Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:17:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Stock Market Vs Crytocurrencies  (Read 312 times)
realsteve (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 07:12:48 PM

The U.S. stock market has been performing very well. At the same time, cryptocurrencies have been all over the place. I personally feel there is more risk right now with cryptos. I have been debating withdrawing some crypto and putting it in my stock portfolio. I understand the stock market can crash just as quickly and just as hard as the crypto markets, but I have tried to diversify to avoid substantial losses in either case. I am also looking at other places where I can invest.

I would like to get some opinions from others about this. These are some of the specific questions I have.

For those hodling cryptocurrencies, do you also have anything invested in stock? If so, how much do you have in stock vs. crypto as a percentage?
Do you participate in forex trading?
Do you own gold or other precious metals?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
allahabadi

Activity: 952
Merit: 166

View Profile
February 23, 2018, 09:02:34 PM

The U.S. stock market has been performing very well. At the same time, cryptocurrencies have been all over the place. I personally feel there is more risk right now with cryptos. I have been debating withdrawing some crypto and putting it in my stock portfolio. I understand the stock market can crash just as quickly and just as hard as the crypto markets, but I have tried to diversify to avoid substantial losses in either case. I am also looking at other places where I can invest.

I would like to get some opinions from others about this. These are some of the specific questions I have.

For those hodling cryptocurrencies, do you also have anything invested in stock? If so, how much do you have in stock vs. crypto as a percentage?

There is a risk appetite that everyone has, for me I only invest in cryptos that which I can afford to lose. For my pension and other things, I'd go the traditional route of mutual funds or govt. bonds.

The thing is that after investing enough into secured investments, you can go for small investments and capitalize those into reinvestments in cryptos. Don't go overboard.
AwpDragonPoor

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 10:56:15 AM

I feel like stock markets are stable, but also very slow. On the other hand, cryptocurrencies can go on a bull run, where coins go up 30, 40 times in value over a period over a couple of months. Cryptocurrencies are more volatile, where you can see 50% drops daily, but the market usually springs back very quickly. But as the saying goes, no risk, no reward, which is why i hold mostly crypto and only a few stocks.
preshpr1nce

Activity: 266
Merit: 60

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 12:17:31 PM

I would suggest if risk is a big concern just stick to BTC and keep away from the alts.
Even if this year is bad, 50% in BTC will be much easier than 50% on the stock market.

I wouldn't be putting life changing amounts in to crypto though, only you can judge your risk vs speed of returns
pvk444

Activity: 252
Merit: 47

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 12:50:15 PM

The reality at the current time is, that you can invest in the stock market ... but only make bets in cryptos.

Stocks are related to real assets of companies and their production capabilities. Equity, unless wiped out by leverage, is at least as valuable as the resources of the firm. The price of a stock is fundamentally driven by the assets in place and the future growth value.  The future growth value can be assessed with some medium level of accuracy, with the price variations being only a result of differing assumptions in a fairly narrow range.

Cryptos are very different. In particular, cryptos are still not materially connected to the real economy, and thus escape any attempt to do robust fundamental analysis. Crypto prices are determined by market sentiment at present, nothing else. If people would suddently stop believing in the potential of cryptos, the price could drop to 0 as there is nothing behind cryptos as collateral. This will remain the case, until cryptos become more integrated in the real economy.

So, if you want to invest your money, stay with stocks. If you want to take a gamble, cryptos are a good choice.
babygun

Activity: 2100
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 01:22:16 PM
Last edit: February 27, 2018, 03:23:26 PM by babygun

I have invested in stocks, gold and cryptos (only small amounts).
All investments carry risks, investing in cryptocurrencies the most due to the very volatile nature. But in fact it all depends on the timing, I bought some gold at an ATH, since then price is dropping... Nobody can really know what happens next.

Only invest money that you are willing to loose.
Sohelrana1122

Activity: 99
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 03:02:11 PM

I think stock market is better then cryptocurrency
because cryptocurrency have no safety.
many people lost there mony in cryptocurrency.
but stock market have safty and limited risk.
everyone realis what happen with his mony but if they investment in cryptocurrency they do not know what happen with him.
tora

Activity: 532
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 06:04:39 PM

Stock market is obviously more established and better known than cryptocurrency investment. As media spread news about crypto more investors will join. Cryptos are much more volatile than stocks.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 04:11:41 AM

I feel the best way to invest in any circumstance is to diversify as much as possible, and don't worry about keeping a certain percentage to keep you confident in your portfolio.  If you think there is more short term (6-12 months) potential for growth in anything, whether that is stocks, crypto, PMs, real estate, etc; then invest in those things.  If you are hesitant and not so sure of what cryptocurrencies will do and don't feel so confident in investing, then hold what you currently have and I would not recommend not cashing out to put more in your stock portfolio.  Just keep working and stash away as much value in other assets you feel more confident in... you should be fine that way in the long run.
bitmover
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 5917

bitcoindata.science

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2018, 12:48:05 PM

A diversified portfolio is critical for responsible financial growth. Remember it is not just diversifying in the sense you hold stocks, bonds, crypto and physical assets but rather a few other considerations.

1. Do you hold a geographical mix (ie were the UK economy to be destroyed overnight would that be 10% or 90% of your portfolio)
2. Are you hedging your risk relative to your risk appetite (ie do you invest in US large cap, bonds and treasury and gold (safer) or do you invest in tech, startups and crypto (more risky))
3. What are your goals from your investments? Passive income or building a nest egg.

With that answered you may be able to, in turn, answer your own questions regarding the Stock Market vs Crypto. I think a sizeable allocation of Crypto within a risk-forward portfolio is perfectly acceptable.

This is very important, especially the geographical mix.

I live in a development country where we don´t have access to world misc ETFs or any other country ETF in our common stock market.
Cryptocurrency is the easiest way here to invest somewhere else.

Only with higher amounts of money we are able to invest in other countries. Even thou it´s not a common practice here, even among well instructed people =/
LaLuna

Activity: 259
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 28, 2018, 03:42:41 PM

Hey guys! Join Zen Protocol's telegram group and get the latest updates about their public blockchain project focused on building a decentralized financial system.

https://t.me/zenprotocol
lili song

Activity: 980
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 03, 2018, 04:01:30 PM

Stock market have a big risk, but in cryptocurrencies is low risk. Because cryptocurrenct not stable yet, so the value increase fast than the others.
For me I will invest in cryptocurrencies first for long term investment. After that, I choose stock market for short term investment and if money not a problem. I do invest in gold also, but the value very slow increase.
bitmover
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 5917

bitcoindata.science

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2018, 06:03:09 PM

Stock market have a big risk, but in cryptocurrencies is low risk. Because cryptocurrenct not stable yet, so the value increase fast than the others.
For me I will invest in cryptocurrencies first for long term investment. After that, I choose stock market for short term investment and if money not a problem. I do invest in gold also, but the value very slow increase.

Please don't spread this misinformation, this is not correct.
Stockmarket have much lesser risk and are far more stable. Bitcoin can go to zero anytime, stockmarket won't.

Most cryptocurrencies are 70% down from ATH that was 1-2 months ago. People are having huge losses.
Tradition stockmarkets like SP500 are going 15-20% each year, in long term are performing very well.

You just need knowledge to invest in both markets. But cryptocurrencies are way more risky, no doubt that.

In crypto, only invest what you can lose. This is a rule here.

In Stockmarkets ETF people invest theirs life savings, and it's ok.
stantpro

Activity: 280
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 10, 2018, 02:40:27 PM

The advice is diversify!Both crypto and stock investment should be subscribed
so we do not put our eggs in one basket.Studying researching the best crypto coins
and stocks is ideal for an investor.We cannot throw away stock market investment due to the advent of
crypto currency.Rather, we should leverage on the two and make better profits out of both.All it takes is
calculated risk.As we speak, bitcoin is already registered in California stock exchange.This means that those
who trade stock can equally trade bitcoin in the same vein.So, its just all about mindset.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: