Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:54:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice I would give to myself if I were a Bitcoin newbie today  (Read 1621 times)
PassTheAmmo (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 07:20:51 PM

Hi

I've been into Bitcoin since May 2011, but I haven't created an account here until now.

I read some topics here and some things come up over and over again, so I thought I'd write something that would have been useful to myself if I were a total Bitcoin-newbie now.

1) Stay away from mining

If you wanna try mining just to see how it works, that's fine of course. I haven't mined since 2011, more recently I owned ASICMINER shares, but now I stay out of all mining companies. As far as I can tell it's a gigantic lottery right now, maybe others can see more clearly. But don't mine yourself, you'll be up against professional miners with increasingly slim margins.

2) You're still an early adopter

Everybody wish that they had been earlier into bitcoin, it was the same when I first started. But truth is it's still early.
Don't be tempted to invest in altcoins instead to feel more like an early adopter. A few altcoins have some technical novelty (although not a percent of a percent of the innovations that bitcoin had when it came), but it is very obvious that the vast majority of altcoins came into existence because people were annoyed that they missed the bitcoin gravy train.

3) If you want to get your hands on as many bitcoins as you can you should...

Not visit faucets, not look for giveaways, not beg, not mine, but...

Get a regular job, don't buy unnecessary shit and save in bitcoins. Sorry, but the "easy solutions" lead nowhere like always in life. Register on an exchange and buy BTC for fiat. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dha

Activity: 37

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 08:33:04 PM

sounds like sound advice.

thanks.

it is a bit like a gold-rush. In the very very beginning (before the rush) you could make good profits while starting from close to zero investment, now you should be prepared to get your calculator out and make a decent business plan. If you dont or if you dont manage to aquire sufficient starting capital (in fiat) you lost already.
So it seems now the best way to make a good profit of this rush is to sell "shovels"...

Apart from that there is also the intrinsic value of a monetary system out of governments reach, which is best protected and served by using btc to actually buy and sell stuff.

pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 08:49:43 PM

If everyone gives up mining bitcoin will end up centralized.

If you hold a sizable amount of coin I think it's only wise to invest in network diversity a little bit. You will not get rich though, that's for sure.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
imbladednow

Activity: 481
Merit: 500

Woking as a binman sucks.

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:06:45 PM

If you hold a sizable amount of coin I think it's only wise to invest in network diversity a little bit. You will not get rich though, that's for sure.

So true, if everyone would just buy BTC and holds, Bitcoin would not have future - like pyramid scheme

I need crypto in my life and garbage out of it.
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3649
Merit: 1412

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:12:41 PM

That would be true,....IF mining wouldn't be centralized pretty much already.

Most of todays "miners" actually aren't miners, they're just hash-sellers, selling their ressources to a pool.
The only real miners are the operators of those pools.
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:31:23 PM

Great advice! I agree with all the things you have talk about especially mining.
mr_robot

Activity: 1

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2013, 09:38:31 PM

Agree  Grin

I would advice also to read information on the technical forum.

It pays back in the long time , although appear for some difficult Grin
dha

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:51:18 PM

So true, if everyone would just buy BTC and holds, Bitcoin would not have future - like pyramid scheme
Apart from never-going-to-happen (just imagine everyone gave up mining and only you would continue...),
the term "pyramid scheme", although obviously not unpopular amongst fraudsters on the internet, gets thrown around a bit out of place. Don´t you think?  Wink
It´s the same with oceans. They are all salty, but not everything salty is an ocean.
Pumpkin

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 09:51:58 PM

BOOM! Extremely sound advice! Great post! Thank you!!

This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Following on that: learn how to secure your money. That can't hurt and will pay off. Get comfortable with the security measures you have.

Brain wallets, paper wallets - extremely valuable tools you have, but know their weaknesses (insecure computers, insecure code, weak passwords). Learn how to use a linux live CD. How to create and manage cold storage wallets.

Even if bitcoin dies, same principles will apply to all cryptographically protected currencies.
marcovaldo

Activity: 350

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:21:42 PM

We will see, but I don't think that people coming today are still early adopters.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
dragonkid

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:48:33 PM

1) Stay away from mining

If you wanna try mining just to see how it works, that's fine of course. I haven't mined since 2011, more recently I owned ASICMINER shares, but now I stay out of all mining companies. As far as I can tell it's a gigantic lottery right now, maybe others can see more clearly. But don't mine yourself, you'll be up against professional miners with increasingly slim margins.

Everyone should stop mining, then it will be good for me. Less difficulty to mine. So all newbies don't mine and tell all your mining friends to stop mining.  Grin

pontiacg5

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:55:56 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2013, 11:07:23 PM by pontiacg5

Most of todays "miners" actually aren't miners, they're just hash-sellers, selling their ressources to a pool.

How exactly is mining centralized now? Sure, miners on a pool don't know what block they are working but that doesn't mean a pool of miners can't democratically vote on decisions of a pool by moving to another. If tomorrow BTCGuild plus a few others decided to start pushing 50BTC block rewards people would catch on quick and withdraw their resources from the pool. If we ever had a hard fork I know I'd sure want one or two million people choosing which pool and therefore which chain to mine instead of a few dozen people.

I mine, and I have what I think most true bitcoin newbies would consider quite a bit invested in mining. I still want more people to start mining, because I believe that more individuals (no matter where or how they mine) invested in mining will keep the coin more stable and in the end that is best for all.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 10:58:21 PM

We will see, but I don't think that people coming today are still early adopters.

I agree. Bitcoin is totally mainstream now. Bitcoin has been around so long that even my grandmother has a wallet. Bitcoin is so last decade.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
AntiOps

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 11:08:57 PM

I agree. Bitcoin is totally mainstream now. Bitcoin has been around so long that even my grandmother has a wallet. Bitcoin is so last decade.

I read somewhere, "when mainstream media is talking about it, any real investor knows its way too late". I couldn't agree more. The thing about Bitcoin is that, it still has potential to rise if the Cyprus scenario happens again elsewhere. What are the chances? Well, no one really knows.
lassdas
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 12:01:47 AM

How exactly is mining centralized now?
Compared to those days when there were no pools (and yes, i've been around at that time), mining really is pretty much (you missed that) centralized now, done by only a handful, or maybe a couple of hundred pools.

Of course you can still switch to another pool if you don't like the decisions of one pool-operator, but first you have to actually know about those decisions.
However, it was way less centralized back in 2010, although there's way more "miners" today (rather call them "workers", that's more accurate).
dha

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 12:05:35 AM

I read somewhere, "when mainstream media is talking about it, any real investor knows its way too late". I couldn't agree more. The thing about Bitcoin is that, it still has potential to rise if the Cyprus scenario happens again elsewhere. What are the chances? Well, no one really knows.

Maybe I am not getting it, but isn´t "going mainstream" exactly what we all had hoped bitcoin would do?
Without busineses and customers using it on a broader scale it has no substantial value but the hope that it one day will.

Maybe the goldrush and time of extreme profits is starting to end, but that is actually a good thing from the viewpoint of the principles bitcoin was constructed on.
At least I see it that way.
pontiacg5

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 12:14:06 AM

Compared to those days when there were no pools (and yes, i've been around at that time), mining really is pretty much (you missed that) centralized now, done by only a handful, or maybe a couple of hundred pools.

Of course you can still switch to another pool if you don't like the decisions of one pool-operator, but first you have to actually know about those decisions.
However, it was way less centralized back in 2010, although there's way more "miners" today (rather call them "workers", that's more accurate).

You aren't making any sense, then. The only sense I can make out of that is you disagree because I said "miners" and not "hash-sellers."

Fine, I'll rephrase my statement for the been around forever guy. "Bitcoin will end up centralized if hash-sellers stop selling." Excuse me, but I didn't think a newbie would understand that.

So since mining is "pretty much" centralized I guess people with an interest in bitcoin should give up and let it become totally centralized.

And there are 7 pools that make up around 75% of the network hashrate, kind of a far cry from a couple hundred.

Goldshredder

Activity: 249
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 01:01:50 AM

If I were a BTC newbie today, I think the biggest piece of advice/wisdom I'd try to impress upon myself would be to treat BTC with much more respect, and to hold a lot tighter to my initial investment until I knew more about what I was doing.
lassdas
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:56:39 AM

And there are 7 pools that make up around 75% of the network hashrate, kind of a far cry from a couple hundred.
Yeah, but that's pretty close to only a handful, isn't it? Wink

And that was exactly my point,
mining has once been done by hundreds, or even thousands of individual miners and now is done by a handful of pools,
so it doesn't end up centralized, it already is, no matter how many workers sell hashes to those pools, no matter how high the network hashrate.

However, if everyone stops mining, bitcoin is instantly dead anyway. Cool

marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 03:33:47 AM

I agree, the main bitcoin faze has been covered by time
Otherwise if you really want to mine you have to have at least 500 GIga HAsh for it to be worthwhile Sad
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: