Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 02:15:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are bitcoin gambling sites illegal in USA?  (Read 7850 times)
colinistheman (OP)

Activity: 873
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 12:59:13 PM

Are bitcoin gambling sites illegal in USA?

(sub-question: Does it make a difference where they're hosted, ie. if they're hosted outside USA?)

Lastly, If an online game involving money and payouts requires skill more than luck, is it considered gambling? And is it illegal?

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 22, 2013, 01:10:50 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2013, 05:44:28 AM by b!z

I've read somewhere that the U.S gov considers virtual currencies (such as BTC) to be money. Gambling sites must be regulated by the gov I believe (including 'skill' based games like poker). It would help to do research on Bitcoin gambling legal status in certain countries. Many sites don't accept US customers anymore, like satoshidice. If they are outside the US they will have a lower chance of being shut down, than if they are in the US.

This is what I've read. It is not legal advice, and I am not a lawyer.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2013, 01:12:13 PM

IANAL so cannot give formal legal advice on this non-simple question, but it seems the answer to your question depends a lot on which state you are located in. Some, such as New York, have pretty stringent gambling laws and they might not automatically be letting you off the hook just because you don't deal in fiat.

AIUI the federal UIGEA additions don't make gaming itself illegal, right? Just funding gambling operators (all the loopholes in that law notwithstanding).

Again, IANAL so there's no legal advice in this post; take what I have to opine with a pinch of impure sodium chloride.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
StockBet.com

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

Make A Bet on WORKING SOFTWARE

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2014, 12:12:09 AM

According to Boston University Law Review, the laws or regulations pertaining to online gambling are related to how much money the government can make or lose, not related to morals or the pretext of protecting consumers.  See:

http://stockbet.com/#/support/gambling

jeffersonairplane
Legendary

Activity: 1522

www.bitkong.com

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:33:29 AM

From my understanding Bitcoin gambling isn't illegal per say on a federal level. However, state wise, rules and regulation of virtual gambling are regulated, some more than others.

BTCitcointalk
.    ██████████████████████████████████
                                                                 ██
                                                               ███   ██
                                                      ██      ███  ███
                                                     ███     ██  ███  ██
    ▄▄████▄▄    █▌                                         ███  ██  ██
  ██▀       ▀▀  █▌                                   ▀▀   ██▌███  ███ ██
▄█              █▌  ▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄  ▄▄   ▄   ▄▄▄█▄████████ ████   
█▌              ███▀.   ██    ██     ▀███   ███▀
   ████████████████      ▐█
█               ██       █   ██        ██   ██
     █████████▌██████       ▐█
█▌              █▌       █▌  █         ██   ██
      ██████████▀   █       ▐█
 █▄             █▌       █▌
█████████████████████████████████▌     █       ██
  ▀██▄     ▄██  ██
████████▌██████████████████████████████████     ██▄   ▄███
     ▀████▀▀████████████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████               ██▄▀▀██    ▀▀▀  ██
   ███▀▀▄▄▄█████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██████▄     ██
 ███▄▄██████████▀                                                 ▀█████▀▀
                                                                        ███

█████████████████████████████
Program

❤️
Give Hope To Everyone
━━━━━━━» $1 Is A Big Thing For Them

❤️
Danglebee

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 02:57:11 AM

why think proper sites do not host in usa ?
you kidding yourself if think legal to run unregistered gambling currency site.

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 06:37:17 AM

Most of the laws relating gambling and sports betting relate to dollars being transferred across state lines. The fact that we haven't seen a bitcoin gambling site shut down it pretty good news. I've seen other more traditional gambling sites shut down. Their website was removed and replaced with a giant Department of Homeland Security seal. I don't think it's very difficult for the appropriate US agency to take down a website if it really wants to. Most hosting companies are going to comply readily with any requests by the US government.
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:54:06 PM

Definitely not legal to run one in the US except for certain states and you'd have to go through more hoops than any BTC owner would want to.  So that's why they're all in other countries. I believe there are a few states like MD where it's illegal to even play but other states are more vague and it's generally accepted as allowable for the indiviudal players (but not the companies I think).
jjc326

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2014, 05:59:47 PM

Most of the laws relating gambling and sports betting relate to dollars being transferred across state lines. The fact that we haven't seen a bitcoin gambling site shut down it pretty good news. I've seen other more traditional gambling sites shut down. Their website was removed and replaced with a giant Department of Homeland Security seal. I don't think it's very difficult for the appropriate US agency to take down a website if it really wants to. Most hosting companies are going to comply readily with any requests by the US government.

Well, there was Bitbook.biz which was like the top sports betting site and disappeared pretty quickly.  They let people take their BTC out but it was really hush hush about why it closed.  And I think it might have been located in US, which would explain why they closed.  This is speculation but there's never been a reason given for bitbook closure.
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 07, 2014, 07:55:21 AM

Well, there was Bitbook.biz which was like the top sports betting site and disappeared pretty quickly.  They let people take their BTC out but it was really hush hush about why it closed.  And I think it might have been located in US, which would explain why they closed.  This is speculation but there's never been a reason given for bitbook closure.

Technically you could have it hosted somewhere else and use a vpn to access it. The risks would be quite high if you are caught.

LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2014, 04:36:05 AM

Technically you could have it hosted somewhere else and use a vpn to access it. The risks would be quite high if you are caught.

Really?

Watch this.......................................................................

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
StockBet.com

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2014, 06:12:59 PM

Well, there was Bitbook.biz which was like the top sports betting site and disappeared pretty quickly.  They let people take their BTC out but it was really hush hush about why it closed.  And I think it might have been located in US, which would explain why they closed.  This is speculation but there's never been a reason given for bitbook closure.

There might have been a few RARE occasions, but governments don't generally try to stop players.  They care mainly about the money and hence they are trying to block competition.  It's easier to stop this competition by blocking the operatings then trying to find the millions of players.

Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 03:30:45 AM

(sub-question: Does it make a difference where they're hosted, ie. if they're hosted outside USA?)

Lastly, If an online game involving money and payouts requires skill more than luck, is it considered gambling? And is it illegal?

It depends on where you are located when accessing the website.

Internet gambling is illegal in the US.

There are many people who ignore these laws and gamble anyway.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 10:26:05 AM

To USA everything that doesnt involve giving the a part of the cake is illegal, or if its not, they will make it illegal.
So much about your "freedom"
nwfella
Legendary

Activity: 1582

Well hello there!

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 10:49:40 PM

If your going to try and run any kind of halfway successful gambling site and host it within the US and expect to not get noticed, or slip in under some more state-specific slightly more lenient terms...think again!  Your site generates enough revenue and it doesn't matter if your in the remotest out of the way place you can think of...they will find and tax the hell out of you.

¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=(•̪̀●́)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Gimme the crypto!!
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 01:38:26 AM

The risks are not very high for a user of a gambling site as it is unlikely that regulators will go after small users.

If a site does not have a written policy that people in the US cannot access/use their site then they are risking a lot.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 02:02:12 PM

Only in some states that have a specific state law saying that gambling is illegal.

As far as I know there is no federal law explicitly outlaw gambling online.
StockBet.com

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2014, 03:10:18 PM

To USA everything that doesnt involve giving the a part of the cake is illegal, or if its not, they will make it illegal.

Correct.

According to the Boston University Law Review, U.S. regulations pertaining to online gambling are about how much money the government can make or lose and blocking competition.  You, the consumer, are oppressed, as you have to pay higher prices (higher vigs and rake) and have less choices, when you have to buy from monopolies and oligopolies.

You can get full explanation at http://stockbet.com/#/support/gambling

Harley997

Activity: 266

View Profile
June 13, 2014, 11:52:18 PM

Only in some states that have a specific state law saying that gambling is illegal.

As far as I know there is no federal law explicitly outlaw gambling online.

I am pretty sure that there is something that prohibits gambling using interstate communications (the internet)

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
ShakyhandsBTCer

Activity: 448

It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin

View Profile
June 14, 2014, 01:44:31 AM

Correct.

According to the Boston University Law Review, U.S. regulations pertaining to online gambling are about how much money the government can make or lose and blocking competition.  You, the consumer, are oppressed, as you have to pay higher prices (higher vigs and rake) and have less choices, when you have to buy from monopolies and oligopolies.

You can get full explanation at http://stockbet.com/#/support/gambling

This is not necessarily true. If a casio can reach an economy of scale then they can charge less from consumers in the form of lower house take.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: