BTCANS.org - The Bitcoin Address Naming System
I've created a new site that provides a service similar to an address shortening system but with a few more features.
The concept is simple. First sign up for an account, select a simple, short account ID and post a bitcoin payment address to your account.
Anyone can query your payment address by entering http://q.btcans.org/[your user id]
into their browser.
I created this service for a few reasons. First, if you wanted to send a payment to someone you know, you can always find their most current payment address by querying their user ID. It's quick and easy.
Additionally, web sites that offer payouts can also cache user's BTCANS ID's. When it is time to send their users payouts they can requery the BTCANS to obtain their most recent addresses.
This also makes it easier for payment recipients. Recipients no longer have to worry about updating multiple web sites with new bitcoin payment addresses because payout sites that use the BTCANS will always have a way of obtaining a user's most current address. Quick Details
Web Site Owners
- Home - For more information.
- Create an Account - Start here if your are ready to use this service.
- Updating your address is instantaneous.
- Users can optionally enter Verification Text. When the BTCANS is queried, your payment address will be followed by a colon and your verification text. The Verification Text is not mandatory but is recommended and adds a simple layer of security, allowing you to verify that you have entered the correct BTCANS ID.
- The BTCANS is published to the Google App Engine for scalability and reliability.
- Web sites that would like to integrate user BTCAN IDs for future payments can do so free of charge and without worry that we will ever be charged. Querying the BTCANS will always be free.
- Referral System Added! (Jul-23-2011)
- If you have any questions, or run into any bugs, please send an email to email@example.com. I will respond as quickly as possible.
If you would like to start using the BTCANS, all you have to do is send a web request to the query address. The data outlined above is returned in a clear-text response and will always start with the user's bitcoin address. If there is verification text associated with the users account, it will appear after a colon following the bitcoin address.
If you have any suggestions or if you find any bugs in the application, please send an email to the contact address above. Also, feel free to post your questions here. I will responds as quickly as possible.
Also, spread the word to other bitcoin users and if you use any service that offers bitcoin payouts to begin using the BTCANS with their services.NEW REFERRAL SYSTEM
In the near future I am planning on offering merchant services. These services will allow merchants to acquire BTCANS IDs short term IDs that they can use for processing payments. Merchant services will not be free but will be reasonably priced. If you refer a merchant, referral payments will be automatically sent to your bitcoin payment address. Since the final details of the merchant system haven't been finalized, I can't explicitly outline the referral payout details. I can say that I am planning on being rather generous.
If you want to start referring members, you can use the referral link on your account page or just add the query string ?refid=your_id
to the end of any link to our site. Once the user creates an account, you will receive the referral bonus for any services they purchase.
Thanks community! I hope you all find the BTCANS to be considerably useful!