Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:51:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What you do for security?  (Read 453 times)
FutureICOs (OP)

Activity: 449
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 04:36:42 PM

I think this question is something that should be in the mind of many, at least those who got over 1k Crypto Assets. As it is not RARE to see people losing their funds through hacking or all that stuff, it is becoming a lot common. So what measurements do you take to secure yourself (your funds)?

I have recently found this https://www.bitfreezer.us/, it is Hardware wallet as many might figure out. I have around 5-6k Crypto assets (depending on up/down value), so I believe it is not BAD to have this.

I have 2 questions. First is what I asked right at the start, it is what do you guys do for security? Then is this a good option to take? As I haven’t made an order yet, but will be going ahead on Monday. So let me hear your views. Thank you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OluwaTosin10

Activity: 546
Merit: 4

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 04:41:46 PM

I know you are talking about wallet securities
But will am hardware wallet really a solution, just stay clean, clear ur clipboards and secure your details in your mail

That should help and you may tell example of hardware wallets, have never used one
Thanks
Svelto

Activity: 686
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 04:44:57 PM

I use antivirus software to protect my computer, but I am still being careful because there are new tricks coming out from the scammers/hackers everyday.

As for wallet, I keep majority of my coins in Ledger and trezor hardware wallet.
Nerkata

Activity: 75
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 04:45:43 PM

I think this question is something that should be in the mind of many, at least those who got over 1k Crypto Assets. As it is not RARE to see people losing their funds through hacking or all that stuff, it is becoming a lot common. So what measurements do you take to secure yourself (your funds)?

I have recently found this https://www.bitfreezer.us/, it is Hardware wallet as many might figure out. I have around 5-6k Crypto assets (depending on up/down value), so I believe it is not BAD to have this.

I have 2 questions. First is what I asked right at the start, it is what do you guys do for security? Then is this a good option to take? As I haven’t made an order yet, but will be going ahead on Monday. So let me hear your views. Thank you

Never heard of BitFreezer so I can't comment on them. But I would always recommend getting a Nano by Ledger.

Furthermore be anonymous. Use different passwords for every service (as one should do). Always use 2-Factor-Authentification. Change your passwords frequently and never for the love of god give away your private key.

●COTI (http://coti.io)●CURRENCY OF THE INTERNET (http://coti.io)●
dicaprio

Activity: 560

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 04:58:41 PM

The most basic tool to ensure your safety is your attentiveness, if you do not hurry anywhere and will be very careful approach to the case, then the possibility of hacking you will be less. So just be more careful and everything will be fine.
cryptonero

Activity: 210
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:01:54 PM

I dont recommend using any uknown hardwallets it is better to use what most of the people are using so you wont lose anything and you are confident that your hardwallet cannot be compromised,i am using both ledger and trezor for about a year and a half ,i really dont encounter any problems using it,these two are the most secured wallet to date,and you should get one also for your protection.

jackolinyoko

Activity: 204
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:05:56 PM

Install anti virus and malwarebytes so you computer wont be infected by these malwares and viruses,the hardwallet that you mentioned is from uknown developer so i wont recommend to use it ,instead of that you can use ledger nano s because even your computer has viruses and malwares you private keys wont be stolen by these hackers,that is why it is recommended to have a hardwallet.

pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:09:42 PM

Here's a quick rundown:

1) Do not use Windows for anything crypto
2) Use Linux for anything crypto (any user friendly distribution would do if you are new to Linux)
3) Do not expose your private keys to the internet ever, so either have a hardware wallet, or better yet, a laptop with no wifi card or anything that could connect to the internet
4) Do not give your personal information to exchanges, they are all potential scams that will disappear eventually. I have a lot of experience with exchanges disappearing out of nowhere. Luckily they didn't had my info.
5) Do not store your coins in exchanges, obviously
6) Consider any other coin buy Bitcoin a potential scam

That would be it.
FutureICOs (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:19:13 PM

I know you are talking about wallet securities
But will am hardware wallet really a solution, just stay clean, clear ur clipboards and secure your details in your mail

That should help and you may tell example of hardware wallets, have never used one
Thanks

How much Crypto assets you have? I think it is fine if the amount is below 1k, but above it, I believe you got to look at these options. It is easy to say I have NEVER used it, so I will just NEVER use it. You got to change with the time, as that’s how you get in the BETTER zone.
Noelbetty12

Activity: 168
Merit: 5

Now You Can Be The Bookmaker!

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:21:40 PM

Security on huge assets or investments is important. Hacking can be done easily if your computer can be manipulated or viewed from a remote location using viruses and or malware. Using hardware wallet can be a very good option for security purposes. I would suggest you should use that.

【 MARGINLESS.IO 】 (https://www.marginless.io/)
【Now YOU Can Be The Bookmaker!】
Wipro

Activity: 924
Merit: 512

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:25:24 PM

Already trezor and ledger nano has been widely used by many people who is on cryptos. I do not think this wallet will be goes viral there both wallet. If we are worry that our wallet should not be hacked. Keep your funds on private key secured desktop wallet that is enough i think.
Don't prefer to save your fund on online wallet. If you have wallet details on public system where others can access except you. Keep it on private place.
ksiazek7

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:34:14 PM

Wow lot's of people are far more security conscious then I am.  I understand hackers/malware gets better day in and day out but if you keep of sketchy websites. Run things like spybot search and destroy.  I am at least comfortable with desktop wallets, Mew wallet, and even some exchanges like Binance or Kucoin for a bit of money (couple thousand). 

I understand that the advice given by one gentleman above is likely the best practices but you have to be realistic with yourself.  Most of us aren't willing to go thru that level of due diligence.  Just gotta make it hard enough that it isn't worth the hackers time imo.

A T O M Z  ǁ  Cryptocurrency Investing Done Easy
▔▔▔▔▔▔  ❨❨   Token Sale Starts Soon   ❩❩  ▔▔▔▔▔▔
ajqjjj

Activity: 1498
Merit: 507

Not your Keys, not your Bitcoin

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:35:58 PM

I use antivirus software to protect my computer, but I am still being careful because there are new tricks coming out from the scammers/hackers everyday.

As for wallet, I keep majority of my coins in Ledger and trezor hardware wallet.
Ledger and trezor is more than enough to protect your  money. Because both are hardware wallet so no one should hack your wallet. But you should careful your private keys this is more important in all the wallet. All the digital currencies are only 90% of secured other 10% percent is our responsible.

-support Bitcoin Community Bitcointalk.org-
Always verify wallet to store your Bitcoin
Donations are open, send PM
tahmad

Activity: 252
Merit: 14

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:36:42 PM

I just create unique password, not same with my DOB or anything else of my public data. Turn on one time password to my phone.
And also use Google Auth if the website provide it.
abduljacklu

Activity: 235
Merit: 11

ENTRY cryptocurrency

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:42:50 PM

First you will need to install some good anti virus for your computer or laptop,add some malwarebytes to be sure that no malwares will be installed in your computer.Use ledger nano s or trezor they are the most commonly used hardwallets (most trusted) by the community,third use metamask extension in your browser syo it can prevent phishing sites from stealing your private keys when you are transacting in cryptocurreny exchanges.

FutureICOs (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:44:35 PM

What’s the cost of that? Also, can you list down some of the features? And finally what is your take on BitFreezer? I also like you to compare it and then let me better.
askmecrypto

Activity: 406
Merit: 109

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:46:34 PM

The most common hacks over crypto are with malwares, so first thing I did is I moved from Windows to Linux, as there are pretty less  chances of getting infected with malware on Linux as in compared to windows.
Second, most of my tokens I keep in my Ledger Nano S.
If I am trading on decentralized ETH exchanges like etherdelta, I make sure I use Metamask.

these are good practices to safeguard yourself.
beskid

Activity: 252
Merit: 103

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 05:57:36 PM

My friend uses a bitfreezer purse.  He says that it is convenient and safe.  BitFreezer is built on the basis of Tails and because access to bitcoin runs from the boot operating system that is located directly on BitFreezer you do not have to worry about whether your operating system is infected with viruses.
CHILO20

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 06:09:10 PM

Use an offline wallet or ledger, that's basically it. You don't have to give yourself too much headache when the solution is simple, and you end up not risking anything in other system that you do not have control.

Second is stay clean, do not go to malicious websites. Clicking on some ads/links can get you phised and hacked.
Install a good firewall/antivirus or malware/rootkit protection.

And don't give you private keys/address to anyone, also your personal info on public/social media.
FutureICOs (OP)

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 06:09:49 PM

Never heard of BitFreezer so I can't comment on them. But I would always recommend getting a Nano by Ledger.

Furthermore be anonymous. Use different passwords for every service (as one should do). Always use 2-Factor-Authentification. Change your passwords frequently and never for the love of god give away your private key.

I think Ledger is something that MOST are fairly well aware of it, but I have NEVER used it and I like to know the cost and how it works. This BItFreezer is $49, so looks fine to me. I don’t exactly have a burning desire to have this but I feel if $50 can give me security for my 5k amount, then it should be worth going for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: