Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:33:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hash/Share question  (Read 2883 times)
Tx2000 (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 10:18:10 PM

I've been monitoring my hashing and shares more closely and it sort of dawned on me that Mhash does not necessarily translate into a share.  More clearly, X Mhash does not guarantee Y amount of shares within Z amount of time.  Is this correct?

example only: 100Mhash equals 1 share every second.  So 1 minute would always yield 60 shares

I've noticed some rounds, let's say under 2 minutes, I was not able to able to get any shares submitted.  But another, under 1 minute, I was able to get 6 shares submitted.

According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nebiki

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 10:59:58 PM

it's not correct. 1 share = a hash which would have generated a block if difficulty were 1. that's where your variance comes from, too. someone here (search "pool mathematics" or something) calculated the rate to be around 71.5 mhash/s for 1 share/min.

edit: i've had a nice table which showed my expected shares and actual earned shares using this conversion rate. it was about the same (>98% after 2 days). i did this to monitor the pool uptime.

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀
▀▀█████████
██████████████████
█████████▀▀
▀████████████████████████████████▀

▀███████████████████████████▀

▀██
█████ ███    ███ ███████▀
▀▀███   ██    ██   ███▀▀
5 0 1 , 6 5 2 %   A P Y
|    TWITTER    |   TELEGRAM   |    DISCORD    |
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
JOIN NOW
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
pilardi

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 18, 2011, 11:16:59 PM

I've been monitoring my hashing and shares more closely and it sort of dawned on me that Mhash does not necessarily translate into a share.  More clearly, X Mhash does not guarantee Y amount of shares within Z amount of time.  Is this correct?

example only: 100Mhash equals 1 share every second.  So 1 minute would always yield 60 shares

I've noticed some rounds, let's say under 2 minutes, I was not able to able to get any shares submitted.  But another, under 1 minute, I was able to get 6 shares submitted.

It takes on average 2^32 hashes to get a share.  So it takes roughly 10 seconds to generate a share on a 6970 (420MH/s).  This is a random process, so it will vary, but over the long term, it should average to 2^32 hashes per share.  So it would take about 4.2GH/s to average 60 shares per minute.

It will take on average "difficulty" number of shares to generate a block.

See this for more:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Difficulty#How_soon_might_I_expect_to_generate_a_block.3F
nebiki

Activity: 742
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 12:37:21 AM

It takes on average 2^32 hashes to get a share.  So it takes roughly 10 seconds to generate a share on a 6970 (420MH/s).  This is a random process, so it will vary, but over the long term, it should average to 2^32 hashes per share.  So it would take about 4.2GH/s to average 60 shares per minute.

It will take on average "difficulty" number of shares to generate a block.

See this for more:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Difficulty#How_soon_might_I_expect_to_generate_a_block.3F

i won't answer anything anymore. some random people keep popping up and say the exact same thing. that's boring

THE BEST IN SPACE
AUTO-COMPOUNDING DEFI 3.0
PROTOCOL ON BSC
▀█▄▄▄                                                                      ▄▄▄█▀
▀██
████▄▄▄                                                          ▄▄▄██████▀
▀▀███
██████▄▄▄                                              ▄▄▄█████████▀▀
▀▀████
████████▄▄▄                                ▄▄▄████████████▀▀
▀████████████████▄ ▄▄                  ▄▄ ▄████████████████▀
████████████████████▄▄          ▄▄████████████████████
▀█████████████████████        █████████████████████▀
▀████
███████████████▌      ▐███████████████
████▀