Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:35:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-09-25 MarketWatch.com: Bitcoin trust launched by SecondMarket  (Read 1352 times)
rtt (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 02:53:56 AM
Last edit: September 26, 2013, 04:10:47 AM by rtt

Bitcoin trust launched by SecondMarket
By Saumya Vaishampayan, MarketWatch

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) — SecondMarket on Thursday will begin raising capital in the Bitcoin Investment Trust, an open-ended trust that only invests in bitcoin.

The minimum investment is $25,000. Accredited and institutional investors will be able to purchase shares in the bitcoin trust through SecondMarket, the trading platform best known for allowing investors to buy and sell Facebook Inc. (NASDAQ:FB)  shares before the social network went public in 2012.

The trust aims to make bitcoin more accessible to investors, said Barry Silbert, chief executive of SecondMarket, in an interview. “The process of purchasing and safekeeping bitcoin is quite challenging, especially if an investor wants to invest a meaningful amount,” he told MarketWatch.

Bitcoin is a decentralized virtual currency that attracted attention for its wild price swings in April. Bitcoins are created through a process called mining, in which a computer solves a cryptographic problem, and the supply is capped at 21 million.

The bitcoin space has been hit by regulatory uncertainty as government officials try to better understand virtual currencies. In August, the New York Department of Financial Services released a notice of inquiry on virtual currencies and issued subpoenas to bitcoin-related companies.

“All of the regulatory chatter that’s out there, to us it kind of validates that there’s a need for this safe, trusted, regulated way to invest in bitcoin,” said Silbert.

Bitcoin’s lack of accessibility also led Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to file to register a bitcoin exchange-traded fund called the Winklevoss Bitcoin Trust with the Securities and Exchange Commission in July.

The Bitcoin Investment Trust is the first private investment vehicle in the U.S. to solely invest in bitcoin, according to a statement from SecondMarket released Wednesday.

SecondMarket invested $2 million in the bitcoin trust, which has also received initial interest from money managers, traders, family offices and technology entrepreneurs, said Silbert.

The private bitcoin trust has annual administrative and safekeeping fee of 2%. The front-end fee, which is waived for investments made in 2013, will be 1.5%. Once investors are allowed to sell shares on SecondMarket in 2014, the back-end fee will be 1.5%.

The trust’s sponsor is a wholly-owned subsidiary of SecondMarket called Alternative Currency Asset Management, which has retained the services of Sidley Austin LLP, Ernst & Young and Continental Stock Transfer & Trust.

New York-based SecondMarket has established relationships with more than 100 players in the bitcoin space, including miners, early adopters, and exchanges, in order to be able to meet demand in the trust, said Silbert.

The net asset value of the fund will be set every day, taking into account prices across several exchanges. Prices across bitcoin exchanges vary. The recent price of one bitcoin on the two largest exchanges, Mt. Gox and Bitstamp, was $135.99 and $124.60, respectively.

Silbert said he was first exposed to bitcoin in the summer of 2011. “Like most people, my initial reaction was skepticism,” he said. “I came to appreciate that bitcoin has the potential to disrupt three very large markets.”

That includes the opportunity for bitcoin to be used as a store of value like gold, as a global currency and as a global money-transfer network, he said. “There’s a significant upside for price potential for investors who get involved,” Silbert said.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bitcoin-trust-launched-by-secondmarket-2013-09-25
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rtt (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 02:55:56 AM

The caption under the photo of Winklevoss twins states: "Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss. The brothers have failed to register a bitcoin exchange-traded fund. "

I didn't know they had failed with their Bitcoin ETF. Is that so?
 Huh
zoinky

Activity: 811
Merit: 1000

Web Developer

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 05:02:33 AM

I guess this is what Max Keiser was hinting at, pretty big news in my opinion.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 06:41:02 AM

I wonder what their security and transparency set up will be like? (Who is main sys. admin. most importantly?)

Just all to easy for the Trust to haz the coinz just disappear and no-one is the wiser if it was inside job or some master hacker or NSA ... same as it ever was with centralised repositories of wealth i suppose ... it's just that bitcoin has seen this business model so many times, albeit much smaller scale, but some 'good' sys admins have got fingers badly burned in bitcoin security already, just saying.

HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 02:10:23 PM

The caption under the photo of Winklevoss twins states: "Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss. The brothers have failed to register a bitcoin exchange-traded fund. "

Huh

I haven't seen anything about a failure.  Besides, you cant have a MSM article about bitcoin without some sort of factually innacurate FUD.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
Herp

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 02:13:10 PM

Huh

That's disinformation. Their ETF application is pending approval. It may or may not get approved but hasn't been decided yet.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2013, 07:43:11 PM

Huh

That's disinformation. Their ETF application is pending approval. It may or may not get approved but hasn't been decided yet.

+1

some infos about second market:

"The firm's private-company transactions, which totaled $100 million in 2009, quadrupled by 2010 to $400 million. Based on first-quarter results, SecondMarket could broker $1 billion in private-company shares in 2011, taking fees from 3 to 5 percent on each trade (split evenly between buyer and seller). In March 2011, it had 53,000 registered participants, up from 35,000 in 2010, 6,500 in 2009 and 2,500 in 2008."

Wiki

sounds like big news

btbrae

Activity: 680
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 26, 2013, 09:03:01 PM

The guy on the CNBC interview did a real good job pitching it, that's for sure.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: