Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:34:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 4GB VS 8GB. Big differences or not at all?  (Read 204 times)
kukelka (OP)

Activity: 186
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 08:46:05 AM

Hi guys,

Please tell me what is the differences between 4gb ram and 8gb ram?

I am thinking of buying sapphire rx580, but not sure if 4gb or 8gb.

Can somebody tell differences in hashrate?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dalsoft

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:13:47 AM

Depends what you are mining, for example for ETH memory brand (Hynix / Elpida  can get 31 Mh/s) is more important than memory size
kukelka (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:30:29 AM

I am talking about ETH. But made quick research and found myself that 4gb and 8gb cards have almost identical hashrate.
CryptoDocker

Activity: 122
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:44:25 AM

I am talking about ETH. But made quick research and found myself that 4gb and 8gb cards have almost identical hashrate.

It only matters when the DAG file size exceeds 4gb (around 2020) and also 8gb cards have better resale to gamers
jillscarbrough

Activity: 588
Merit: 335

Steady State Finance

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:44:48 AM

The difference:
Boost Clock, Memory Speed, Memory Bandwidth, Memory Performance, Hashrate RX580 4GB: 24 MH/s, 28 MH/s (Modded), RX580 8 GB : 26 MH/s, 30-31 MH/s (Modded+OC)
h311m4n

Activity: 487
Merit: 266

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:45:53 AM

The memory size does not matter in terms of hashrate. The only impact is the DAG size. 3Gb cards are already useless at mining ETH, 4Gb will be next. That said, who still mines ETH anyway  Tongue. What really matters is the quality and brand of your memory. I have a bunch of 470 4Gb that will hash @ 29Mh/s stable and without memory errors while some 8Gb cards I have will hash at 27/28 stable.

The resell argument for 8Gb cards makes little sense to me. Once you sell your RX, it'll be "obsolete" anyway so it won't really sell for much anyway...they are already older gen cards since vegas came out.
kukelka (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:49:22 AM

The memory size does not matter in terms of hashrate. The only impact is the DAG size. 3Gb cards are already useless at mining ETH, 4Gb will be next. That said, who still mines ETH anyway  Tongue

The resell argument for 8Gb cards makes little sense to me. Once you sell your RX, it'll be "obsolete" anyway so it won't really sell for much anyway...they are already older gen cards since vegas came out.

What about other coins to mine with 4gb ?
h311m4n

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:50:40 AM

The memory size does not matter in terms of hashrate. The only impact is the DAG size. 3Gb cards are already useless at mining ETH, 4Gb will be next. That said, who still mines ETH anyway  Tongue

You can mine pretty much anything with 4Gb cards today (talking about RX 4xx/5xx series). They are pretty good at cryptonight algo, neoscrypt too.
kukelka (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:53:27 AM

You can mine pretty much anything with 4Gb cards today (talking about RX 4xx/5xx series). They are pretty good at cryptonight algo, neoscrypt too.

Alright. How hard to is to change mining coin from eth to any other? with rx 5xx series
And it could be any any coin or is there some list which coin can be mined? or any site to check the profitability and other inf? Wink
h311m4n

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 10:02:11 AM

Alright. How hard to is to change mining coin from eth to any other? with rx 5xx series
And it could be any any coin or is there some list which coin can be mined? or any site to check the profitability and other inf? Wink

Mate honestly you're like 1 in a million to ask this same question, don't mean to be rude, but it's true  Tongue

All the info you need you can find in the mining section where you posted this thread. Just use different miners for different algos and whattomine to check for coins and profitability. I think you can figure out the rest young padawan Wink
kukelka (OP)

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 11:31:26 AM
Last edit: February 21, 2018, 11:44:34 AM by kukelka

Mate honestly you're like 1 in a million to ask this same question, don't mean to be rude, but it's true  Tongue

All the info you need you can find in the mining section where you posted this thread. Just use different miners for different algos and whattomine to check for coins and profitability. I think you can figure out the rest young padawan Wink

very true ! ... sorry Cheesy
thanks for answer tho
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: