Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:29:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How exchanges steal our money  (Read 572 times)
Canis Majoris (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 59

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 07:47:49 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2018, 08:01:44 PM by Canis Majoris
Merited by poplolnman (2), Gleb Gamow (1)

Many people have reported that they noticed a lot of shady behavior on the part of exchanges, and here I want to discuss specific methods which many, if not all, exchanges employ to steal our money. I know of at least 2 risk-free methods which are in the store ready to be used on trading folk:

1. Exchange sees a big sell or buy order entering the system which would fill a lot of orders in the orderbook at prices higher or below the price set by the trader. In this case, exchange can itself sell or buy all these orders first and then fill the entering order at its specific price. The effect is that the exchange earns profit while the trader gets his order filled at maximum or minimum possible price. This method works exceptionally well with market orders filled at the current market price. Guess what price it will be.

2. Exchange can set arbitrary delays while adding new orders. For example, WEX (former Btc-e) officially sets a 2 second delay within which a trader doesn't know what's going on at the exchange. In this case, if exchange sees a big order, it can delay adding it waiting for another big order to arrive. If these orders are offsetting each other, exchange can then fill them itself and put the spread in the pocket. This approach works particularly well with exchanges that have lots of liquidity.

If you know of other dirty tricks that exchanges use, share them here.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
imapessimist

Activity: 266
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 07:56:24 PM

But with nobody regulating them some exchanges can do dirty dealing.  That is the whole point of regulation.  To try and make sure people are not cheated.
staywoke081

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

Santa Coin

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 08:28:03 PM

I heard last week about how Stocks Exchange is allegedly using coins to create Masternodes from them. Not sure if that is true, and not entirely sure if that is shady but it is unethical on some level that is for sure.

Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2018, 08:45:55 PM

I don't understand why you consider this to be theft. Exchanges have always had a difference between buying and selling prices ( the spread ). Banks do it with fiat transactions, and they often charge an additional commission on the trrade.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Gabz999

Merit: 107

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 05:29:10 AM

I guess they do it just to make an extra income on their platform despite of a big fees on every trade in some platform.
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 04:09:38 PM
Merited by 1Referee (1)

What you are saying isnt something unknown neither it is shady enough to say that exchanges steal your coins. Each exchange has certain working strategy, 2 second delay sometimes might even not be intentional but something the api needs to list the order.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 04:48:39 PM

What you are saying isnt something unknown neither it is shady enough to say that exchanges steal your coins. Each exchange has certain working strategy, 2 second delay sometimes might even not be intentional but something the api needs to list the order.

Yup. I rather be worried about something that's going on we don't know about, than something we know is happening and we can prepare ourself for, or even avoid a certain exchange for. At the end of the day, an exchange tries to offer its traders the best possible trading environment, and for that reason works with certain measures (that people may or may not like) to keep it like that, or at least prevent one entity from eating through the available liquidity at once. The same applies to stock markets, so it's not that people are catched by surprise. In other words, every central authority can be accused of doing something that may benefit themselves or certain entities, and negatively impact others. It's impossible to satisfy everyone.
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 04:50:42 PM
Merited by antantti (1)

Weird but inevitable how much power we've chosen to award exchanges. We plead with them to ignore or embrace our forks and shitcoins. We plead with them to be good actors when filling up the Blockchain.

All the while almost nothing is known about the management, ownership and health of many of them, let alone their honesty.

In our rush to get rid of 'banksters' we've enriched and legitimised organisations run by amateurs, criminals and assholes often with zero regulation. If they ever got within reach of banking riches the crypto scene would be even more disgusting than it is right now.

It's one of the major barometers of crypto's real progress towards making a better world. Right now it's looking fairly samey.
Canis Majoris (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 05:08:38 PM

I don't understand why you consider this to be theft. Exchanges have always had a difference between buying and selling prices ( the spread ). Banks do it with fiat transactions, and they often charge an additional commission on the trrade.

Maybe, because front running, which the tricks mentioned here fall under, is considered unethical practice in any trading environment? Obviously, it gives an undeserved advantage to some market players, in this case to exchanges, but in trading such advantage always means money, money lost and earned, if it can called that. Which, if you ask me, is not very far from stealing. Anyway, front running is officially prohibited on any major regulated exchange, and the exchanges that get caught suffer severe penalties. Not that it prevents them from further attempts at secretly deceiving their clients whenever possible but still.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 12:15:30 AM

How exchanges steal our money?

They do it with fees. More we trade, fatter they get. When price of coin increase and transactions fees decrease, exchanges are super slow oto reduce their withdrawing fees and keep them high as long as they can. Some exchanges like HitBTC even takes fee when you deposit coins there.

An0nyMoose

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 12:52:35 AM

They charge fees during trading and there are so many trades they earn a lot but they also charge a very high fees for withdrawal. So every time you withdraw money you can giving it to exchanges.

Blockonomics                          ██
                         ████  ██

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄ ████  ████  ██
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ████  ████
    ▄█████▀▀         ▀▀█████▄ ██  ████
   ████▀                 ▀████   ████
  ████      ████████▄      ████ ████
 ████        ██    ██▄      ████ ██
████         ██     ██       ████
████         ██   ▄██▀       ████
████         ███████         ████
████         ██    ██▄       ████
████         ██     ██       ████
 ████        ██    ██▀      ████
  ████      ████████▀      ████
   ████▄                 ▄████
    ▀█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▀
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
          ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
timerland

Activity: 1526
Merit: 596

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 04:51:43 AM

While your accusations may not apply to certain exchanges, I think it could well happen. It's definitely doable for an exchange, almost undetectable and very profitable if they can do these on a consistent basis on this volatile market.

I think that the main issue with exchanges right now is still the fact that people are storing funds on them.

Most likely, exchanges are investing in stuff that they don't tell their customers about or even just using their money somewhere else to do stuff for the owner's benefit.

Many exchanges may be insolvent due to fractional reserve, and that's a huge way that exchanges are essentially watering down the coins you store on their site.

Smiley
jseverson

Activity: 1834
Merit: 759

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 02:00:02 PM

If I understand correctly, you're basically saying that instead of processing orders in the order they come in, exchanges are processing them in such an order where they will make the most amount of profit, and could use delays to this end?

I guess it could be said that it's shady behavior, but you could just as easily say it's good business sense. Wouldn't it also be considered nothing in the grand scheme of things because we're only talking about manipulating (using the term very loosely here) transactions made within literally a couple of seconds within each other?

I might have totally misunderstood what you were saying, but that's my two satoshis anyway lol.

It's not that I absolutely trust in exchanges either. You never know which one will have a "hacking" incident, and whether they're legit or not. Someone's definitely stealing your money either way, and exchanges are involved one way or another.

richminded

Activity: 798
Merit: 268

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 02:10:32 PM

We cannot know this if no one regulating them, this might be true or not but its their business and we have no choice but to use it anyway, they make money through fees or even in that way but as long as my funds are safe there I will keep my mouth shout because I am using some exchanges smoothly and hopefully they can go even better.
Canis Majoris (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 06:15:02 PM

No, it is not just about listing the orders. 2 second delay at WEX is the clock tick at which data is refreshed. It means that if you are using their API to access trading data, you will be querying cashed data. Obviously, it is claimed that the purpose is to lower load on exchange servers but as a side effect, you don't know what's actually going on at the exchange for the next 2 seconds after you receive refreshed information. But 2 seconds is a huge amount of time within which a lot of things can happen.
vintages

Activity: 966
Merit: 153

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 06:44:10 PM

Anyone who trades or makes use of exchange and don't know that most exchange does dirty tricks to get more money from users aside their regular gain is still learning. Aside the two you mentioned above, the one that hurts me more is that sometimes some hacks that do happen in some exchanges might have the tendency of been done by their owners. This is all greediness and unfair.
penig

Merit: 13

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:02:05 PM

Oh gosh, they make money? !!? I thought it was a service to the good of mankind.  Roll Eyes

So yes, when i buy coin at 0.0341 i might be buying from exchange who brought from someone at 0.0340.  I got my price, he got his price, if we do market orders we dont care about precise price. What exact is the point of this revelation?  We close exchanges?
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:20:14 PM

People are good at complaining about centralized services, which in some cases is well justified, but in some cases also not. Believe me, I have seen a lot shady stuff happen on various altcoin exchanges throughout the years, but I kept using them regardless of that, and so are other people. I partly agree with OP even though it can't really be considered theft in my opinion, and others in this thread seem to believe so too. The point is that with how people are so dependent on these centralized exchanges, they will continue to swallow everything as long as it isn't forming a major obstacle for themselves. It basically means that an exchange will continue to behave in a certain way without people actually complaining or taking strong action. If you do something even remotely wrong, and no one points you to your wrongdoings, you'll continue your usual path....
campica

Activity: 645
Merit: 145

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:21:41 PM

I don't think that exchanges steal our money, because they earning big money on their fee. They have fee when you sell , buy and withdraw money. Some exchange even have fee when you deposit bitcoin , that is really bad in my opinion, so before you open account on exchange first read about Fees.
Canis Majoris (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:25:27 PM

If I understand correctly, you're basically saying that instead of processing orders in the order they come in, exchanges are processing them in such an order where they will make the most amount of profit, and could use delays to this end?

No, I don't mean that. Out of order execution is out of limits even for crypto exchanges, though where it happens, and it does happen here and there, it may in fact be due to bugs in a trading engine rather than malicious intent. I know that at Bter, a Chinese exchange that was active a couple or so years ago, you could fool their trading engine and get your orders executed before anyone else's in the same queue. Obviously, this is an unfair advantage. But there is nothing fair in what I speak about in OP either. Honestly, I don't understand why some people here consider this or similar practices kind of normal. Regular exchanges get severely punished if they get caught doing such things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: