Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:22:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My BFL unboxing and setup experience - Single SC  (Read 7117 times)
noncecents (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 01:24:04 AM

Hi all,

I know a lot of people are excited about receiving their BFL product and BFL is really starting to catch up on back orders, so I thought I'd share my experience.

I received my tracking number on 9/18/2013. The subject of the email was "Your order has been shipped!".

On 9/20/2013 I received the package from USPS (yes, they ship express mail, the worst possible courier option).

The product was fitted in to a "large flat rate" box. The box is not very sturdy, so when the unit arrived it was a little banged up and scratched despite being shipped surrounded by custom foam inserts.

Items in the box:
1 power supply (Made in China)
1 power supply to dual PCIe connector cable.
1 USB cable (they've started shipping longer USB cables since people complained I guess)
1 Butterfly Labs Single SC
1 instruction card

I was very excited to get mining with the product so I took it out, read the instructions thoroughly several times.

To get the setup instructions you have to go to a website and download a PDF. That's a good way to save money on printing costs.

After I made sure I understood the setup instructions I connected the power supply to the Single SC and plugged it into the wall socket.

Nothing.

The light on the power supply did not come on. The fans on the Single did not spin and make noise like I had seen in Youtube videos.

I checked the 110/220 switch on the power supply to make sure it was in the right position. I tried toggling it, but when I attempted to slide the switch the switch backed off into the interior of the power supply and felt like it would snap off with the gentlest touch, so I tossed the power supply aside and sent email to BFL to request a replacement.

Of course it will probably be months before BFL responds to my email, so I just went to Best Buy and bought a cheap 500W ATX power supply.

I then jammed a paper clip into the black and green contacts on the mother board connector of the power supply, plugged the two PCIe connectors into the BFL Single SC and plugged the new power supply into the wall socket.

Bam. Everything started up. BFL had shipped a faulty power supply.

I first tried mining with bfgminer. Bfgminer detected both my Single SC and 29 of my 30 Block Erupters (I've had trouble off and on with getting Erupter #30 detected).

However, I had trouble getting work from the mining pool I had been mining with because it doesn't support Strata and couldn't send work fast enough for my gear to work at its full potential.

So I downloaded and installed BFL's Easyminer. It's not just a clever name, it's pretty easy to set up.

Easyminer is pretty braindead and so its functionality is also very limited: There are two options for configuring your mining pools. The first is to choose between two provided pools and the second is to set up everything completely manually by typing your command line switches for your miner (bfgminer or cgminer are your only choices and there's no way to add other miner softwares).

I decided to go ahead and use the two provided pools with the default settings and pasted in my bitcoin address to receive payments.

Once I started up Easyminer with the default settings it quickly received plenty of work from the pool and began hashing at a steady 59.248 GH/s.

Since that was working I decided to start up my own install of bfgminer to see what would happen.

I was happy to see that bfgminer skipped the SC Single that was already in use and started up with the available Block Erupters.

So I now have the Single SC running in Easyminer hashing away on the new pool and my Block Erupters hashing away on the old pool, both on the same computer.

Now that I have replaced the power supply I am happy with my purchase. I knew going into this that the power supply was a free gimme and I was half expecting to have to provide my own power supply anyways.

I suspect that BFL is running damage control by shipping using a cheap courier in flat rate boxes and ignoring people who complain about receiving banged up and broken equipment for months so they can get product out the door and stop the bleeding.

After waiting almost exactly one year for my product I'm just glad I've finally received it and got it working so I can finally disengage with their snotty little ecosystem of arrogant and flippant employees who screwed up my order several times and then acted like it was my fault.

Now to set expectations for those still waiting for shipment:

• There's a good chance when you get your package your shit will be broken. It is packaged exceptionally poorly for such an expensive piece of equipment.
  • If your shit is broken you probably won't get a replacement for several months at which point your investment will no longer be of any value.
  • Just go ahead and go buy a power supply and have it ready for when your product arrives and save yourself the headache.
  • Whichever pool you're on, if it's not specifically set up for ASIC mining, you probably won't be able to hash at full speed because getworks will be too slow so pick a pool that is specifically for ASIC mining.
  • The Single SC is VERY LOUD. It sounds like a salon grade hair dryer. You'll want to put it somewhere that you won't be sleeping.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 04:04:34 AM

• There's a good chance when you get your package your shit will be broken. It is packaged exceptionally poorly for such an expensive piece of equipment.
  • If your shit is broken you probably won't get a replacement for several months at which point your investment will no longer be of any value.
  • Just go ahead and go buy a power supply and have it ready for when your product arrives and save yourself the headache.
  • Whichever pool you're on, if it's not specifically set up for ASIC mining, you probably won't be able to hash at full speed because getworks will be too slow so pick a pool that is specifically for ASIC mining.
  • The Single SC is VERY LOUD. It sounds like a salon grade hair dryer. You'll want to put it somewhere that you won't be sleeping.

1) If you're PSU is broken, send them an email. One of my Little Single PSUs was dead, and they sent me a replacement. No big deal.
2) That said, I did configure a server PSU to have a bunch of PCIe power connectors, so I can power 4 SC Singles off one PSU. Best part? It only cost me $60.
3) The stock PSU should work fine, and has been working for me for several months.
4) See here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104664.0 If you're not using a pool that's "ASIC Ready", you need a new pool.
5) The SC Single us loud, but it's not hair dryer loud. Yes, I have slept in the same room as 2 of them going, and it's not unreasonable. You can minimize the noise by running it outside of it's case and without the side fans, but that's a more advanced and extreme measure. Your best bet? Stick it somewhere cool and isolated where you don't have to listen to it. Obv I don't run all of mine in the middle of my living room, but instead somewhere secure and separate, where I barely notice the noise.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
noncecents (OP)

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 04:07:45 AM

1) If you're PSU is broken, send them an email. One of my Little Single PSUs was dead, and they sent me a replacement. No big deal.
2) That said, I did configure a server PSU to have a bunch of PCIe power connectors, so I can power 4 SC Singles off one PSU. Best part? It only cost me $60.
3) The stock PSU should work fine, and has been working for me for several months.
4) See here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=104664.0 If you're not using a pool that's "ASIC Ready", you need a new pool.
5) The SC Single us loud, but it's not hair dryer loud. Yes, I have slept in the same room as 2 of them going, and it's not unreasonable. You can minimize the noise by running it outside of it's case and without the side fans, but that's a more advanced and extreme measure. Your best bet? Stick it somewhere cool and isolated where you don't have to listen to it. Obv I don't run all of mine in the middle of my living room, but instead somewhere secure and separate, where I barely notice the noise.

Do you feel this reply adds to the conversation?

[__] Yes
[ X ] No

Mark reply as troll bait?

[__] No
[ X ] Yes
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 05:08:50 AM

[__] Yes
[ X ] No

[__] No
[ X ] Yes

[__] Yes
[ X ] No

[__] Yes
[ X ] No

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 06:43:13 AM

Excellent OP, thanks.

What's with the thread crapping??

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1001

All cryptos are FIAT digital currency. Do not use.

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 07:25:27 AM

+1 and another +1. Smiley

Behold ! The all knowing "believe what I say and stfu" crazyates. Wink
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268632.msg2888130#msg2888130

@noncecents May your asics hash long and prosper. And may they forever be.. DGM free.  Roll Eyes

btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 09:18:27 AM

Don't ever order anything from BFL! My single arrived almost 1 year late, and it now can't be paid off. Equipment arrived was already working a lot, that told me very good friend of mine who is hardware expert. They mined with our money. Butterflylabs is SCAM business. Never again!

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 04:22:21 PM

[__] Yes
[ X ] No

[__] No
[ X ] Yes

Woah hold up! I really don't think I was thread crapping, and don't feel I was too far OT. You summed up your experiences in your last paragraph. I made some comments and added my own observations about my similar experiences. What's so wrong about that?

I have never said those words "believe what I say and stfu". And if that's the impression that you received from me, I'm sorry.

That said, I'm also sorry that you can't understand the concept that Ozcoin pays out using two different payment methods. You're the only person on these forums who believes that DGM is a broken payment method. And don't take my word for it, take the word of a number of people who are smarter than both of us. I think everyone should read that entire thread before replying to Hippie. Here's the full thing: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268632.0;all

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 04:55:11 PM

Roll Eyes

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268632.msg2900731#msg2900731

Please stop vomiting biased mindless FUD all over the place, esp when everyone is telling you you're wrong. Oh, and those pesky facts aren't helping your case either.

bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 04:56:27 PM

[__] Yes
[ X ] No

[__] No
[ X ] Yes

Woah hold up! I really don't think I was thread crapping, and don't feel I was too far OT. You summed up your experiences in your last paragraph. I made some comments and added my own observations about my similar experiences. What's so wrong about that?

I have never said those words "believe what I say and stfu". And if that's the impression that you received from me, I'm sorry.

That said, I'm also sorry that you can't understand the concept that Ozcoin pays out using two different payment methods. You're the only person on these forums who believes that DGM is a broken payment method. And don't take my word for it, take the word of a number of people who are smarter than both of us. I think everyone should read that entire thread before replying to Hippie. Here's the full thing: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268632.0;all
Hippy just likes crapping. He blew up my USB thread because I wouldn't sell under price.
Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 04:57:36 PM

Europeanminer ? Is that you ?

philips

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 05:57:07 PM

Actually crazyates post was well worded, short, informative and right on topic.
I don't get why you got all banged up about it.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 06:45:22 PM

Roll Eyes
Please stop vomiting biased mindless FUD all over the place, esp when everyone is telling you you're wrong. Oh, and those pesky facts aren't helping your case either.

Ignore list. Use it. Love it.
philips

Activity: 700

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 06:47:58 PM

MY LS arrived the other day and I have to agree, its almost as loud as a hair dryer.  Maybe not THAT loud.  I think its about on par with my Dyson vacuum cleaner.  I think a hair dryer is louder then that.  I tried changing out fans with a nice Noctua, but the Noctua couldn't keep the temp down low enough.  In the end I went back to a stock fan and I'm dealing with the noise.

There is no way to sleep with this thing in the same room.  I had it 2 rooms away with doors closed and I could still hear it a little from where I was sleeping.  

It is noisy yes, but by removing (or replacing) those drilled plates the noise is reduced dramatically (also temps a bit).

Without those plates the case gets very flimsy though...
Best solution is what BTC-Engineer did, custom grills (there is a topic around here).
1l1l11ll1l
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 06:57:35 PM

[__] Yes
[ X ] No

[__] No
[ X ] Yes

[__] Yes
[ X ] No

[__] Yes
[ X ] No

+1

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2013, 08:14:59 PM

MY LS arrived the other day and I have to agree, its almost as loud as a hair dryer.  Maybe not THAT loud.  I think its about on par with my Dyson vacuum cleaner.  I think a hair dryer is louder then that.  I tried changing out fans with a nice Noctua, but the Noctua couldn't keep the temp down low enough.  In the end I went back to a stock fan and I'm dealing with the noise.

There is no way to sleep with this thing in the same room.  I had it 2 rooms away with doors closed and I could still hear it a little from where I was sleeping. 

Without knowing exactly what these look like...

Have you checked the heatsink(s), in case they skimped out or did a bad job with the thermal paste ?

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 01:19:56 AM

Without knowing exactly what these look like...

Have you checked the heatsink(s), in case they skimped out or did a bad job with the thermal paste ?
If you don't know what they even look like, why are you even offering useless suggestions?

They use a thermal pad, not paste. It's a lot harder to screw up.

You have 2 options: either put the stock fans back in, or run it outside of it's case, without the 2 big fans, and make sure the small fans are blowing down rather than up.

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 10:45:57 AM

I can say that because EVERY PIECE OF ELECTRONIC HARDWARE WITH A HEATSINK HAS SIMILAR CHARACTERISTICS. Tongue

Checking the heatsink(s) to be sure they were installed properly is not a useless suggestion.

Thermal pads can slip, become squished or may not have been lined up properly. Also, trimming the excess pad will improve the air flow.

warm /hot vrms  Shocked Shocked Shocked

uber cool vrms  Cool  Cool  Cool

Silly puckhead, the zamboni fumes are getting to you.. WTF is it with pro sports fanatics being so dense ? Huh  

Welcome to my ignore list. Grin

Hippie Tech
aka Amenstop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 10:56:02 AM

Roll Eyes

Ignore list. Use it. Love it.

I was hoping to avoid that..  Wink

So much for that idea. lol

Smiley

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:13:20 PM

I can say that because EVERY PIECE OF ELECTRONIC HARDWARE WITH A HEATSINK HAS SIMILAR CHARACTERISTICS. Tongue

Checking the heatsink(s) to be sure they were installed properly is not a useless suggestion.

Thermal pads can slip, become squished or may not have been lined up properly. Also, trimming the excess pad will improve the air flow.

warm /hot vrms  Shocked Shocked Shocked

uber cool vrms  Cool  Cool  Cool

Silly puckhead, the zamboni fumes are getting to you.. WTF is it with pro sports fanatics being so dense ? Huh  

Welcome to my ignore list. Grin

Just saying, it prolly wont help. I tore one of my SC Single apart, replaced the thermal pads with some nice fujipoly ones, and the temps were about the same, maybe a 1C drop. Not a drastic improvement.

And why did you double up the thermal pads on those VRMs? You want your thermal pads as thin as possible, so the extra thickness doesn't make sense to me.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go drink beer and watch the Patriots lose.

And I don't have a single person on my ignore list, for the record. I choose to mentally ignore a person's stupid posts, rather than ignore the person in general. I only responded to you cuz I don't want any newbie or less-informed forum member being confused and mis-lead by your FUD crap about DGM or BFL. [cheers]  Smiley Wink

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: