Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:43:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Ripple is officially open-source! w/link  (Read 24524 times)
misterbigg
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 02:49:09 PM

I'm digging thru the code trying to get what it is about. It will take a lot of time to get understanding of the sources without a good manual. Is there any btw?

Unfortunately there is no definitive "programmer's manual" that explains the operation of the program, but if you post in the Ripple Development forum with your question I will do my best to try to answer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
annette786

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 02:51:05 PM

Wow. Reading this thread was like watching Gladiator.  Trade just tore right through them.  Thanks for the morning coffee entertainment.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 02:51:48 PM

I'm digging thru the code trying to get what it is about. It will take a lot of time to get understanding of the sources without a good manual. Is there any btw?

Unfortunately there is no definitive "programmer's manual" that explains the operation of the program, but if you post in the Ripple Development forum with your question I will do my best to try to answer.

For comparison, Satoshi included a Genesis block generator in the code with comments.
Wow. Reading this thread was like watching Gladiator.  Trade just tore right through them.  Thanks for the morning coffee entertainment.

You're welcome, those with logical thinking capacities have quite different reactions to Ripple compared to the "get rich quick, pump and dump" folks.
mah87
Donator

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

-Bitcoin & Ripple-

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 02:54:18 PM

Satoshi included a Genesis block generator in the code with comments. Why is this not the case here? Afraid of competition that will distribute XRPs fairly?

Your arguments are worst and worst... Opencoin team is still waiting you on www.ripple.com/forum to answer all your questions... It seems you don't want to ask there because your lies would be exposed.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 02:57:07 PM

Thank you.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:00:39 PM

Perhaps one of the many Ripple Labs employees who posted in this thread could rebute something I said on RippleScam.org? Their silence is revealing.

Mah87, what is one of the "lies" on RippleScam? It is up to you to prove I am lying, not the other way around. This is basic stuff.

Also, remember when I corrected Joel Katz on Ripple?
kakobrekla

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:03:06 PM

I think we're going to see a lot of old posts and websites getting updated with retractions regarding "Ripple is not open source" now. Especially since they are liable for slander (libel?) otherwise.

This is the stupidest shit I have read this week and its Thursday.

Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:03:20 PM

The bridge comment was in response to shakezola.

Of course you'll have at least an indirect connection to opencoin, as they ran the main ledger until now. If you put only third party nodes there, you'll still end up on the main one, just like with bitcoin where everyone ends up on satoshi's chain.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:08:09 PM

The bridge comment was in response to shakezola.

Of course you'll have at least an indirect connection to opencoin, as they ran the main ledger until now. If you put only third party nodes there, you'll still end up on the main one, just like with bitcoin where everyone ends up on satoshi's chain.
No. If you only put third party ones in, and the third party ones do not add OpenCoin, you will end up with a diff ledger when someone tries a double spend - broadcasting one to Open coin and one to your 3rd party validators.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:09:11 PM

Can't wait for someone to fork it, get rid of XRP (and make it something cheap to mine, like namecoins; it only needs to be an anti-spam), and have it truly community operated!

Collect bounty to speed this up.
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 03:10:09 PM

Nooo, this is never going to happen. They open sourced their server just to scum you, my dear anarcho-libertarian shitheads!  Grin

yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 03:16:00 PM

nice. Now lets see a fork with a better idea than 100% pre mined. I would be interested in that.

There is no mining or premining in ripple network. I don't understand why people still don't get it.

For sure some ideas will emerged from the work OpenCoin have done but going as far as OpenCoin is with seems difficult...

nono. anyone can try.  that's the reason the code is open source.

Of course. But i'm curious to see those people claiming things better than ripple will appear in no time ...

They just believe in Harry Potter with a magic wand.

🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 03:18:35 PM

Can't wait for someone to fork it, get rid of XRP (and make it something cheap to mine, like namecoins; it only needs to be an anti-spam), and have it truly community operated!
You'd need to remove the UNL aspects too to make it decentralized. Mining can work without high orphans and a 10s/ledger system - each PoW hit entitles you to the next ledger updates until another PoW hit for example which are not tied to ledger updates, with the reward distributed among the next ledgers to disincentize stalling.

Video game engine analogy: 60 FPS rendering, 20 FPS physics engine.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 03:54:58 PM

Talk is cheap show me the code. Ripple delivered, your move.
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 04:33:51 PM

Nice to see some steps in the right direction with Open Sourcing and with the name change.

However

Despite that though I still have an instinctive aversion to the concept of chains of trust and passing around debts. Bitcoins are something I get, it is sound money. Ripple is something that I just don't get the idea is confusing and even if the ripple devs have good intentions, I can't get past feeling that the idea can be used for nefarious aims.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 05:19:15 PM

Glad to see they delivered.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 07:04:32 PM

No. If you only put third party ones in, and the third party ones do not add OpenCoin, you will end up with a diff ledger when someone tries a double spend - broadcasting one to Open coin and one to your 3rd party validators.

You can easily test this yourself - just run e.g. a handful of independent servers, put their NodeIDs in each UNL and require a quorum of 3/5 on each. You will not be able to double-spend at all and also won't see any double-spend attempts, you will end on a fully forked ledger with 100 billion unspent XRP in the genesis account. Any double-spend attempts towards your or mainline ledgers will fail, as you have a completely different XRP and trust distribution in your ledgers, meaning your 5 servers will regard every transaction on mainline Ripple as being fake and on the other hand any transaction that is valid on your fork is seen as invalid on mainline Ripple.

This is just like starting Bitcoin with a different genesis block or after a hard fork. Transactions on one block chain will be viewed as completely fake from the other part of the fork and vice versa.

Just as the consensus in Bitcoin is: The main chain is the one starting from Satoshi's genesis block AND has the checkpoints which are embedded in bitcoin-qt (as there might be somebody else starting from Satoshi's block), it is the same in Ripple where the main ledger chain is the one started in Dec. 2012. Of course in both cases it is trivial to start an alternate reality - calling it "centralized" because of this is a bit much in my opinion though, as this would apply to Bitcoin in the same way for example...

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
QuantPlus

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 08:40:09 PM

Nice to see some steps in the right direction with Open Sourcing and with the name change.

However

Despite that though I still have an instinctive aversion to the concept of chains of trust and passing around debts. Bitcoins are something I get, it is sound money. Ripple is something that I just don't get the idea is confusing and even if the ripple devs have good intentions, I can't get past feeling that the idea can be used for nefarious aims.

https://ripplecharts.com/markets

There's been no progress since May...
You got Bitstamp and nothing else...
Even with the BIG BOOM of open sourcing only $38,000 USD/XRP traded.

Their big US Gateway SnapSwap is doing $2,315 of business/day.

If you bought XRP in May... you are STILL DOWN 50% at 9000/BTC...
There's no liquidity anyway to make any real money...
Plus 98,000,000,000 XRP waiting to be dumped on you, baby.

Compared to mcxNOW... Ripple is a Ghost Town = 100% hype...
Do people not realize that every single business associated with Ripple is IN THE RED.

halibit
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 08:53:12 PM

However

Do people not realize that every single business associated with Ripple is IN THE RED.

Agree, but anyway they make something new, maybe usefull in future.
klee
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 09:31:52 PM

However

What if the deal with ZipZap is real? How much better would it make this?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: