Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:52:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoind - create accounts via API  (Read 2696 times)
btc6000 (OP)

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2013, 07:31:23 AM

There are a number of bitcoind API commands referring to [account], but how do you create, update & delete named accounts using API?

Cheers

We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated, governments in the civilized world—no longer a government by free opinion, no longer a government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a government by the opinion and the duress of small groups of dominant men.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tgerring

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 12:43:27 PM

Code:
getnewaddress 	[account] 	Returns a new bitcoin address for receiving payments. If [account] is specified (recommended), it is added to the address book so payments received with the address will be credited to [account]. 
Code:
setaccount 	<bitcoinaddress> <account> 	Sets the account associated with the given address. Assigning address that is already assigned to the same account will create a new address associated with that account. 

And you don't "delete" addresses, they just sit unused

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Original_Bitcoin_client/API_calls_list

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 12:51:26 PM

You should read up about Bitcoin accounts before deciding whether you really want to use them.

Some things to know are that accounts != addresses (even though the API commands are likely to lead you to believe that they are), accounts can end up with negative balances, you can't send BTC "from" the address of an account and "moves" of BTC between accounts are internal wallet operations (i.e. nothing to do with the blockchain).

Also if you are using bitcoin-qt then you are going to end up with a lot of confusion between "accounts" and "labels".

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
tgerring

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2013, 12:58:49 PM

Shameless self-promotion, but this explains some of the reasons why developing against bitcoind can be such a pain.  http://www.ideaexcursion.com/2013/09/18/developing-against-bitcoind/

A couple of tips:

* Use listunspent, not getbalance
* Use Gavin's contrib/spendfrom script, never the `sendfrom` command

Hive, a beautiful wallet for Mac OS X, now available for testing. Follow the story here.
BitcoinKit.framework and Tor.framework, now available to iOS and Mac OS X developers
Tweeting at @hivewallet. Donations appreciated at 142m1MpXHhymF4aASiWwYohe1Y55v5BQwc
icedicedavid

Activity: 154

Ice-Dice.com | Massive Referral Bonus!

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2013, 11:26:10 PM

I create a new account for each users I accept deposit from with getaccountaddress

then I have a daemon that checks listaccounts for any deposits.

If deposit is found, I use move to transfer the balance to the "bank" account and credit the user.

Then the next time listaccounts is called, they will show up as 0.

All outgoing withdraw is sent via move from "bank" account to withdraw address.

Let me know if this helps.

knowitnothing

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 11:53:17 PM

I create a new account for each users I accept deposit from with getaccountaddress

That is not going to work well with thousands of accounts. Instead, properly use listsinceblock.

The reasoning for this is that making new accounts is something that happens very often, and you won't be receiving deposits from all them, so it makes little sense to use listaccounts for this task.
icedicedavid

Activity: 154

Ice-Dice.com | Massive Referral Bonus!

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 12:05:20 AM

That is not going to work well with thousands of accounts. Instead, properly use listsinceblock.

The reasoning for this is that making new accounts is something that happens very often, and you won't be receiving deposits from all them, so it makes little sense to use listaccounts for this task.

thats a good point actually, thanks!

tgerring

Hive/Ethereum

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 03:21:55 PM

If you're looking for accounts with deposits, `listunspent` works might fine too.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: