Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:14:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: tldr: Why isn't KNC able to compete with *55nm bitfury's W/GH?  (Read 6595 times)
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 21, 2013, 08:50:18 PM

bitfury designed their own transistors. Just clarifying.

Correct, I since read that elsewhere. Even I cant always be right Smiley
I would like to know more about bitfury (and about how one makes it's own transistor, or how smart must one be to go from nothing to best chip in bitcoin in 5 years). What threads can i read? Just his posts here on the forum?

Thanks.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 04:35:44 PM

Are you saying you think they lied when they specifically said it was a standard cell design and not an FPGA conversion?

Where did they say that and what did they say exactly?
You have to admit, the chip being nearly 4x the size of hashfast, worse power consumption, very fast tape out and promised post tape out implementations, apparently no interest in any tests and done by a company that promotes its hardcopy services. I dont know if they lied or what they said, but if it talks like a duck...
I believe they advertised it as a FPGA copy, but the tech guy was ripping his eyes out at having to submit it. He wanted to spend more time on it.

WTF are you talking about? They never said it was an FPGA copy.  They said it was a standard cell design, and NOT and FPGA copy.

If I had any doubts, this removes it:
https://www.kncminer.com/userfiles/image/ASIC_PCB.jpg

Thats an altera cyclone FPGA on there. THats what you would use to prototype your design (and pcb).
THe chance that a custom asic would fit, let alone work in the same board as an altera fpga is zero.

Moreover they write underneath that picture:
We will be using these boards to fully validate the entire setup. They will consume the same power, make the same noise level, produce the same heat and run the same RTL code. The only difference will be related to hashing.

Definitely an altera hardcopy implementation.

Definitely someone who doesn't know what "RTL" actually stands for, let alone what it means.

Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 04:40:30 PM

bitfury designed their own transistors. Just clarifying.

Correct, I since read that elsewhere. Even I cant always be right Smiley
I would like to know more about bitfury (and about how one makes it's own transistor, or how smart must one be to go from nothing to best chip in bitcoin in 5 years). What threads can i read? Just his posts here on the forum?

Thanks.

When you do a full-custom chip design, you actually specify the locations and sizes of the components of the transistors (source, gate, drain, etc)

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: