrical problem and if you aren't into soldering then its probably not something you can fix on your own.
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:37:42 PM

Do you have it under warranty?  That's no bueno.  I would send it back to the manufacturer asap because it sounds like an electrical problem and if you aren't into soldering then its probably not something you can fix on your own.

Its only a month old.
hous26

Activity: 462
Merit: 115

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:40:15 PM

Send it back!  I know it sucks but there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with it to start smoking.
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:48:27 PM

Send it back!  I know it sucks but there is something SERIOUSLY wrong with it to start smoking.

Yeah I figured as much. I just opened a ticket with EVGA.
dbc23

Activity: 1036
Merit: 311

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:55:37 PM

I had an MSI 1080 go up in smoke a few months back, watched it happen, was kinda cool.  Sent it in for warranty work and got it back in less than 2 weeks.
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 04:57:19 PM

I had an MSI 1080 go up in smoke a few months back, watched it happen, was kinda cool.  Sent it in for warranty work and got it back in less than 2 weeks.

Did they fix or replace it?
MA3A

Activity: 241
Merit: 100

To Hash or not to Hash, that's what the question

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 06:24:23 PM

Find out what is the reason for that, before you fry other cards...no GPU smokes for no reason

P.S. i had fireworks one time in one of the computers, due to a mining and overheat...card got so hot, that components started to flow away from their spots and shorted everything...big bang and lots of smoke sparks...it was ASUS STRIX 480... got it replaced under warranty.

https://www.facebook.com/Qubex-Denver-Data-Recovery-473541326020759/ - accepting coins as payment
www.qubexdatarecovery.info Professional data recovery service for PHYSICALLY DAMAGED (broken) DEVICES: RAID0/RAID5/HYBRID RAID/SSD/HDD/FLASH DRIVE/CELLPHONE/, ALL OS, up to LEVEL 4, ISO-10 Clean room/ISO-100 hoods, Pro tools and know-how.
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2018, 06:42:26 PM

Find out what is the reason for that, before you fry other cards...no GPU smokes for no reason

P.S. i had fireworks one time in one of the computers, due to a mining and overheat...card got so hot, that components started to flow away from their spots and shorted everything...big bang and lots of smoke sparks...it was ASUS STRIX 480... got it replaced under warranty.

What do I need to check?  I mean, if I plug it back in, it lights up, but windows keeps crashing. I can't even boot into safe mode.
MA3A

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 06:55:18 PM

start from at least visually inspecting all components. Remove all add on cards and boot to bare system, see how it behaves, monitor temps and voltages, if all good, add another component, monitor, if all good add another component, monitor... repeat.
Have some one who knows troubleshooting to help you.

https://www.facebook.com/Qubex-Denver-Data-Recovery-473541326020759/ - accepting coins as payment
www.qubexdatarecovery.info Professional data recovery service for PHYSICALLY DAMAGED (broken) DEVICES: RAID0/RAID5/HYBRID RAID/SSD/HDD/FLASH DRIVE/CELLPHONE/, ALL OS, up to LEVEL 4, ISO-10 Clean room/ISO-100 hoods, Pro tools and know-how.
saltyminer
Copper Member

Activity: 64

www.bitpoolmining.com

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2018, 07:40:18 PM

You should RMA it, they will likely replace it with a new card. 

BitPoolMining - https://www.bitpoolmining.com
XMR, RVN, ETC, VTC AutoExchange 50% PPS +
50% PPLNS Mining Pool
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 05:28:51 PM

I did end up RMA'ing it. I'm sending it back today.
Tidsdilatation

Activity: 518
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2018, 05:52:51 PM

Just want to ask you for my own concern. You left the rig mining during the night? And you came back to it still on, but not mining? That seems very safe from my perspective! im always worried in case of fire. But the graphic card failed before a fire could errupt?
Mike011

Activity: 312
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 07:25:34 PM

Although it is a possibility, actually litting up fire is a very rare occasion with pc hardware.
zorachus99

Activity: 58
Merit: 3

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:33:49 PM

Although it is a possibility, actually litting up fire is a very rare occasion with pc hardware.

My college roommate from Taiwan bought a DIY system at FRY's and mounted his new motherboard to the back of his case.  I asked him a few times if he knew what he was doing, and he was very confident, until he motioned me over to take a look.  He turned it on, and grey smoke began to billow out of the case.  The main bus had melted along the center of the motherboard.

Later, he was in wonderment when we returned it to FRY's as defective.  Explanation of issue?  "It melted when we turned it on."   Grin
BTC22 (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:42:11 PM

Just want to ask you for my own concern. You left the rig mining during the night? And you came back to it still on, but not mining? That seems very safe from my perspective! im always worried in case of fire. But the graphic card failed before a fire could errupt?

Correct. The card and/or the rig, shut it down.
MA3A

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2018, 09:51:21 PM

- with cheap PSU and other components it can be very easy. Seen that, done that.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: