Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:36:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Watercooling advice  (Read 900 times)
l3jmr (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 11:14:03 AM

Hi,

im looking for advice regarding water cooling of my gpu's. I know it probably isnt very cost effective for mining, the reason why im doing this is so i can move 1 or 2 rigs to work where electricity is free. The problem that i have is that it's a pretty small office (12m² ~ 129.17ft²) and it can get very hot overnight and i'm not allowed to have the window open when im not there because then the alarm will go off.

So my question is:
1. Would watercooling solve/lower the exaust heat?
2. How about noise? I'd like to keep it to a minimum as it is a workplace and it would be annoying to listen to all the fans blowing.

⚫ ⚫ ⚫  Listen to the weekly altcoinsidekick.com podcast to understand what cryptocurrency is really all about.  ⚫ ⚫ ⚫
AltcoinSidekick.com - CRYPTO Blog | Podcasts | Videos | Tools  ▬▬▬ ■

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 01:47:22 PM

Hi,

im looking for advice regarding water cooling of my gpu's. I know it probably isnt very cost effective for mining, the reason why im doing this is so i can move 1 or 2 rigs to work where electricity is free. The problem that i have is that it's a pretty small office (12m² ~ 129.17ft²) and it can get very hot overnight and i'm not allowed to have the window open when im not there because then the alarm will go off.

So my question is:
2. How about noise? I'd like to keep it to a minimum as it is a workplace and it would be annoying to listen to all the fans blowing.

1. No, you will produce the same amount of heat. It just gets moved out of the computer and into the room faster.

2. Yes, it can significantly reduce noise. I have two HD 6970's that sounded like hair dryers at full load. Now on water you can barely hear anything.
polarhei

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Firing it up

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:37:04 PM

Office production may not allow water as water is conductive, also when something changed, you will have to buy waterblock needed, that is repeatable. If you care this, I suggest you to use mineral oil cooling system by puget if you cannot afford Novec solution. same effects but safer.

P.S I used to discuss with 3M. Novec solution is close to oil cooling, acting different as when you move your board out of the box, the board will get dry later on which is pretty fast. Suggest to contact with 3M for a demonstration if interested.
l3jmr (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:47:33 PM

Hi,

So my question is:

1. No, you will produce the same amount of heat. It just gets moved out of the computer and into the room faster.

2. Yes, it can significantly reduce noise. I have two HD 6970's that sounded like hair dryers at full load. Now on water you can barely hear anything.

1. Are you sure about this? It doesnt compute with me how can a GPU that's on about 45C generate same amount of heat then a GPU on air with 80C for example?

2. That i like Smiley

⚫ ⚫ ⚫  Listen to the weekly altcoinsidekick.com podcast to understand what cryptocurrency is really all about.  ⚫ ⚫ ⚫
l3jmr (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 02:52:59 PM

Office production may not allow water as water is conductive, also when something changed, you will have to buy waterblock needed, that is repeatable. If you care this, I suggest you to use mineral oil cooling system by puget if you cannot afford Novec solution. same effects but safer.

P.S I used to discuss with 3M. Novec solution is close to oil cooling, acting different as when you move your board out of the box, the board will get dry later on which is pretty fast. Suggest to contact with 3M for a demonstration if interested.
This is my personal office that i rent, i can do whatever i want. What is 3M? Can you explain please. This oil thingie looks very interesting has anyone actually tried it for mining? Cheesy

Tamerz

Activity: 148
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 01:37:14 PM

Hi,

So my question is:

1. Are you sure about this? It doesnt compute with me how can a GPU that's on about 45C generate same amount of heat then a GPU on air with 80C for example?

2. That i like Smiley

1. Yes, 100% sure. The video card uses the same amount of energy no matter how you cool it. The GPU is generating the same amount of heat. The reason it may be 45C when water cooled is because the water efficiently moves the heat away from the video right away. The radiator then can quickly transfer that heat to the ambient air.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: