Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:41:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BestBuy not selling some GPUs due to Bitcoin crypto mining?  (Read 132 times)
sencix (OP)

Activity: 96
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:08:57 PM

So here’s something new that happened to me today. I walked inside the BestBuy to ask for one of the 1080Ti GPU and the guy came to me and said, “we’re not allowed to sell any of them until we figure out how to stop crypto currency mining”.

What is up with them and how are they planning to stop this? Anyone else ran into this issue?

Send some woofs to SHIB: 0x6424EC98204dCaB6D73Dbf49156656abCd858bAc Cheesy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:16:34 PM

Honestly I don't believe they can stop it, they should be happy for people buying from them as it brings easy profit. There is shortage of graphics cards in my country and in many others due to mining but of course because of AI , specifically deep learning being one of the mostly used areas there.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:24:01 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2018, 09:35:42 PM by European Central Bank

it sounds like one moron rather than company policy. so bestbuy is going to singlehandedly stop crypto mining? that's an impressive task for anyone, even including a middling electronics retailer.

they must be mining themselves then if they're refusing to sell to the public. it's an interesting strategy to buy in millions of dollars of graphics cards and the refuse to sell them to you. selling is kinda their job.
beskid

Activity: 252
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:34:35 PM

Maybe the seller did not correctly voice information to you. If this is true, then this is a new joke) In my country, BestBuy stores sell GPU without any questions! I would recommend that you clarify once again what the seller meant.
sencix (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:35:29 PM

Well I left empty handed and told him I’ll use eBay or Amazon.
And just so people know which store this was, it’s the one in Erie, PA on Peach St.

andrew1carlssin

Activity: 168
Merit: 3

#Please, read:Daniel Ellsberg,-The Doomsday *wk

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 09:41:32 PM

as far as I can see GTX 1080 TI is the best option ...

does any one have metrics on (software dev otmizations) and (manufacturing hardware cost) and (market adoption) ?

Satoshi's book editor; SCIpher - https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/archive/scigen/scipher.html
stronghands4lyfe

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

The revolutionary trading ecosystem

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 09:48:42 PM

it sounds like one moron rather than company policy. so bestbuy is going to singlehandedly stop crypto mining? that's an impressive task for anyone, even including a middling electronics retailer.

they must be mining themselves then if they're refusing to sell to the public. it's an interesting strategy to buy in millions of dollars of graphics cards and the refuse to sell them to you. selling is kinda their job.

True that it is, but if they stand to make more money mining and keeping the pools lessened then I too would suck up all the resources and not sell that product. Super bizarre though regardless, but laughable at the same time considering they will have a net zero effect on mining Cheesy.

European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:53:29 PM

and why are they denying 1080s? 1070s returns are possibly better as they cost that much less. they're a lot harder to find. i was in the market for a graphics card recently and went for a 1080ti mainly because 1070s were non existent.
eaLiTy

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911

Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:53:56 PM

So here’s something new that happened to me today. I walked inside the BestBuy to ask for one of the 1080Ti GPU and the guy came to me and said, “we’re not allowed to sell any of them until we figure out how to stop crypto currency mining”.

What is up with them and how are they planning to stop this? Anyone else ran into this issue?
It looks really funny,the only possibility is that they do not have the stock and nothing else and it is known that it is really difficult to get some models in the market as they are used in mining and hence he might have said because you were asking for a specific model,the graphic card companies are manufacturing these cards to sell and not to hold back. Tongue
sencix (OP)

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 09:58:20 PM

It looks really funny,the only possibility is that they do not have the stock and nothing else and it is known that it is really difficult to get some models in the market as they are used in mining and hence he might have said because you were asking for a specific model,the graphic card companies are manufacturing these cards to sell and not to hold back. Tongue

Right, I was asking for a specific model, and his words were that they are not allowed to sell it until they figure out a way to stop crypto mining  Grin

DesmondHayes

Activity: 182
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 10:17:47 PM

Right, I was asking for a specific model, and his words were that they are not allowed to sell it until they figure out a way to stop crypto mining  Grin

The real reason behind the denial of your request for the graphic card is probably the shortage of the same. This specific store maybe didn't had the requested graphic card(1080Ti GPU) and seller probably made some kind of joke that is only known to him. This past couple of months the prices of the graphic cards have gotten above average and every store is actually very happy because of the current situation. Their profits are huge right now.

This certain seller that was administrated with the sale of the graphic cards in the time of your arriving at the store was maybe angry with the huge demand of the graphic cards and also angry at the miners (one of the speculated reason may be that he hasn't start mining when the time was right and now is very angry at every successful miner which is mining properly). There are a couple of reasons why you did get that strange answer but bear in mind that the policy of best buy is not the rejection of the buyers. They are very pleased with this current situations that will last ( for how long I don't know).

Try to come another day when the other seller will work there and ask the same question. Maybe you will hear the different answer and maybe the desired GPU will be available this time.

CONTRACTNET     |     At the intersection of Blockchain, IOT & SMART CONTRACTS             
|     WHITEPAPER     |     TWITTER     |      TELEGRAM     
████████████████████████  [  JOIN ICO   ●   10th MARCH  ] ████████████████████████
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: