Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:58:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I run a full node. Is there a desktop client to connect to this full node?  (Read 193 times)
gge (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 21, 2018, 10:49:10 PM

I run a full node on my Raspberry Pi at home. I want a desktop wallet that uses this full node. Not interested in using remote-x or xpra or setting up an electrum server.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ncsupanda
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 01:03:16 AM

I run a full node on my Raspberry Pi at home. I want a desktop wallet that uses this full node. Not interested in using remote-x or xpra or setting up an electrum server.

I'm trying to understand what you mean - do you mean you want your Raspberry Pi to hold all of your blockchain data and your main desktop wallet connect to it (similar to your electrum server you mentioned)?
Maybe explain some more of your use cases and we can provide more information. Smiley
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6099

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 05:59:26 AM

The only desktop wallet that can do that is Copay I believe. You can run Bitcore.io node in Raspberry Pi and then connect it.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 10:18:57 AM

This mostly depends on the use case.

You can either

1) use core on your desktop PC and connect to your node (either exclusively / or additionally).
You can use one of the following two commands:
Code:
-addnode=<IP>
to additionally connect to your node, or the following to exclusively connect to your node:
Code:
-connect=<IP>

This still requires your PC to have the whole blockchain saved.

2) directly connect your raspberry PI with your PC and change the data directory of your PC's wallet to the data dir of the full node on the raspberry pi.
This makes it not necessary to have the whole blockchain downloaded on your desktop PC.

mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4917

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 10:21:30 AM

2) directly connect your raspberry PI with your PC and change the data directory of your PC's wallet to the data dir of the full node on the raspberry pi.
This makes it not necessary to have the whole blockchain downloaded on your desktop PC.

As far as i remember, this only works if the daemon on the rPi is no longer running... You can't run a daemon on the rPi and while it's running use the blockchain stored on the rPi for running an other daemon or a QT client.

OP... If you're comfortable using the cli, there is the option of just using json-rpc commands, altough i would recommand setting up an stunnel between your local machine and the rPi for encryption purposes Smiley.

To do this, first setup stunnel, then edit your bitcoin.conf to allow connections from your client machine and setup a strong user/pwd , then install bitcoin-cli on your client. Offcourse, you'll need to add the following parameters to each command you send: -rpcconnect=<ip>, -rpcport=<port>, -rpcuser=<user>, -rpcpassword=<pw>. You can also looking into rpcauth instead of rpcuser and rpcpassword...

I've had the same question a long time ago, and as far as i know, that's about the only way to do this using bitcoin core... I didn't find a way to run bitcoin-qt by connecting to the daemon on a secundary machine (and i did search for a sollution for quite a while)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
gge (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 10:42:45 PM

I'm trying to understand what you mean - do you mean you want your Raspberry Pi to hold all of your blockchain data and your main desktop wallet connect to it (similar to your electrum server you mentioned)?
Maybe explain some more of your use cases and we can provide more information. Smiley

Yes, except I don't have the resources to run an electrum server so I want to connect directly to the node on port 8333.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 06:55:28 AM

Armory.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: