Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:42:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin taxes  (Read 1945 times)
Bartdude (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 09:52:04 AM

What is going on with the taxes?
If i earn money by mining, or by playing on prime-dice and win and then cashout out to my local currency, then this would be legal? The state shouldn't have tax the money i earned?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bartdude (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 10:05:54 AM

Not sure what's going on with the laws here (Greece), but if i exhcange my bitcoins to euros and transfer them to my bank account, i think if the amount of money is big then they will invenstigate where did this money came from.
Bartdude (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 10:15:38 AM

Well im not so sure that i will be billionaire with btc Tongue
but this is just one of my random concerns
icey
Legendary

Activity: 1578
Merit: 1000

May the coin be with you..

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 10:16:54 AM

Not sure what's going on with the laws here (Greece), but if i exhcange my bitcoins to euros and transfer them to my bank account, i think if the amount of money is big then they will invenstigate where did this money came from.

Considering what's actually going on in Greece, i'm sure they'd investigate any significant amount of money moving between accounts be it related to bitcoin or not.

Would it be possible to cash-out via those Polish Cards linked to bank accounts? Should be able to do this with smaller amounts.
Bakemono

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 10:43:32 AM

If i earn money by mining, or by playing on prime-dice and win and then cashout out to my local currency, then this would be legal? The state shouldn't have tax the money i earned?

I guess that if you want to be 100% legal you must declare any earnings when you fill your tax return.
Condidering that declaring earnings in bitcoins is not yet possible, you should at least disclose earnings that you converted to your local currency.

BTC : 1Ct9opEdmq4ZuZmNQmhGBDcurrePFykTRt
LTC : LLqGtKpAdx6Ci8ZaSrvWG6WXfFF3mPK4V9
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 01:37:06 PM

There are two types of taxes you need to worry about with Bitcoin.

The first is regular income tax. If you earn bitcoins by mining or doing any other kind of work, you must declare the market value of your bitcoins as earned income whether you sell them or not. In some jurisdictions (I'm not sure about Greece), this also applies to gifts and gambling winnings. You do not have to pay income tax if you simply bought your coins on an exchange (but see below). You may also be able to claim a deduction on any expenses relating to your bitcoin earnings.

The second is capital gains tax. If you sell or otherwise trade your bitcoins (regardless of how you acquired them), you have to declare the difference between the market value when you acquired your bitcoins and the market value when you disposed of your bitcoins (eg, if you bought BTC100 for €2000 and then sold BTC2 for €200, you would have to declare a capital gain of €160, since you bought your coins for €20 each and sold for €100 each, so you made €80 profit per coin). If the market value when you disposed of your coins is lower than when you acquired your coins, you have a capital loss which you may (again, I don't know what the law is in Greece) be able to claim a deduction on.

I'd advise you to consult an accountant (instead of random people on the Internet) for further clarification of your tax situation (especially regarding capital gains tax, which can get quite complicated). As you point out, if you deposit large sums of money to your bank account, the authorities will find out about it, so be sure to declare it correctly on your tax return.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
marcovaldo

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:09:36 PM

Of course if you speculate / do anything and make money with bitcoins, you have to pay taxes on that, depending on how much you won, and how. You should read something about the laws in your country

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

The First Locally-Embedded, Yet Global, Crypto-Bank
TELEGRAM    FACEBOOK   TWITTER    YOUTUBE    LINE

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
msc

Activity: 282

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 04:37:41 PM

Conversions to your local currency are taxable.  BTC gains from mining or playing around on Bitcoin sites probably aren't taxable until you cash out.

But, if you're a business, and you're accepting payment in Bitcoin, then my opinion is that you should treat those BTC sales as if they were cash sales.  The way you do that is pretend that the customer gave you cash, and you used the cash to buy the BTC.  That way you're not cheating on taxes by accepting Bitcoin.
Bakemono

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 05:49:49 PM

The first is regular income tax. If you earn bitcoins by mining or doing any other kind of work, you must declare the market value of your bitcoins as earned income whether you sell them or not.

So you are telling that if i draw a great painting, i must decrale its market value as earned income, whether i sell it or not?

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 10:56:15 PM

The first is regular income tax. If you earn bitcoins by mining or doing any other kind of work, you must declare the market value of your bitcoins as earned income whether you sell them or not.

So you are telling that if i draw a great painting, i must decrale its market value as earned income, whether i sell it or not?

actually, until you sell it it has no value. consider bitcoins under the capital gains rules and taxes due when it it converted to fiat. Technically, if you spend the Bitcoins you mined you would most likely be required to pay taxes on the fiat value of what you bought. as long as you keep your bitcoins bitcoins and don't spend them i doubt taxes would be required.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 03:37:07 AM

No, because that painting isn't payment for services rendered, which is what mined bitcoins are. They are the payment that miners receive for securing the Bitcoin network. If you receive anything as a payment for services or any other kind of work you did, that's income and you have to declare it.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
corather
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000

Solarcoin.org

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 09:23:56 AM

No, because that painting isn't payment for services rendered, which is what mined bitcoins are. They are the payment that miners receive for securing the Bitcoin network. If you receive anything as a payment for services or any other kind of work you did, that's income and you have to declare it.

Bitcoins are a token like a stock. Until the token is sold there is no tax levied. They do fall under capital gains taxes.

For example if your employer pays you in stocks as well as salary, only your income is declared under regular income taxes. Until you sell the stock there are no taxes generated since they fall under capital gains. Bitcoins are no different.

masyveonk

Activity: 346
Merit: 100

https://bmy.guide

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 09:36:06 AM

You have flawed logic I believe, Bitcoin is not money.

marcovaldo

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 09:57:25 AM

So what is it? Roll Eyes

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
masyveonk

Activity: 346
Merit: 100

https://bmy.guide

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 10:46:59 AM

So what is it? Roll Eyes

Just a state in blockchain file, if you dont spend them you cant be taxed, no one can prove you own the private key when mined, or anytime later. It is not money, and only spend bitcoins havethe value of exchanged item

marcovaldo

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 10:56:24 AM

Just a state in blockchain file, if you dont spend them you cant be taxed, no one can prove you own the private key when mined, or anytime later. It is not money, and only spend bitcoins havethe value of exchanged item

Yes, but still it is money.
And you get taxed on the profits you make with it.

BITEX
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                              ███     ███     ███
                            ███     ███     ███
                          ███     ███     ███
                        ███     ███     ███
                      ███     ███     ███
                    ███     ███     ███
                  ███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███

███     ███     ███
                ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
███     ███     ███
  ███     ███     ███
    ███     ███     ███
      ███     ███     ███
        ███     ███     ███
          ███     ███     ███
            ███     ███     ███
              ███     ███     ███
               ███     ███     ███
                 ███     ███     ███

WHITEPAPER | ANN
JOIN WHITELIST NOW!
saif313

Activity: 84

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 10:58:42 AM

Yes, but still it is money.
And you get taxed on the profits you make with it.

but of peoples not giving taxes on this money which is coming through mining and bitcoins gambling

Bakemono

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 11:27:21 AM

So if someone pulls off a 51% attack he also gets tax free bitcoins?! That's unfair...

neutralist

View Profile
September 23, 2013, 05:22:22 AM

So if someone pulls off a 51% attack he also gets tax free bitcoins?! That's unfair...

If someone is resourceful and brave enough to pull off this shit he deserves all the BTC.
patino11

Activity: 20

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 05:34:43 PM

No taxes. The government does no control it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: