Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:06:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should a person with terminal illness be able to end their own life ?  (Read 250 times)
btcminer49er (OP)

Activity: 327
Merit: 116

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 09:03:29 PM
Merited by Foxpup (3), Vod (1)

Okay *gasps*

For me this is kinda an important topic. And a life question for a long time.
I am not and do not concider myself pessimistic, but I have always wondered what would I do if something happened
I have seen people struggle, and it's just an endless struggle that everyone takes part in...Is it easier for an ill person or his family ?

It's not easy for anyone

Knowing you will most certanly die actually destroys lives around you, everyone is expecting a bad thing...so even that makes the whole thing a lot harder.

Here is my story...something I experienced thankefully not on my skin. I know how my friend had a very big struggle when he found out his mom had cancer. It was just a question, when ? But still there is that hope in people, they've spent fortune on treatment, struggling from day to day hoping something will get better, and that alone makes it so hard for them in the end. Because hope is the thing that destroys them the most if it doesn't turn the way they thought it would. Now she is gone, Rest in peace, and her family is devastated, but they keep on trying their best.

But you know, somethimes they wish she would only die sooner, easier and suffer less.

Thinking about all of this made me realize, I don't want my family to suffer, I think you should have control of your life in that situation. And if the state you are in is really hard and it isn't making it for your family any easier, why you all have to suffer ?

I don't know, I am still thinking about this and just can't come to a conclusion...what do you guys thing ?

Sorry for the long post I think I am just repeating myself but I'm just writing what I am thinking at the exact moment  Smiley 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 02:19:52 AM

It is the person who would suffer so I think they should be the one making the decision. If you have a living will and you go brain dead then it would be easy since they'd simply not put you on life support. The problem is if you don't have one. Depending on the country, the doctors might not be allowed to cut off support and so on.

It gets more complicated if you are still conscious. What if you are in constant pain from a condition that so far still have no cure and you are spending your days either in constant pain or sedated? Shouldn't your quality of life also be considered?
L00n3y

Activity: 490
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 03:13:06 AM

Okay *gasps*

I am not and do not concider myself pessimistic, but I have always wondered what would I do if something happened
I have seen people struggle, and it's just an endless struggle that everyone takes part in...Is it easier for an ill person or his family ?

It's not easy for anyone

Knowing you will most certanly die actually destroys lives around you, everyone is expecting a bad thing...so even that makes the whole thing a lot harder.

Here is my story...something I experienced thankefully not on my skin. I know how my friend had a very big struggle when he found out his mom had cancer. It was just a question, when ? But still there is that hope in people, they've spent fortune on treatment, struggling from day to day hoping something will get better, and that alone makes it so hard for them in the end. Because hope is the thing that destroys them the most if it doesn't turn the way they thought it would. Now she is gone, Rest in peace, and her family is devastated, but they keep on trying their best.

But you know, somethimes they wish she would only die sooner, easier and suffer less.

Thinking about all of this made me realize, I don't want my family to suffer, I think you should have control of your life in that situation. And if the state you are in is really hard and it isn't making it for your family any easier, why you all have to suffer ?

I don't know, I am still thinking about this and just can't come to a conclusion...what do you guys thing ?

Sorry for the long post I think I am just repeating myself but I'm just writing what I am thinking at the exact moment  Smiley 

Terminal illness like cancer can cost a lot of fortune. The thing is, modern medicine will not prolong life, it will also extend the suffering not just of the patient but to the family as well. If all hope is gone and resources are drained then i would readily agree to mercy killing.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1365

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 03:19:45 AM

Proverbs 24:11,12:
11Rescue those being led away to death;

hold back those staggering toward slaughter.

12If you say, “But we knew nothing about this,”

does not he who weighs the heart perceive it?

Does not he who guards your life know it?

Will he not repay everyone according to what they have done?

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
paulwallyall

Activity: 73
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 03:25:31 AM

Of course they should be able too. Why wouldn't they?

Even if you're not terminally ill you still can choose what you do with your life. It's not like you can make suicide illegal no matter how tragic it is.
summerbloom

Activity: 124

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 07:54:40 AM

Okay *gasps*

It's not easy for anyone

For me in my opinion, God only allowed to end his patients life, because death arrives at any moment and any age of those person,they have own distiny, no matter are what the reason ,on other hand I'm not supporting doctors to conduct take away patient life, because life  precious,i would support death with dignity because God decides our lives to live or die
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18504

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:45:25 AM

Why do people always bring God in to discussions like this? Your belief in a God should not allow you to dictate what others can do with their bodies.

We accept that forcing animals to live in constant pain is inhumane, but we don't extend the same reasoning to humans? Makes no sense, in my opinion.

Provided the person in question can prove they are of sound mind, or have a valid advanced directive, they should be allowed to die with some dignity.
Nerobasta
Copper Member

Activity: 130
Merit: 67

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 10:57:16 AM

This question is actually very much sensitive, but on my opinion a person have the right to decide for themselves. But if its the casenof ending their own life, it will fall on the category of suicide for which people living in a religious nation will agree that its a mortal sin. If they still insist to end their own life its up to them and their family's approval and it should happen closed doors.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1365

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 12:12:26 PM

Go to a cemetery. Find an old one that has graves from 200 years ago. Most of these people didn't kill themselves. Yet they were terminally ill or they wouldn't be dead.

What are you really asking for? If you don't have the physical strength to take your own life, you are probably going to die shortly anyway. If you have the strength, but are too chicken to do it, are you asking someone else to do it for you after you take a sleeping pill so that you don't have to watch them do it?

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
jayyen

Activity: 112
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 18, 2018, 02:37:59 PM

Nobody has the right to take life. If it is their own life or that of another persons life under no circumstances. Terminal illness do not give anybody the mandate to take life until nature takes it's course.Miracles do happen everyday and a ternlnally ill person can recover .
Pumapipa

Activity: 462
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 03:51:42 AM

In the medical field, there is an order called " DNR" or "Do Not Revive" usually, this is carried out by the immediate relatives upon request of the patient. During terminal illnesses, the patient may request to not be revived if an event of an arrest will take place. In my opinion, this is a legal and acceptable way to end a life in the part of the patient . So technically, this thought has always been in practice for quite some time already.
IndigoRed

Activity: 196

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 04:45:28 AM

There are institutions that can assist those with illnesses to end their life when they choose to do so. Dignitas in Switzerland is an example. So I guess it's a matter of choice and it will also depend on the religious beliefs of the person.
I cannot imagine the pain a family must go through. My hopes, especially now there so many revolutionizing technologies being developed, is to have a means to not just extend the life of a person, but to enhance it in whatever shape or form the digital world can create.
JoBoo

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 04:54:20 AM

People can suffer terrible pain and it not be life threatening. Or people can live in little to no pain, but life with drastically debilitating limitations.

I think people should be allowed to make their own decision and choose when to live and when to die.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4340
Merit: 3041

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 05:44:09 AM

Of course. If you have a dying animal, you'd be arrested for animal cruelty if you don't put it out of its misery. Yet for some reason some people insist that humans in that position should be forced to continue suffering. I won't even pretend to understand what goes on in the twisted mind of someone who would wish further suffering on the sick and dying.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
criza

Activity: 574
Merit: 108

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 05:56:24 AM

Euthanasia is one of the most controversial and serious issue in discourse people argue about. Is it in favor of the ill? Or in his/her family? Or is it the right thing to do? Well, my take about this would be neither yes or no. I stand by what my belief about any killings that it is not right whatever the reason/s is/are, but in this case, it could be a different take. Yes, it is not right to kill but what if that illness is what kills him/her and makes them feel not alive and slowly dying without even knowing when and how the pain could end. This I think should be based onto how the situation highly requires it and of course, to the ill and his/her family. The decision must be based on those since they will be the one who do get involved about it.

[   B E S T   C H A N G E   ]      Best Rates For Exchanging Cryptocurrency
●              ►              Buy bitcoin with credit card  ✓              ◄              ●
FACEBOOK                TWITTER                INSTAGRAM                TELEGRAM
JoBoo

Activity: 25

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 01:33:19 PM

Of course. If you have a dying animal, you'd be arrested for animal cruelty if you don't put it out of its misery. Yet for some reason some people insist that humans in that position should be forced to continue suffering. I won't even pretend to understand what goes on in the twisted mind of someone who would wish further suffering on the sick and dying.

This is my opinion too.

I think the people who protest against right to die humanely would argue that if one person with a particular liveable condition were to be allowed to die - that it sets a precedence that others with that same condition are being a burden for not choosing to die humanely also.

I don't think I would want to live as a quadriplegic (paralysis of all four limbs) - I would want to die. I would unquestionanly be a burden.

However, those against right to die fear that other quadriplegics would feel compelled to make the decision to die also - which is nonsense.

Let the individual decide their own faith.
El_rancho

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 19, 2018, 02:14:27 PM

It's a very sensitive topic, one that falls hard on the person himself and the family. There
are nations with laws that allow this sort of thing, I assuem they have protocols and arrangements
that handle special cases such as euthanasia and mercy killing. I guess some countriees support
the decisions and rights of terminally ill-patients to make decisions for themselves. Personally I
think it's a sin to resort to such things, it's suicide. In the end it's a personal choice and
it's irreversible in a lot of situations.
BARNEX

Activity: 103

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 06:42:47 PM

Yes, is an sensitive topic, but I agree this. An person with these issues, should be able to decide to terminate life.
TheCoinGrabber

Activity: 994
Merit: 302

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 06:50:50 PM

This one. If you have a cat and is told that it have a disease that would take a year to progress that would cause it pain, would you let it? That would be selfishness on your part.

I guess the same can be said of humans. It's about the quality of life lived. I'd rather die now if I know that I'll be spending the remaining years of my life in coma with very little chance of waking up again.
David_mcDavid

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 20, 2018, 06:51:12 PM

Yes, anyone should have that option, but only if taken during the illness by someone "awake".
I wouldn't allow any kind of instructions for comas or similar situations
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: