Bitcoin Forum
July 05, 2024, 02:57:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a whitelist ?  (Read 240 times)
Pitou (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 10:16:15 AM

Hello,

Many project spoke about whitelist. What is it?

Thanks for your answer !
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 11:12:54 AM

I think maybe OP is referring to the toxic world of ICO's and airdrops, where penniless chancers can pretend to want to invest in the shit, but in reality are just hoping to receive a few tokens bounty by registering early fake interest in the offer.
"White listing" done properly would involve due dilligence by the Offerer on the potential investor and clear any KYC/AML procedures prior to any money changing hands but, as usual in crypto, it's been perverted from its original function. 

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
compimprove

Activity: 28

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 02:07:57 PM

Whitelist is a list or register of entities that provide a particular privilege, service, mobility, access or recognition. Entities on the list will be accepted, approved and/or recognized. Whitelisting is the reverse of blacklisting, the practice of identifying entities that are denied, unrecognised, or ostracised.
tmfp
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737

"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 06:10:22 PM

Whitelist is a list or register of entities that provide a particular privilege, service, mobility, access or recognition. Entities on the list will be accepted, approved and/or recognized. Whitelisting is the reverse of blacklisting, the practice of identifying entities that are denied, unrecognised, or ostracised.

I'm sure he can Google Wikipedia himself. That's called plagiarism if you don't quote the source.

Extraordinary Claims require Extraordinary Evidence
carrretero

Activity: 4

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2018, 06:30:47 PM

In my experience, when I participated in an ICO, it was basically having my ETH address approved after I completed the KYC process, and having that address put on the whitelist. I was then able to check the whitelist submitting my address from the ICO´s webpage to see whether it has been approved and listed on the whitelist. As a result, when the token sale starts, the contribution you would send from that address will be accepted, if you send it from a different address the tranaction would be reversed and the funds returned to your address. That was at least my particular experience in one particular ICO but I imagine the process is similar in other ICOs.
Thefrolly

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 07:40:35 PM

If you want to participate in an ICO (Initial Coin Offering) project, then many require you to be in their whitelist before buying any coins. They ask you to fill KYC form to whitelist you. Whitelist is useful to prevent spam.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
hlk251

Activity: 45

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 07:47:40 PM

register for all the whitelists,even you do not involve in ICO sale, you can sell your whitelisted account Wink
krisjoygallatiera

Activity: 27

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 03:15:47 PM

A whitelist ICO means that you have to register in advance to participate in the ICOs, which are usually hallmarks of popular ICOs that have a limited number of coins to offer. Knowing which ICOs are coming up will enable you to plan ahead, especially for ICOs that has a whitelist.
rivkavender

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 03:17:56 PM

a list of coins that you want to trade
Minnasan

Activity: 112
Merit: 4

View Profile
April 09, 2018, 03:39:19 PM

A whitelist ICO means that you have to register in advance to participate in the ICOs, which are usually hallmarks of popular ICOs that have a limited number of coins to offer. Knowing which ICOs are coming up will enable you to plan ahead, especially for ICOs that has a whitelist.

You need to be careful dude, i was researching about whitelist and i was found this website link Beginner's Guide to ICO Investing: How to Participate in ICOs, and from there I found a sentence that is almost the same as your answer (or maybe you just edit some parts only)

"... Knowing which ICOs are coming up will enable you to plan ahead, especially for ICOs that has a whitelist. A whitelist ICO means that you have to register in advance to participate in the ICOs, which are usually hallmarks of popular ICOs that have a limited number of coins to offer ...."

I hope that if you want to answer a question you have to add the source of the answer you found, in contrast to the answer of what you know, because what you do may be someone else who thinks it is a plagiarism (and the worst scenario is you reported) .. So you should be more careful...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   DICE.money   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀|   A NEW GENERATION SOCIAL CRYPTOCURRENCY   |▀
3lyntio

Activity: 28

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 07:05:44 AM

A whitelist is a list of items that are granted access to a certain system or protocol. When a whitelist is used, all entities are denied access, except those included in the whitelist. The opposite of a whitelist is a blacklist, which allows access from all items, except those included the list.
tnekramor

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 07:17:20 AM

Giving access to dev team to send you information about updates on their project.
iimin

Activity: 322

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 08:40:21 AM

If you want to participate in an ICO (Initial Coin Offering) project, then many require you to be in their whitelist before buying any coins. They ask you to fill KYC form to whitelist you. Whitelist is useful to prevent spam.

Thanks for kind explanation.. I understand very well  Cheesy
Enhinyero

Activity: 20

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 10:25:18 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your answer !

Whitelist is a pre-registration for those who want to contribute in an ICO in exchange for rewards - tokens.
AkropolisTeam

Activity: 76

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 03:22:04 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your answer !

Whitelist usually means going through KYC/AML. It's also may mean passing through some kind of test or describing your vision (if it's similar to team's vision - you'll pass)
MintDiceSupport

Activity: 154
Merit: 11

MintDice Support

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2018, 06:01:13 PM

A whitelist simply means you have to register before participating the in the ICO  Smiley

Mintdice.com
stefan2208

Activity: 43

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 06:43:09 PM

Whitelist is a list of registered and approved participants that are given exclusive access to contribute to an initial coin offering (ICO) or a presale.
upekhaanthony

Activity: 238
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:18:55 PM

The whitelist is a process of registration to some Initial coins offering. Some ICOs ask whitelist to participate in their token sale. With a whitelist, the ICO team add some restriction to the community to participate their ICO. most of the whitelist requirement is KYC(Know your customer ) documents.

anneke2001

Activity: 85
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 05:19:31 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2018, 05:30:48 PM by anneke2001

A whitelist is a list of all entities allowed access.
A blacklist is a list of all entities denied access.
An entity in a whitelist takes precedence over it's entry in the blacklist.
brooklynian

Activity: 392
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 26, 2018, 11:33:30 PM

Whitelist is a register containing the names of persons who are eligible to participate in the ICO of the project. The project team would have spelt out the requirements (like KYC) and the period the whitelisting will cover.  This will also help the team to plan ahead of time.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: