Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:14:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Myth of Money as the Mere Concept of an IOU  (Read 5115 times)
mirelo (OP)

Activity: 242
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 07:30:57 PM

A representation of debt is an object representing "I owe (money to) you": an IOU.

Money can itself be an IOU. For example, when a commercial bank loans money deposited with it, this bank does not withdraw that money from the borrowed account. So the loaned money must belong to both its borrower and its loaner. Then:

1. To the borrower, an IOU becomes the loaner's money.

2. To the loaner, the borrower's money becomes an IOU.

This way, whether loaner and borrower are aware of that or not, their money has become an IOU. Thus, if I am the borrower and you are the loaner, this IOU is an object representing "I owe you" that money. So even as an IOU, our money remains what IOU.

Then, "I owe you" an... IOU: as long as we mistake debt for money, I owe you... the circumstance that I owe you... the circumstance that I owe you...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 01:10:11 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2013, 04:26:30 AM by Adrian-x

Not only does everyone learn this at school Undecided, they also intuitively understand it and conduct their lives accordingly. Never questioning and assuming just the opposite that IOU's are in fact representative of a commodity and and/or time value, forgetting the IOU's loosely regresses back, are in fact a promissory note for an IOU of a common commodity utilised as a medium of exchange.  

If you think that is crazy you should try fractional reserve banking with wheat.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:17:06 AM

IOU is a trick to mislead people, after several times of IOU, people don't know the original ownership, what should belongs to them now belongs to banks  Cheesy

mirelo (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:32:21 AM

IOU is a trick to mislead people, after several times of IOU, people don't know the original ownership, what should belongs to them now belongs to banks  Cheesy

Unfortunately, the trick is not the IOU itself. It is not even its mistaking for money. The trick is using this confusion between debt and money to control other people.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:36:16 AM

The trick is using this confusion between debt and money to control other people.
How exactly does confusion between the definition of "money" and "debt" lead to control? Most people know that the bank is loaning money out to others. Also, upon withdraw of the money, the "IOU" becomes money again. I don't see the issue here.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:39:51 AM

What happened in a loan process is complex. The moment you put your money into a bank, you lose the ownership of those money, you only get a promise from the bank that they will pay you when you withdraw. You regain the ownership only after your withdraw

johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:42:31 AM

The trick is using this confusion between debt and money to control other people.
How exactly does confusion between the definition of "money" and "debt" lead to control? Most people know that the bank is loaning money out to others. Also, upon withdraw of the money, the "IOU" becomes money again. I don't see the issue here.

Just like FRB, IOU is checkbook money, not real money, it is just an accounting term, same money can be counted multiple times, thus create a illusion of lots of money, when in reality the real money is much less

mirelo (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:47:06 AM

What happened in a loan process is complex. The moment you put your money into a bank, you lose the ownership of those money, you only get a promise (IOU) from the bank that they will pay you when you withdraw. You regain the ownership only after your withdraw

This was before central banks issuing almost all reserves as a public debt. Now even when you withdraw your money it remains a promise.
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:53:13 AM

What happened in a loan process is complex. The moment you put your money into a bank, you lose the ownership of those money, you only get a promise (IOU) from the bank that they will pay you when you withdraw. You regain the ownership only after your withdraw

This was before central banks issuing almost all reserves as a public debt. Now even when you withdraw your money it remains a promise.

No, central banks create base money (real money), which is backed by nothing, and then they use this money to buy bonds and MBS

mirelo (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:54:34 AM

The confusion between debt and money turns money into a self-inflating debt principal because, for being debt, it becomes its own interest. Paying the interest on such a debt requires more money, hence more debt. This creates inflation, which makes it increasingly difficult for people to pay the interest on their debt due to the decreasing unit-value of money. So they go deeper into debt, becoming slaves of whoever controls money (debt) issuance.
mirelo (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 03:09:35 AM

No, central banks create base money (real money), which is backed by nothing, and then they use this money to buy bonds and MBS

Neither central nor commercial banks issue money "backed by nothing." What "backs" the money central banks and commercial banks issue is respectively public and private debt: the money central banks issue is a loan to public entities just like the money commercial banks issue is a loan to private entities.
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 03:32:38 AM

Neither central nor commercial banks issue money "backed by nothing." What "backs" the money central banks and commercial banks issue is respectively public and private debt: the money central banks issue is a loan to public entities just like the money commercial banks issue is a loan to private entities.

It is easier to understand things from ownership point of view, otherwise you will get lost in lots of IOUs

If I have a house, then I'm able to issue some money equavalent to house's value. Notice that I need to have the ownership of the house, and then I can use that house as mortgage and issue some money

But central bank is very different, they do not have the ownership of the government bonds at the first place, but they still issue the money that is backed by those government bonds. How is that possible? Because they claim the ownership of those money when they created them. Only central bank can claim the ownership of money without any valuable thing exchange for those money, and central banks are privately owned, so issentially they claim the ownership of everything in the country by printing money

mirelo (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 03:38:40 AM

It is easier to understand things from ownership point of view, otherwise you will get lost in lots of IOUs

If I have a house, then I'm able to issue some money equavalent to house's value. Notice that I need to have the ownership of the house, and then I can use that house as mortgage and issue some money

But central bank is very different, they do not have the ownership of the government bonds at the first place, but they still issue the money that is backed by those government bonds. How is that possible? Because they claim the ownership of those money when they created them. Only central bank can claim the ownership of money without any valuable thing exchange for those money, and central banks are privately owned, so issentially they claim the ownership of everything in the country by printing money

Banks - whether central or commercial - issue money by loaning it. The acts of loaning and issuing that money are the same. Conversely, when the borrower repays the loan (which governments around the world no longer even dream of doing) the money vanishes.
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 04:27:26 AM

Banks - whether central or commercial - issue money by loaning it. The acts of loaning and issuing that money are the same. Conversely, when the borrower repays the loan (which governments around the world no longer even dream of doing) the money vanishes.

Commercial banks do not have the right to create money, they can only borrow money from central bank. Central bank is the lender of the last resort, they can't borrow from anyone else, they must create money

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_creation

Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 04:46:17 AM

The confusion between debt and money turns money into a self-inflating debt principal because, for being debt, it becomes its own interest. Paying the interest on such a debt requires more money, hence more debt. This creates inflation, which makes it increasingly difficult for people to pay the interest on their debt due to the decreasing unit-value of money. So they go deeper into debt, becoming slaves of whoever controls money (debt) issuance.
Bang on.

I was going to tell a story to illustrate the problem, in addition debt is a promise today to provide a commodity and/or time value in the future. Their is a risk you can defalt and not fulfill the promise. Now if you use that promise as money to pay for other economic activity, the others giving up real commodities and/or time value, and accepting thate promise as payment in the future are in fact giving up value today in exchange for the ability money provides as a store of value for the future but what they actually are saving/getting is not the store of value they created but a risky promise someone somewhere else made with a potential possibility of defalt.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
mirelo (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 10:39:22 AM

I was going to tell a story to illustrate the problem, in addition debt is a promise today to provide a commodity and/or time value in the future. Their is a risk you can defalt and not fulfill the promise. Now if you use that promise as money to pay for other economic activity, the others giving up real commodities and/or time value, and accepting thate promise as payment in the future are in fact giving up value today in exchange for the ability money provides as a store of value for the future but what they actually are saving/getting is not the store of value they created but a risky promise someone somewhere else made with a potential possibility of defalt.

It is much worse than that: inflated debt in this case is identical to inflated exchange value, so what you are getting here is a partially false monetary value. You may be lucky and get your promise, but many will not.
grue
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 03:20:19 PM

What happened in a loan process is complex. The moment you put your money into a bank, you lose the ownership of those money, you only get a promise from the bank that they will pay you when you withdraw. You regain the ownership only after your withdraw
What exactly is wrong with losing ownership of the money? Deposit insurance covers in case of a bank failure. It's technically a IOU, but the possibility of not being able to withdraw their is slim. What you're arguing over is semantics. Yes, the money deposited in a bank is an IOU, but for all intents and purposes it's just as good as real money.

mirelo (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 04:30:56 PM

What exactly is wrong with losing ownership of the money? Deposit insurance covers in case of a bank failure. It's technically a IOU, but the possibility of not being able to withdraw their is slim. What you're arguing over is semantics. Yes, the money deposited in a bank is an IOU, but for all intents and purposes it's just as good as real money.

If you cannot see anything wrong with losing ownership of your money, then why don't you give it all to me?
johnyj
Legendary

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 06:37:17 PM

If all the people go to bank and withdraw their money, there will be a bank run. Just like FRB, FDIC is another level of insurance to calm down depositors. If all the banks facing withdraw pressure at the same time, even FDIC can not payout that much money. FDIC only have $100 billion at hand to insure about $10 trillion deposits

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Deposit_Insurance_Corporation#Deposit_Insurance_Fund

grue
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 07:43:09 PM
Last edit: September 21, 2013, 07:54:14 PM by grue

If all the people go to bank and withdraw their money, there will be a bank run. Just like FRB, FDIC is another level of insurance to calm down depositors. If all the banks facing withdraw pressure at the same time, even FDIC can not payout that much money. FDIC only have $100 billion at hand to insure about $10 trillion deposits
But what I argued was that IOU "all intents and purposes it's just as good as real money". Yes, there's a tiny risk of catastrophic failure if the bank fails and the deposit insurance fails, but people accept that risk in exchange for convenience and security of their money, compared to stashing them under their mattresses. People not are misinformed about what happens to their money when they are making a deposit, so I'm really having trouble seeing the issue here.

Also,
For example, when a commercial bank loans money deposited with it, this bank does not withdraw that money from the borrowed account. So the loaned money must belong to both its borrower and its loaner
No, that's not true. In this case, the bank has a IOU to the depositor, and the lender has a IOU to the bank. The money belongs to one person only: the lender. The bank has a fraction of the deposits in cash for customer withdraws, hence why the bank can also fulfill the depositor's withdraw request at any time (to an extent).

If you cannot see anything wrong with losing ownership of your money, then why don't you give it all to me?
Because:
  • you don't have deposit insurance
  • you can't give me my money at moment's notice
  • i don't know or trust you
  • you are not bound by any government regulation or audits

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: