Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:22:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LN & Segwit : Influence, influence and who will rule in the future  (Read 154 times)
hugeblack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3633

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2018, 11:47:07 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2019, 09:03:45 PM by hugeblack
Merited by aintnopassincraze (1)

Lightning Network (LN) and Segwit are separate protocols.

Lightning Network utilizes time lock contracts inside of multisig wallets to allow multiple tx's for 1 tx fee.

Segwit fixes a tiny bug called "transaction malleability" and unintentionally increased the # of tx's a bitcoin block could load into it as well.[1]

Do you think the Segwit protocol is it enough to ensure cheap transactions in the future?Or do we need more "LN"?
we notice how the mempool is completely empty after using the Segwit, So how  it will be after apply LN?
Do you think the Segwit transactions will be deactivated in the future?

Source:#1 https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinBeginners/comments/7z2qu8/are_segwit_and_lightning_mutually_exclusive_or/

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aintnopassincraze

Activity: 233
Merit: 106

The Operating System for DAOs

View Profile
February 22, 2018, 11:53:37 PM

I will try my best but my knowledge is limited on the matter. As far as I understand it Segwit and LN will be on two different chains and unless Segwit is always in every transaction regardless of LN or not which I don't know. However, when LN gets activated I believe that the mempool will be next to always empty, not right away but once adoption picks up like Segwit taking 6 months. Lastly, I am not sure about if they will be deactivated or not that is beyond my understanding on this matter, but would be curious to read more developed opinions Smiley

zenrol28
Copper Member

Activity: 854
Merit: 110

Give Hope For Everyone!

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2018, 12:30:55 AM

I think segwit is a prerequisite to make LN a success. Maybe it's like this: segwit was made for like person to person, person to exchange or person to service, something which involved a single transaction. While LN covers wider range like an exchange sending to all traders that makes a withdrawal request, like a company that will send salaries to employees. So they are both needed and neither segwit nor LN be deactivated in the future.

Wheelige

Activity: 238
Merit: 68

Do good things

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 12:50:13 AM

I think segwit is a prerequisite to make LN a success. Maybe it's like this: segwit was made for like person to person, person to exchange or person to service, something which involved a single transaction. While LN covers wider range like an exchange sending to all traders that makes a withdrawal request, like a company that will send salaries to employees. So they are both needed and neither segwit nor LN be deactivated in the future.

Are you able to elaborate on why you think segwit is a prerequisite for LN success? Is that because it will limit the cost of the required transaction to open the channel for the LN? Is it because they both offer different solutions and will work well in tandem, covering both single and multiple transactions between sources?

║║║║║║║║█║███║███║███║█║█║█║║███║█║█║║██    POPULOUS WORLD'S [GOLD POKEN]
║║║║║║║║█║███║█║█║███║█║█║█║║█║█║█║█║║█      GOLD BACKED ERC1155 TOKEN | RECEIVE 9% DISCOUNT | BUY NOW
║║║║║║║║█║█║║║███║█║║║███║██║███║███║██      HOMEPAGE | TWITTER | TELEGRAM | LINKEDIN | SLACK | GITHUB | YOUTUBE
zenrol28
Copper Member

Activity: 854
Merit: 110

Give Hope For Everyone!

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2018, 03:55:10 AM

Are you able to elaborate on why you think segwit is a prerequisite for LN success? Is that because it will limit the cost of the required transaction to open the channel for the LN? Is it because they both offer different solutions and will work well in tandem, covering both single and multiple transactions between sources?

Think of it like in a country. If you plan something big you must start small. Solve these small problems first and little by little it'll be a lot easier to solve the major problems. I'm very sorry if I can't explain it so well. Maybe I'm stupid.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: