Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:54:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Merit notification tab idea?  (Read 179 times)
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 02:05:12 AM
Merited by EthanB (2), The Sceptical Chymist (1)

I was wondering on the general community idea and requesting if the admin (theymos) could make a tab a bit like the messages one called "merit" and every time someone sends someone else sMerit, the sender gets a notification. Mainly for if newer members get a notification when they make constructive/good quality posts then they'll continue to do so. At the moment, you have to check the side of your profile on a post to check merit whenever a new merit is received and a tab that shows when you get a new merit looks like it'd be a better idea for notification purposes.

Working like the messages part. If user A sends any amount of sMerit to user B, user B has a merit tab that reads merit [1].

PS. Let me know if this is a duplicate or if anything needs elaborating more.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wheelige

Activity: 238
Merit: 68

Do good things

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 02:33:56 AM

I can get behind this in general. It would not be out of place in the section that says "show recent unread posts since last vist' and could say 'Show merited posts (x) since last visit'.

This could also be a good idea for highly merited posts. Show which ones have received 50+ merit so that people understand what kind of posts attract that level of attention (this may also lead to further meriting, but thats not a bad thing is it?). There are already threads that have leader boards for merited users and I have enjoyed going through some of their posts and learning from what they have offered, though most of the technical stuff goes straight over my head.

║║║║║║║║█║███║███║███║█║█║█║║███║█║█║║██    POPULOUS WORLD'S [GOLD POKEN]
║║║║║║║║█║███║█║█║███║█║█║█║║█║█║█║█║║█      GOLD BACKED ERC1155 TOKEN | RECEIVE 9% DISCOUNT | BUY NOW
║║║║║║║║█║█║║║███║█║║║███║██║███║███║██      HOMEPAGE | TWITTER | TELEGRAM | LINKEDIN | SLACK | GITHUB | YOUTUBE
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 02:35:54 AM
Merited by EthanB (1)

This could also be a good idea for highly merited posts. Show which ones have received 50+ merit so that people understand what kind of posts attract that level of attention (this may also lead to further meriting, but thats not a bad thing is it?). There are already threads that have leader boards for merited users and I have enjoyed going through some of their posts and learning from what they have offered, though most of the technical stuff goes straight over my head.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats=toptopicsat
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats=toprepliesat

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 02:59:42 AM

I like this idea; might be redundant for me to say it, because I've already merited the OP.

I don't like checking my merit tab and realizing that someone has merited me and it causes a whole investigation; not that it is the end of the world, but if PMs lacked a notification similarly I would be checking them in a much different manner. Notifications would give that little dopamine kick every time it pops up, positive reinforcement and what not.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 3073

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 03:02:27 AM

I like this idea; might be redundant for me to say it, because I've already merited the OP.

I don't like checking my merit tab and realizing that someone has merited me and it causes a whole investigation; not that it is the end of the world, but if PMs lacked a notification similarly I would be checking them in a much different manner. Notifications would give that little dopamine kick every time it pops up, positive reinforcement and what not.

Personal Messages (PMs) were created to be read - we SHOULD have notification.

Personally, I don't want a pop up every time I get merit.  Try not caring if you receive merit and things will take care of themselves.  Smiley

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
EthanB

Activity: 462
Merit: 336

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 03:18:50 AM

Personally, I don't want a pop up every time I get merit.  Try not caring if you receive merit and things will take care of themselves.  Smiley

I don't get a pop-up every time I get a PM, I get a cute little [1] Next to "My Messages" (unless that's what you meant); it is very subtle, non-intrusive and let's me know that someone directly interacted with me (or my post, in this instance).

I'm not worried about merit, but when I receive merit I am interested in knowing why or where.

It would seem our merit should be read as well, or would you think it better to ignore completely? Might be nice to use it as a direction, or to at least assist one's aims while operating on the forum, moving forward.
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 12:19:33 PM
Merited by EthanB (1)

~snip~

Personally, I don't want a pop up every time I get merit.  Try not caring if you receive merit and things will take care of themselves.  Smiley

In that sort of idea, we shouldn't have the merit system at all.

An optional tab maybe, near "My Messages" activated by default would give newer users a chance to notice a good post and older ones a nice rush when they find appreciation in their continuing post quality - obviously for some it's impractical if you get hundreds of merits that go unchecked.

Currently, when I get meritied, I have to click the link and try working out my most recent merit based on the time the merit was given - instead of getting notified of it.
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1587

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 01:27:24 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2018, 01:47:19 PM by paxmao

I can get behind this in general. It would not be out of place in the section that says "show recent unread posts since last vist' and could say 'Show merited posts (x) since last visit'.

My preferred option would be a "recently merited" that would allow me to see all the recently merited posts from anyone so I could read the best posts out there first.

This would also be useful to detect abuses, as people would read merited posts and complaint about the ones that are of insufficient quality, so there would be some built-in public surveillance.

Personally, I don't need to be notified when I get merit, but that's just me. if I had to be notified, a PM would be fine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: