Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:07:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Added asicminer usbs and all are now slow  (Read 710 times)
crudpuppy (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 03:34:39 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2013, 11:36:04 PM by crudpuppy

I got my anker 10 port and artic fan in today!
Went from 2 usb erupters in ports on PC to 6 in the hub with fan well within limits for this usb hub.  

Now the problem: when I was running just the 2 I got 336mh each now with the 6 I am only getting 303mh each.  Pool mining 50btc pool.  Using cgminer-nogpu 3.4.3 which those parts haven't changed just the 2 to 6 with hub and new cooling.  Any ideas?

SOLVED - Don't use usb extension cable I had laying around hehe

██████████████████████ ▀▄ Platio ▄▀ ██████████████████████
[TELEGRAM]│Smart Banking Ecosystem for crypto, fiat and│[FACEBOOK]
[TWITTER] │stocks, based on EOS blockchain technology │ [MEDIUM]
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 04:38:30 PM

Are you using getwork or stratum?

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
crudpuppy (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 05:00:49 PM

stratum and just looked its actually running them about 320mh now  still not what I would of seen before from start and all the way through...these seem to be varying much more.  I don't have any special parameters passed to cgminer-nogpu except pool info.

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 05:14:20 PM

stratum and just looked its actually running them about 320mh now  still not what I would of seen before from start and all the way through...these seem to be varying much more.  I don't have any special parameters passed to cgminer-nogpu except pool info.

You don't need any other parameters.  Make sure you look at the average and also keep in mind if you had a period of connectivity issues that will reflect in a lower average as well.  The instantaneous rate (AKA 5 second average) does fluctuate all over the place.

Try a different pool for a couple hours and see if you get the same results.  I point an equal number of erupters at three different pools so I can see the difference between them.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
crudpuppy (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 05:19:41 PM

I was actually not looking at either header area but at the each devices level it lists the devices mh/s and that was the numbers Not sure if these are a average or 5s or what.  Not talking about changing all over the place but was looking lower then now when I opened and been steady in 320s for a while now per device.  My point was with only 2 same pool I received 335s. Wondering what would make goin from 2 to 6 cause each to run slightly slower overall if its something to do with throughput on hub or what IDK.  Changing pool is adding another variance not figuring out what the variance really is.

crudpuppy (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2013, 11:35:34 PM

Update...solved.  I had hooked up the anker hub through a USB extension cable that allowed me to move it where I wanted easier.  I removed this from the equation and restarted everything and guess what now all 6 are getting their 335-336mh rating.  Guess that is a bad idea or at least that extension cable is maybe too weak for that amount of data.

MerchantMiner

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 11:43:04 PM

Update...solved.  I had hooked up the anker hub through a USB extension cable that allowed me to move it where I wanted easier.  I removed this from the equation and restarted everything and guess what now all 6 are getting their 335-336mh rating.  Guess that is a bad idea or at least that extension cable is maybe too weak for that amount of data.

I had the same problem with usb cable so now they sit in the back of my motherboard with a fan aimed at them
crudpuppy (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 12:13:26 AM

I'm wondering if its maybe a quality of the extension cable issue.  The ones I used was longest I had but was a thinner wire one that some of the short ones that seem rather pointless to even use I have around here.  Generally speaking thicker is more conductivity and more expensive to make but better quality wise.  Might be able to find a good high quality extension that works but ah no real need.

MerchantMiner

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 12:42:55 AM

I'm wondering if its maybe a quality of the extension cable issue.  The ones I used was longest I had but was a thinner wire one that some of the short ones that seem rather pointless to even use I have around here.  Generally speaking thicker is more conductivity and more expensive to make but better quality wise.  Might be able to find a good high quality extension that works but ah no real need.

is there a difference for USB 2 and USB 3 speeds in cables ? like useing a USB 2 cable in a USB 3 Slot?
crudpuppy (OP)

View Profile
September 27, 2013, 01:46:12 AM

There are differences in the way they hook up so maybe the erupter can only achieve the full 336 if applied through an actual usb 3 connection and by placing a usb 2 extension in between caused the slight data thoroughput(sp?) lose.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: