Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:23:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin ticker widget  (Read 4338 times)
ofirbeigel (OP)

Activity: 257
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2013, 07:01:13 AM

So after creating my Bitcoin website I've searched the web for a WordPress Bitcoin widget that gives me the latest Bitcoin prices with a praph representation. Of course I didn't find any widget like this so I decided to create one of my own. So I'm proud to present to you my Bitcoin widget (http://wordpress.org/plugins/bitcoin-ticker-widget/) - It will give you the latest prices from 3 major exchanges (MtGox, BTCe and BitStamp) and also give you a graph representation of the last 24 hours of Bitcoin prices.

If things don't work, or you have ideas on how to make it better let me know.

99Bitcoins - We translate Bitcoin into plain English.

Bitrated user: ofir.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
xray

Activity: 341
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 07:08:47 AM

My people that use bitcoin don't install unkown programs on there pc because of security of there wallet.
I for one keep away from exe or installs on my bitcoin pc
kuzetsa

Activity: 369

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 08:59:16 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2013, 09:15:43 AM by kuzetsa

My people that use bitcoin don't install unkown programs on there pc because of security of there wallet.

Fortunately, this doesn't get installed to your computer (exe file or otherwise)

The download itself is just what it says in the original post:

"a WordPress Bitcoin widget"

Emphasis on "WordPress" so like... it's this:

To run WordPress your host just needs a couple of things:
  • PHP version 5.2.4 or greater
  • MySQL version 5.0 or greater

In other words, this thing goes on servers, not your home PC which is probably windows based & doesn't have a built-in web server capable of running the WordPress PHP plugin anyway... It's a wordpress plugin, so use of this plugin is by its very nature cloud-hosted, and not going to steal your bitcoin wallet or put a virus on your computer any more than using your browser to visit some random person's blog.

Good advice though (not relevant in this case)

... Don't install random exe files (again, the thing referenced in the original post IS NOT an exe file)

Edited to add:

After a quick review of the source code to this wordpress widget plugin thingy....

The code in the widget appears to do exactly what was said:

Dynamically pulls ticker data from a few exchanges (not just mtgox) and then displays it as a layout widget in your blog or other site running WordPress open-source content management engine... It looked safe, and it looks like the author reused portions of open-source code released under MIT license...

It's a good thing when someone uses open source code instead of writing the whole thing from scratch. Open Source means less chance for accidental security flaws and buggy screw-ups, or outright doing something malicious, etc. etc. etc.
Anon135246

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 09:02:29 AM

You should make this into an app.
Reaper3

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 09:14:42 AM

This indeed, dont risk your coins

CHANGE FINANCE First Decentralised Global Crypto Bank
[color=#15B5E2 ]LINK TO ICO | LINK TO DISCUSSION
kuzetsa

Activity: 369

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 09:24:48 AM

What?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Could someone explain this to me?

Reaper3

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 01:03:06 PM

What?

Why would you risk downloading a potential virus if you own BTC?

CHANGE FINANCE First Decentralised Global Crypto Bank
[color=#15B5E2 ]LINK TO ICO | LINK TO DISCUSSION
Mooshire

Activity: 322

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 01:14:03 PM

What?

Why would you risk downloading a potential virus if you own BTC?

Ftlog, it's a wordpress plugin. Not an exe. It can't steal the bitcoins on your PC.

ofirbeigel (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2013, 11:14:46 AM

If you don't use WordPress then this is not for you. As stated before, this is an open source plugin for websites. If this still sounds like Jibberish then it's probably not for you Smiley

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2014, 10:35:14 PM

Why is the trading data from btc-china so inconsistent? I thought they have times when they dont trade and thats the reason for the missing data but it seems they trade all the time.

So i guess somethings wrong with the data pulled from there.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
ofirbeigel (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2014, 11:02:21 PM

Why is the trading data from btc-china so inconsistent? I thought they have times when they dont trade and thats the reason for the missing data but it seems they trade all the time.

Did you update the ticker to the latest version ? I've removed BTC China about 6 months ago because of these issues. They seem to block many APIs. I've replaced it with HitBTC.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2014, 11:53:44 PM

Did you update the ticker to the latest version ? I've removed BTC China about 6 months ago because of these issues. They seem to block many APIs. I've replaced it with HitBTC.

Oh... didnt notice. Im using my old smartphone at the moment because my newer one was sent in for repairs. Thanks for the headsup. I like your app. Wink

ofirbeigel (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2014, 11:56:24 PM

Oh... didnt notice. Im using my old smartphone at the moment because my newer one was sent in for repairs. Thanks for the headsup. I like your app. Wink

Thanks for using it Smiley

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2014, 05:55:49 PM

I finally ported my data to my repaired now find 7 and installed bitcoin widget 1.6.2. It includes btc-china and the data includes missing entries. Did you make a newer version for androids above 4.3? Because i cant update it in google playstore.

Its not so important since i now know that btc-china is the reason for the missing data. Wink

ofirbeigel (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2014, 06:32:43 AM

I finally ported my data to my repaired now find 7 and installed bitcoin widget 1.6.2. It includes btc-china and the data includes missing entries. Did you make a newer version for androids above 4.3? Because i cant update it in google playstore.

Its not so important since i now know that btc-china is the reason for the missing data. Wink

I'm not sure what you're referring to since there are 2 tickers - one for WordPress and one for Android mobile phones. This post refers to Wordpress installations and currently has version 2.0.4 updated. Here's the latest version - I may have not updated it on my site and that's why you're seeing an older version.

Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2014, 05:50:37 AM

I'm not sure what you're referring to since there are 2 tickers - one for WordPress and one for Android mobile phones. This post refers to Wordpress installations and currently has version 2.0.4 updated. Here's the latest version - I may have not updated it on my site and that's why you're seeing an older version.

The plugin description isn't very consistent. The first line mentioned you have data from 5 exchanges while the second line mentioned you have data from 4 exchanges. Also, bitcoin average isn't really an exchange.
ofirbeigel (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 08:59:56 AM

The plugin description isn't very consistent. The first line mentioned you have data from 5 exchanges while the second line mentioned you have data from 4 exchanges. Also, bitcoin average isn't really an exchange.

thanks for the feedback

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 06:58:33 PM

thats it. very good advice.

ofirbeigel (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 11:36:50 PM

thats it. very good advice.

Well that's why it's called open source - so you can see that it's legit...and it's not on your pc it's for websites. Perhaps you should get more familiar with what a Wordpress plugin is before making such statements...

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 07:54:17 PM

Hm... btc-china data is completely gone now from android app and even bitfinex. Even though btc-china did miss data it was informational to know whats going on on the biggest btc-exchange. I dont get why bitfinex was deleted too.
I personally would like to see those exchanges back because i use the app to watch the prices on kraken, bitfinex and btc-china. Now the app isnt as worthy for me like it was before since kraken often reacts differently to the market. Its not that one can say that it develops exactly corresponding on the other exchanges.

So if possible i would like to see those exchanges back. Even with missing data.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: