Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 10:13:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What will the open source Ripple competitor look like?  (Read 1824 times)
annette786 (OP)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 07:23:28 AM

Ripple is supposedly going open source on the 26th.  Is it possible to have miners instead of relying on a few people to distribute pre-mined coins?

annette786 (OP)

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 03:13:19 PM

bump
trevos

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 04:09:23 PM

I don't think so. They already planned to giveaway some coins, and sell the others.
Open source or not does not matter.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:21:43 PM

As soon as they release the code we will know if it's mineable or it using some other method.
chriswen

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:23:21 PM

Well, unless they change it, the original plan was it to not be minable.  There will be nodes that will work on consensus and verifying transactions but no PoW mining. 
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 05:26:47 PM

Well, unless they change it, the original plan was it to not be minable.  There will be nodes that will work on consensus and verifying transactions but no PoW mining. 

Then it must be it's something similar to TimeKoin or eMunie.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 05:31:55 PM

Hash Crunching Idiots. -satoshi
Arvicco

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2013, 03:05:20 PM

I suppose it is very much possible to replicate the whole Ripple system based on mining, without pre-mined XRP. All you need is a lottery mechanism to distribute XRP to nodes participating in consensus-building. Instead of proof of work (as in Bitcoin and its alts), such network would require proof of consensus (POC) from all participating nodes. Roughly, the more each node is in agreement with the rest of network, the higher its chances to win in the lottery.

Exact mechanism to enact such lottery needs to be worked out, but this task is not unsurmountable. New coins release schedule could be structured in a similar way to Bitcoin, using (possibly gradually) diminishing scale. This way, XRP-equivalent will be issued in a predictable manner, preventing the uncertainty and the need to trust central authority that is the bane of ripple.com scheme.

In all other respects, such system may 100% replicate Ripple functionality, use Ripple protocols and Ripple client/server software. That is, until "OpenCoin" starts enforcing its hidden copyrights, patents, intentionally break compatibility and whatnot against such a competitor that would surely force them out of business otherwise.

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 21, 2013, 05:14:10 PM

Necro-thread.  Smiley

That whole open-source thing for Ripple.... kind of flopped on the news cycle, huh. Is anyone even working on a clone of Ripple, or have people forgotten about it entirely?
Arvicco

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 12:01:41 AM

Why would anyone with an IQ higher than 90 touch ripple  Huh Huh

Do you mean Ripple-like systems in general, or ripple.com specifically? Ripple is yet unproven, but still interesting idea of a community-based credit system, with many potential benefits. ripple.com is a proprietary implementation of this system that many people find deeply flawed, to the point of being unusable. It does not mean that a better system could not be implemented.

Necro-thread.  Smiley

Well, initial posts failed to produce a meaningful answer to a very direct question. I find this question quite interesting and claim some technical expertise on the matter (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150447). So I did my best to address it. It's not like the situation with Ripple changed much in the last month, so I hope OP may still find my answer somewhat useful.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 08:35:09 AM

ripple.com is a proprietary implementation of this system[...]

In case you didn't notice, in the last month the source code for rippled, the only component that was not publicly available with an Open Source license got published.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
October 22, 2013, 09:59:02 AM

ripple.com is a proprietary implementation of this system[...]

In case you didn't notice, in the last month the source code for rippled, the only component that was not publicly available with an Open Source license got published.

In case you didn't notice, SSL's web of trust is implemented in an open source manner however it's still de facto centralized.
Arvicco

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
October 22, 2013, 03:17:21 PM
Last edit: October 22, 2013, 03:50:38 PM by Arvicco

Which does nothing to change the fact that ripple.com is inherently a centralized and proprietary system, with de-facto and de-jure unlimited control by Ripple Labs (nee OpenCoin). Built around a proprietary currency 100% pre-issued, arbitrarily distributed and continuously "managed" by Ripple Labs.

Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 11:04:21 AM

I am not too sure if you mean the same by "centralized", "unlimited control" and "proprietory" as I do...

If you dislike it, just fork it and build your own, better network. Same as with SSL - you can easily issue certificates yourself or with Bitcoin (we are in the Altcoin section after all, where far ofer 90% of "coins" are just simple forks) as well. If you are not using tha Satoshi chain, you can even run with the exact same rules and still not send any money to anyone claiming to accept "Bitcoin".

I read in quite a few threads that Ripple will be immediately forked as the idea behind the system is good but the implementation with XRP (or the distribution of these) sucks. Well, so far I have yet to even see any large fork on github. Even in the Open Source announcements the possibility of forks is mentioned.

Arvicco

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
October 23, 2013, 06:16:49 PM

If you dislike it, just fork it and build your own, better network.

Such emotion-loaded language is for some reason often used by people promoting XRP and ripple.com on these forums. I wonder why is that? Failing to find technical and rational arguments, maybe? Or, perhaps, attempt to "re-define" very real problems and issues out of existence is so much easier than addressing them?

Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 08:48:38 PM

Such emotion-loaded language is for some reason often used by people promoting XRP and ripple.com on these forums. I wonder why is that?
No, I got from you:
Which does nothing to change the fact that ripple.com is inherently a centralized and proprietary system, with de-facto and de-jure unlimited control by Ripple Labs (nee OpenCoin). Built around a proprietary currency 100% pre-issued, arbitrarily distributed and continuously "managed" by Ripple Labs.
This is your private opinion, not a fact, unless backed by arguments or reasons.
I am of a very differnt opinion in a lot of these points, on the other hand I fear I'd waste the time of both of us if I start now discussing everything in detail and I honestly don't see the point, just as I don't preach about Bitcoin to people who think it's a scam. Over time they will learn by themselves that it is not or it is a failure anyways.

Also I do certainly NOT promote XRP, a currency that I like for its idea (acting as path shortener in Ripple) but that I would certainly not promote like Bitcoin.

QuantPlus

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2013, 08:54:06 PM

Such emotion-loaded language is for some reason often used by people promoting XRP and ripple.com on these forums. I wonder why is that? Failing to find technical and rational arguments, maybe? Or, perhaps, attempt to "re-define" very real problems and issues out of existence is so much easier than addressing them?

OpenBong exploited the Bitcoin community to bootstrap Ripple...
And basically stands in opposition to everything Satoshi believed.

Also, every single business in the Ripple ecosystem is a money loser...
(Except the Ripple Principals who win-win at others' expense)...
So everybody on that side it always testy.

Also XRP is down > 50% since "open source"...
And as the Ripple Apologist mentioned, no one is forking Ripple...
Zero interest... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Flop of the year, baby... compare to MCX = hit of the year.
Arvicco

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2013, 12:50:39 AM

No, I got from you:
This is your private opinion, not a fact, unless backed by arguments or reasons.

OK, let's try to be objective here. Which part of "100% pre-issued", "arbitrarily distributed", "continuously managed" "proprietary currency" you consider my opinion rather than a simple statement of a fact?

Sukrim
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2013, 07:47:33 AM

"100% pre-issued": Agreed, though Ripple is not XRP.

"arbitrarily distributed": Kinda agreed, not completely arbitrarily (Bitcoin is/was being FAR more arbitrarily distributed). I don't see the bad side of this though.

"continuously managed": Well, only with consensus of the community, like Bitcoin. As RipleLabs holds still a supermajority of XRP, they can devalue the currency at will, act and trade accordingly.

"proprietary currency": I'm not too sure what you mean by that, probably that only one entity controls a lot of it and initially controlled all of it? Again, you confuse "Ripple" with "XRP.

Also what you didn't repeat but what I far less agree with are the following statement(s):
"Which does nothing to change the fact that ripple.com is inherently a centralized and proprietary system, with de-facto and de-jure unlimited control by Ripple Labs (nee OpenCoin)."

"centralized system": Currently, still quite true, as there are few validators besides RL that I added to my UNL. This can and will change though and it already is far less centralized than any other exchange out there, including Localbitcoins with their escrow (=IOU) function.

"proprietary system": Again, I'm not too sure what you mean by that. Every piece of code to bootstrap and run your own Ripple system is available under Open Source licenses. Yes, Ripple is mainly developed by Ripple Labs, that does not make them proprietary. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_software - maybe you mean "commercial" instead?)

"de-facto unlimited control": For one single instance of fraud, yes. They can probably (with quite a bit of effort) produce a ledger that suddenly does anything they want. This is maybe even true to a larger extent than BTC mining pools doing a huge double spend or rewriting a part of history. It will also have an even larger influence on their trustworthiness and likely sums that were stolen that way wouldn't be released by gateways, similar to the hacking incident at MtGox some time ago. After RL prooved themselves untrustworthy, Ripple would be more or less dead I guess. Combine that with the high chance that IOUs can NOT be redeemed if they screw something up (the only asset in Ripple are XRP, IOUs depend on counter parties! There is no need to steal XRP for RL, as they own far too many of them anyways...) and I personally would say they have a lower incentive to cheat or game the system than e.g. mining pools in BTC (who have only to play by the rules because miners are likely also a bit emotional about how their money is made - if they weren't there woudl be some serious issues in Bitcoinland, like pools gaming Satoshi's dice...)

"de-iure unlimited control": It is Open Source. I don't know too much about this american idiocy of patenting software, but I doubt that this would be enforceable after releasing the software into the public with a license that says: "Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.".

Arvicco

Please bear with me

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2013, 06:45:06 PM

Here is how our friend Google defines proprietary: "(of a product) marketed under and protected by a registered trade name."

Let's look into Ripple Labs TOS (I bolded relevant parts for your convenience):
9. Trademarks
“Ripple Labs,” “Ripple,”, the Ripple Labs logos and any other Ripple Labs product or service name, logo or slogan contained in the Site are trademarks or service marks of Ripple Labs (the “Ripple Labs Marks”) and may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, except as expressly permitted in these Terms or on the Site or with the prior written permission of Ripple Labs. You may not use any metatags or any other “hidden text” utilizing any Ripple Labs Marks without our prior written permission. In addition, the look and feel of the Site, including all page headers, custom graphics, button icons and scripts, is the service mark, trademark and/or trade dress of Ripple Labs and is part of the Ripple Labs Marks and may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, without our prior written permission except as expressly permitted herein or on the Site. All other trademarks, registered trademarks, product names and company names or logos mentioned in the Site are the property of their respective owners and may not be copied, imitated or used, in whole or in part, without the written permission of the applicable trademark holder. Reference to any products, services, processes or other information, by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, supplier or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, sponsorship or recommendation thereof by us.

Both Ripple and XRP are Ripple Labs product/service names and therefore proprietary. According to https://ripple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2662, OpenCoin/RippleLabs is actively wielding its trademarks to prevent other people from using it, such as their legal action to quench the use of "Ripple Card" by other company. They do not have any clear policy on permissible use of their trademarks (one may assume intentionally), so there is no reason to believe they won't wield their legal ammo once again to kill anything that even remotely competes with their proprietary system.

Still wondering why no one puts his efforts into building "Ripple alternative" using their "open source software"?  

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: