Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:24:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How I fucked up and turned ~600 BTC into 200 BTC  (Read 792 times)
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 10:30:44 PM

Well, you're up in USD.  Cheesy Cheesy

Always look on the bright side of life.

ovcijisir

Activity: 1493
Merit: 333

🐪

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2018, 10:37:58 PM

--
Choose the 10 most promising of them and keep, the growth will be in the spring! You did not lose anything until you fixed a loss

Yes, you haven't lost anything until you sell your coint to fiat. Just hodl a little more and maybe you will return your investment with nice returns at the end. Just hope you haven't invested the money you needed for living.

eaLiTy

Activity: 2814
Merit: 911

Have Fun )@@( Stay Safe

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 11:03:27 PM

This is a thread started in reddit six months back and looks like you have copied the entire content here,first thing you have to understand is that,there is a time difference of six months and still you are posting the same amount as loss  Tongue,i am sure you will get a ban for copy pasting contents,either way the only thing you can do with these sort of investment is to hold the coin for a long time,till you end up in a profit.
balrog

Activity: 448
Merit: 37

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2018, 11:39:09 PM

I dont know is it true story or not , but I believe there are A LOT of similar stories about unlucky crypto investors and I really can feel their pain , which they felt loosing 4 mln usd... damn , I guess it is really hard to accept such a grandiose failure .
Megashaw

Activity: 168
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 12:02:34 AM

One of the problem the cryptoworld is facing is weak hands and people focusing on the present and dont see the future.
Look beyond now
Hodl those coins
Check later by december if you are not worth over 600btc you claimed u have before trading alts.
Look into the future my friend
beerlover
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 1160

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 06:50:08 AM

You really did fucked up hard, and i know you have learned your lessons,you just need to get some time to review each coins you wanted to invest in because most of your coins are shitcoins,im pretty sure you didnt do some research firsdt,the first thing you need to know is Bitcoin's price would dictate all the altcoin's faith that is why we need to stick with bitcoin if you want to be safe with the high volatility,70% of my portfolio is in bitcoin 30% is in the altcoins,if you really are a good trader you can make atleast 10-15% daily average gains from the altcoins.

200 btc is still huge amount i am sure you will still recover from your losses,always do a lot of research so you wont be fucked up with these shitcoins.
Yeah, very badly and I am sure he must have learnt his lessons by now. It is not a new story, this was on reddit like six months ago, and the OP should have at least quoted the original author.

It is however good to have it on this thread in this kind of period when newbies have a lot to learn and not just opt into trading because of greed but rather learn first before even trying anything. Not sure what the person eventually did, but if he held those coins back then, he should have gotten huge profit on most of them when the altcoins rallied recently.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
yacare

Activity: 1260
Merit: 500

In CryptoEnergy we trust

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 11:45:29 AM

Yes of course it is very sad that the sum has so decreased, but 200 bitcoin it still much. It is necessary to study and make the portfolio much stronger. Even if there is a decrease in the market, then to wait long, several months are possible. You had 200 bitcoin, but he has grown up several times in $ for 2017. Besides I would advise 30% of your investments to keep in bitcoin

k-west

Activity: 336
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 27, 2018, 12:08:23 PM

You are a rich man if you can easly invest so much money in crypto.I believe you didn't invest all that you had,most likely 5-10 % of your funds,so you're still having a  couple dozen millions bucks and you'll be fine Smiley Just learn this lesson and don't do like this anymore.
aencarnaci

Activity: 448
Merit: 281

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 02:31:25 PM

Before I tell you how I fucked up, let me just say I am very aware of just how many newbie mistakes I made and how stupid I was. By all means, please feel free to laugh at my disgusting choices... the least my stupidity can do is serve as humor.

Back in May/June, I bought around 600 Bitcoin at around 2700 USD. I'll let you do the math on how much that cost me. But I believed in Bitcoin. The original plan was just to hold them forever. I was pretty convinced Bitcoin was going to go to $10K by 2018. Had I just left the Bitcoins in my wallet and done nothing, I would be pretty happy right now at $4000 per coin.

But no. I decided to try my hand at trading altcoins. I started off with Siacoin (this was back when there was hype around Siacoin).

Put in 10 bitcoins into Sia, at 450 satoshis... Next day, Siacoin went up to 600 satoshis. I was like "Cool, this is easy, I just made a couple thousand dollars in a day."

Next day I put in 20 Bitcoins into Antshares (now re-branded as NEO). Three days later, it went up as well. "Cool, I just made 10 grand in three days! All I have to do is buy altcoins low and sell high. So easy. As long as I HODL and don't sell in panic and just wait it out until it rises, everything should be fine."

You can guess where this story is heading... there's no happy endings here.

Basically, over the course of June, I invested pretty much ALL of my Bitcoins into alts, thinking they were going to keep going up and up. It was pure greed. Of course I should've just kept it in Bitcoin. Of course I should've done my research on some of these altcoins. Of course I should've not bought it at the very fucking peak before all the altcoins crashed.

Curious to see how badly I fucked up?

Here's a list = all the altcoins I bought, how much BTC I spent on them, and how much BTC they're worth now. Feel free to roast me, cause you could not get more stupid than this (especially putting that much money and faith into some of these altcoins).

Siacoin = 246.82 BTC → 72.94 (minus 70%)
CloakCoin = 139.27 BTC → 41.59 (minus 70%)
Factom = 120.72 BTC → 44.17 BTC (minus 63%)
Monero = 18.76 BTC → 12.96 BTC (minus 31%)
BitShares = 13.18 BTC → 4.54 BTC (minus 66%)
Crown = 10.26 → 4.05 BTC (minus 61%)
ZCash = 9.77 BTC → 4.13 BTC (minus 58%)
Golem = 9.13 BTC → 2.7 BTC (minus 70%)
GameCredits = 8.49 BTC → 3.1 BTC (minus 63%)
LBRY Credits = 5.71 BTC → 2.55 BTC (minus 55%)
BitcoinDark = 5.03 BTC → 1.96 BTC (minus 61%)
Ripple = 4.98 BTC → 2.03 BTC (minus 59%)
EmerCoin = 4.76 BTC → 2.02 BTC (minus 57%)
Digibyte = 4.38 BTC → 1.55 BTC (minus 65%)
Waves = 4.05 BTC → 2.76 BTC (minus 31%)
Ubiq = 3.89 BTC → 1.74 BTC (minus 55%)
Vertcoin = 3.35 BTC → 1.2 BTC (minus 64%)
Lumen = 3.06 BTC → 0.95 BTC (minus 69%)
Stratis = 2.96 BTC → 1.78 BTC (minus 40%)
SysCoin = 2.76 BTC → 0.98 BTC (minus 64%)
Ethereum = 2.53 BTC → 1.43 BTC (minus 43%)
MaidSafeCoin = 1.94 BTC → 0.96 BTC (minus 50%)
Komodo = 1.93 BTC → 0.94 BTC (minus 51%)
Voxels = 1.35 BTC → 0.67 BTC (minus 50%)
NEM (XEM) = 1 BTC → 0.88 BTC (minus 12%)
BitCrystals = 1 BTC → 0.41 BTC (minus 58%)
Ardor = 1 BTC → 0.34 BTC (minus 65%)
Wings DAO = 0.25 BTC → 0.15 BTC (minus 37%)
Expanse = 0.14 BTC → 0.05 BTC (minus 60%)
Why didn't I put in any stop losses? Cause I was stupid. Why did I keep holding onto these coins despite the massive fall in value? Cause I believed they would eventually turn around.

Trust me, I ask myself every day how I could've made THIS many bad decisions at the same time.

I totally get you if you think I'm making up this story and how could anyone be stupid enough to spend 200 BTC on Siacoin. Pure greed. I thought Siacoin would keep going up, and I could make a quick profit.

The only mistake I haven't made is sold any of the coins at a loss. Even as I saw the altcoins go down, I convinced myself that all I needed to do was HODL.

I'm still holding. Still hoping that eventually some of these might go back up to the value they were before, and I can sell them off at break even.

Of course I'm tempted to sell them all. Take any BTC I can get for them. Maybe put it into NEO (that train already left though) or some other altcoin that I hope will blow up. But of course that too would be an impulsive mistake. I'm just scared shitless, so I hold. I've made every single mistake I could made, except selling at a loss.

"Just hold." everyone says. So I do. But the people who say "hold" usually didn't spend 600 BTC on altcoins and watched their portfolio go down to about 200 BTC.

By the way, I know that when you compare it to USD value, not all of these altcoins have dropped that much. But that's not what I look at. USD value is deceptive, cause BTC keeps going up.

What I care about is BTC value. I'd give anything to just have my 600 BTC back (which of course would now be worth way more than the $2700 per coin I spent on them).

I realize that the chances of these altcoins ever going back to the peak that we had in June / July are very slim... the more BTC keeps rising, the less satoshis each of these coins is worth. Trust me, I know how much I fucked up.

Anyway.... feel free to laugh at my stupidity.

I'm open to any suggestions as to what to do with my altcoins now, whether I should just sell them back and get ~200 BTC for them, or wait for some of these to turn around... I genuinely don't know how to make this any less of a fuck-up.

EDIT: To answer some questions that have popped up:

Some of you are having a hard time believing someone who has this type of money can lose it in such a stupid way. Earning money, keeping it, and growing it are different skills. I fucked up on the last two.

A few of you asked how I bought 600 Bitcoins all at once. I used an OTC called Genesis Trading. Minimum buy order is 25K. You negotiate a bid, then you wire them the money, and they send the BTC to your wallet.

I don't have any NEO. I sold it when it got to break even, and then it exploded to current levels. So not only did I fuck up by investing in alts that went down, the one single coin that went up, I sold before it exploded.

I will reply to comments. I'm just catching up and reading everything that everyone posted and taking it all in.

Thank you to everyone who replied.
Wow! That is a whole lot to take in at once! You really fucked up just like you have said, but nothing is gone yet. Like someone has rightly said, it is either you wait if you do not have anything to do with the cash for now, and then monitor them to see how they turn out as they will still recover even though it ends up taking some time. I have been there once, and I did not regret waiting as they even ended up surpassing my imagination when they got pumped.
ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 06:40:05 PM

Nonsenses some!
600 bitokonov - it's more than 1.5 million dollars!
If people have that kind of money, they are unlikely to be sitting on the forums.

The author has stolen someone else's text.
You can't do it this way!
And what if he did not ? It is an interesting post anyway and a lot of people have made a huge mistake like this in their journey of trading which I am not exempting myself. The most important thing here is to learn from them and like some have rightly said, take some chill pill and watch them grow back in no time. You have to understand the volatility of the market and if you cannot trade, just hold.
xanaxxx

Activity: 280
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 06:42:33 PM

Before I tell you how I fucked up, let me just say I am very aware of just how many newbie mistakes I made and how stupid I was. By all means, please feel free to laugh at my disgusting choices... the least my stupidity can do is serve as humor.

Back in May/June, I bought around 600 Bitcoin at around 2700 USD. I'll let you do the math on how much that cost me. But I believed in Bitcoin. The original plan was just to hold them forever. I was pretty convinced Bitcoin was going to go to $10K by 2018. Had I just left the Bitcoins in my wallet and done nothing, I would be pretty happy right now at $4000 per coin.

But no. I decided to try my hand at trading altcoins. I started off with Siacoin (this was back when there was hype around Siacoin).

Put in 10 bitcoins into Sia, at 450 satoshis... Next day, Siacoin went up to 600 satoshis. I was like "Cool, this is easy, I just made a couple thousand dollars in a day."

Next day I put in 20 Bitcoins into Antshares (now re-branded as NEO). Three days later, it went up as well. "Cool, I just made 10 grand in three days! All I have to do is buy altcoins low and sell high. So easy. As long as I HODL and don't sell in panic and just wait it out until it rises, everything should be fine."

Basically, over the course of June, I invested pretty much ALL of my Bitcoins into alts, thinking they were going to keep going up and up. It was pure greed. Of course I should've just kept it in Bitcoin. Of course I should've done my research on some of these altcoins. Of course I should've not bought it at the very fucking peak before all the altcoins crashed.

Here's a list = all the altcoins I bought, how much BTC I spent on them, and how much BTC they're worth now. Feel free to roast me, cause you could not get more stupid than this (especially putting that much money and faith into some of these altcoins).

Why didn't I put in any stop losses? Cause I was stupid. Why did I keep holding onto these coins despite the massive fall in value? Cause I believed they would eventually turn around.

Trust me, I ask myself every day how I could've made THIS many bad decisions at the same time.

I totally get you if you think I'm making up this story and how could anyone be stupid enough to spend 200 BTC on Siacoin. Pure greed. I thought Siacoin would keep going up, and I could make a quick profit.

The only mistake I haven't made is sold any of the coins at a loss. Even as I saw the altcoins go down, I convinced myself that all I needed to do was HODL.

I'm still holding. Still hoping that eventually some of these might go back up to the value they were before, and I can sell them off at break even.

Of course I'm tempted to sell them all. Take any BTC I can get for them. Maybe put it into NEO (that train already left though) or some other altcoin that I hope will blow up. But of course that too would be an impulsive mistake. I'm just scared shitless, so I hold. I've made every single mistake I could made, except selling at a loss.

"Just hold." everyone says. So I do. But the people who say "hold" usually didn't spend 600 BTC on altcoins and watched their portfolio go down to about 200 BTC.

By the way, I know that when you compare it to USD value, not all of these altcoins have dropped that much. But that's not what I look at. USD value is deceptive, cause BTC keeps going up.

What I care about is BTC value. I'd give anything to just have my 600 BTC back (which of course would now be worth way more than the $2700 per coin I spent on them).

I realize that the chances of these altcoins ever going back to the peak that we had in June / July are very slim... the more BTC keeps rising, the less satoshis each of these coins is worth. Trust me, I know how much I fucked up.

I'm open to any suggestions as to what to do with my altcoins now, whether I should just sell them back and get ~200 BTC for them, or wait for some of these to turn around... I genuinely don't know how to make this any less of a fuck-up.

Some of you are having a hard time believing someone who has this type of money can lose it in such a stupid way. Earning money, keeping it, and growing it are different skills. I fucked up on the last two.

A few of you asked how I bought 600 Bitcoins all at once. I used an OTC called Genesis Trading. Minimum buy order is 25K. You negotiate a bid, then you wire them the money, and they send the BTC to your wallet.

I don't have any NEO. I sold it when it got to break even, and then it exploded to current levels. So not only did I fuck up by investing in alts that went down, the one single coin that went up, I sold before it exploded.

I will reply to comments. I'm just catching up and reading everything that everyone posted and taking it all in.

yes I know when your palms sweat to invest in some hot altcoin which eventually goes down and down which leads to you tilt investing in further crap ending in decent loss. Well the bottom line is that you still have good chunk of btc, don't need to worry, many people on this forum change with you Smiley
BitcoinTurk

Activity: 1624
Merit: 624

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 06:49:03 PM

What is hoped for and how to get out of the crypto money market is definitely an interpreter. It is certainly a matter for everyone to see, and it is very bad and sad for you that your investment has so fallen. I wish you had just hid the Bitcoins in your hand. At least you would have made some profit on dollar basis and you would not have regretted such a regret.
luongdk

Activity: 686
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 06:51:40 PM

ok i saw this post earlier. a brand new guy copy paste a thread just to get faster rank up?

no man not with us.

And as I see, people in this topic are reading this with open mouths and thin how it can be....
Seriously, you even didn't create your own, you just stole this words from another person here.
Not ashamed?
If not - tell us another story)))) how did you earn, or another words, did you get 600 BTC?)
I almost want to get inheritance from rich uncle Sam, as you) or how it was?)
peleng

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 07:08:45 PM

ok i saw this post earlier. a brand new guy copy paste a thread just to get faster rank up?

no man not with us.

And as I see, people in this topic are reading this with open mouths and thin how it can be....
Seriously, you even didn't create your own, you just stole this words from another person here.
Not ashamed?
If not - tell us another story)))) how did you earn, or another words, did you get 600 BTC?)
I almost want to get inheritance from rich uncle Sam, as you) or how it was?)
If this is true, then this money has got to the author of the story very easily, because one can not so recklessly dispose of such big money. Based on this story, you can even make a film, maybe Hollywood is already interested in this story.  Grin
HectorFabian

Activity: 138
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 08:51:40 PM

this post looks like you copied this from somewhere for attention
twingall1

Activity: 294
Merit: 4

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:43:09 PM

I like the idea of buying lots of Alts but always putting orders to sell  half on double, sell half on double.. This was you take profits back in btc along the crazy roller coaster journey.. I wonder how your account would have looked then? (Probably betting that HODLing Bitcoin would have still been most profitable, but at least by a smaller margin..)
JohnMacZeppelin

Activity: 602
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 02, 2018, 04:50:41 PM

It's terrible, but unfortunately no one is immune from this, so you need to be ready for it. All the same, sooner or later someone earns money, and someone on the contrary loses it, so there's nothing you can do about it
bit-freedom

Activity: 658
Merit: 256

View Profile
March 05, 2018, 03:47:29 PM

Is this a real story? I will give you benefit of doubt. I can feel the pain to lost 400 BTC, it is alot of money. As you know trading come with risks, so if the market go the other way round, you will be winning 400 BTC instead of losing. Hope you will be able to recover the losses soon. Good luck.
Considered

Activity: 504
Merit: 100