Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:46:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Simple Steps To Pick A Good ICO (For Newbies)  (Read 183 times)
Boluwatife (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 7

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:24:08 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2018, 10:26:50 AM by Boluwatife
Merited by chesatochi (1), bosses (1), aussiesloth (1)

So thought i could be of help to the newbies on how to pick a good ICO.

The reason is that I have often encounter beginners who have been scammed by ICO or have made mistakes and invested into the wrong ICO. My opinion is that if they know how to pick a good ICO to invest in, they would be less prone to losing their money in this game.

ENJOY!

5 Simple Steps;
1. A Real Business Case : A real business case and demand is key to any business and even more so for ICO. The ICO must have a product that leverages the blockchain and not just using the ICO to grab cash.

2. Small Hard Cap: A lot of ICO have ambitious hardcap in the hundreds of millions. Unless they have a one of a kind product else stick to ICO with a maximum of $40 million in hardcap. The subsequent growth in marketcap will give us better returns.

3. Great Team Members: Look for a ICO with project members who have previous ICO successes or they have held important positions in the relevant industries. Too many ICO are just being launched by people who are trying to break in industries they have no network in.

4. Super Advisors : Advisors are gold. If an ICO lists a bunch of average developers and legal people as their advisors, RUN. They must have advisors who are well known in the blockchain world or in the industries their business is trying to disrupt.

5. Amazing Marketing : Marketing is key. ICO must invest in marketing and be able to attract lots of interest for a sell out ICO. You can see this if they have lots of members in their social media especially in their telegram group. Aim for at least 500 members

DUE DILIGENCE
: While the above 5 steps will be able to shortlist for you ICO with high chances of success, you must still do your own due diligence to understand their whitepaper and know what you are getting into. Your ICO investing results will depend on how much work you put in.

I hope i was able to be of help. If you think i was, please share a little merit on this post. Thanks in advance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Nalbo

Activity: 870
Merit: 125

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:27:50 AM

I agree with most of your ideas to pick a good ICO but small hardcap is no way to a measure of a good ICO. I'd rather look for a legally registered company so that they may be brought to lawsuit in worst case scenario.
Dluretic

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:28:14 AM

Perhaps you have overlooked one of the most critical factors: whether the code is open source.
The speed of open source code and code updates determines whether the ICO project will succeed.

Wind_Crypto

Activity: 350
Merit: 36

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:29:21 AM

sorta in line with what you think, but i prefer to group them into the following ratings cluster. Note to newbies: also always be careful to follow instructions clearly, including whether they accept btc or just eth, and not to send eth/btc from an exchange etc.

Hype:
twitter users
reddit posts
telegram members
discord members
responsiveness/truthfulness of moderators in these channels

Fundamentals:  
Availability of MVP
Team strength (number of experts in the field; linkedin profiles)  
Whitepaper originality/technicality/clarity    
Independent reviews  
Partnerships with corporates/academia  
Use-case strength  
Clarity of roadmap

Others:  
Existing Competition (other coins in the same space? how established are they)    
Regulation Risk (does it have security characteristics?)  
Hardcap (is it asking for too much money for its use case?)
Share of tokens distributed (are the founders/team keeping too much for themselves, escrow?)
soloinvestor

Activity: 182
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 12:13:23 PM

In my opinion, it is better to make your own research and trust your guts.

The most of the privacy coins are undervalued right now.

The best opportunity is to find a privacy-related project with a low total supply (less than 100M), that way the price will be increasing much faster.

I recently found one project called Ethereum Meta, it is related to anonymity and untraceable transaction. They have a very interesting project to build the Anonymous E-Market Place.

They are on Pre-ICO stage right now, you can check their website: https://ethermeta.com/
Or even better go through their Bitcointalk thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2659058.0
webmone

Activity: 287

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 01:06:04 PM

You also need to pay attention to the possibility of implementing the project. Promises of guaranteed earnings can be immediately considered false, since it is impossible to accurately predict anything in the market for crypto currency.
Phil419She

Activity: 346
Merit: 100

BitSong is a dcentralized music streaming platform

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 01:39:32 PM

Well this could bee a nice guide and following it can give you a head start, but all in all there is really nothing that can assure you that a project can be a success. I have been studying a lot about ICOs in order that I might luckily land in some successful ones, but with all precautions I still got some failures.

Wallflower28

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 01:55:08 PM

The reason is that I have often encounter beginners who have been scammed by ICO or have made mistakes and invested into the wrong ICO. My opinion is that if they know how to pick a good ICO to invest in, they would be less prone to losing their money in this game.

ENJOY!

5 Simple Steps;
1. A Real Business Case : A real business case and demand is key to any business and even more so for ICO. The ICO must have a product that leverages the blockchain and not just using the ICO to grab cash.

2. Small Hard Cap: A lot of ICO have ambitious hardcap in the hundreds of millions. Unless they have a one of a kind product else stick to ICO with a maximum of $40 million in hardcap. The subsequent growth in marketcap will give us better returns.

3. Great Team Members: Look for a ICO with project members who have previous ICO successes or they have held important positions in the relevant industries. Too many ICO are just being launched by people who are trying to break in industries they have no network in.

4. Super Advisors : Advisors are gold. If an ICO lists a bunch of average developers and legal people as their advisors, RUN. They must have advisors who are well known in the blockchain world or in the industries their business is trying to disrupt.

5. Amazing Marketing : Marketing is key. ICO must invest in marketing and be able to attract lots of interest for a sell out ICO. You can see this if they have lots of members in their social media especially in their telegram group. Aim for at least 500 members

DUE DILIGENCE
: While the above 5 steps will be able to shortlist for you ICO with high chances of success, you must still do your own due diligence to understand their whitepaper and know what you are getting into. Your ICO investing results will depend on how much work you put in.

I hope i was able to be of help. If you think i was, please share a little merit on this post. Thanks in advance

Good ICO is immeasurable because we can say if an ICO is good if it is successful!
Your tips is good to newbies, it may also be the factors why a certain ICO succeed. However, we cannot depend always in these factors but we also think that investors really plays a vital role for the succession of an ICO. Wether it has super team and good developer if the project is not popular, they cannot attract investors.

noblex

Activity: 294

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 02:02:42 PM

I agree with you when we talk about long term investments, I also add that another sign of quality ICO is the well defined target. I read way too many wallpaper which claim "we are for everyone". DAMN, no! You are not for everyone, you have a market segment to aim, and you should aim to a very specific target as well.

ICOs which define their target are a step above the others in my humble opinion Smiley

About short term, I watch completely different factors, in primis the hype.
I saw projects that are, in my opinion, completely meaningless, with little to no reason to use the blockchain, but with a huge marketing and communication department, which led to millions of fund raised. These project usually have super fancy websites and WP. I use to join these ICO just to sell at the market opening, when the price reach abnormally high values for a short period of time, before going down.

I hope you'll find my post useful Smiley
Ponya
Copper Member

Activity: 140

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 02:03:22 PM

Thanks for right info. One more. The product should decide actual problem, better - global.
mega sylviku

Activity: 73

View Profile
March 14, 2018, 02:14:44 PM

I am very thankful that I can find this information which I can use as a reference to search good ICO. in terms of hard cap, I seldom found an ICO that pick small hard cap, most of them are the opposite. so are they categorized as bad ICO or unsuccessful ICO?
I think total supply can influence the categorization of good or bad ICO. right?
kruzer200

Activity: 420
Merit: 12

= DINNGO = https://dinngo.co

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2018, 10:38:14 AM

When choosing ICO, I try to find information about the project team, its creators, managers and engineers of the blockchain. Once scammers wrote fake people and it's easy enough to check.

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■⚫●●     DINNGO     ●●⚫■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■
████████  ⚫●●     THE MOBILE DIGITAL CURRENCY EXCHANGE     ●●⚫  ████████
White Paper  ●  Telegram   Facebook   Twitter   Medium   Reddit   Youtube  ●  ANN Thread
troiano9

Activity: 284

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 10:39:47 AM

picking a good ICO is getting harder and harder.  Definitely worried about all the coming crackdowns
saruxanyan

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 10:48:56 AM

Many Iko such that without the organization and thinking over their plan are simply lost and do not know what to do with the money that they have welded.
mmacool

Merit: 1

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 10:57:26 AM

Now the truth is, to find a good ICO is a very global problem. To find the project now, it can take not one day. And the choice remains for everyone individually.
IgniHash

Activity: 224

One Token to Move Anything Anywhere

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 11:00:41 AM

Sometimes, it's difficult to trust the team members.
Everyone can make an impostor or fake accounts. Even on LinkedIn.

BrBoy

Activity: 453

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:19:46 PM

When I choose ICO, I try to find as much information in social networks as possible about this project, because people share their impressions and often there write good thoughts
makuny

Activity: 896
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 07:29:38 PM

ENJOY!

5 Simple Steps;

DUE DILIGENCE

Nope, all this points can also be a fake / scam.
The perfect ico you don't can found.
I think all ICOs only for make money from the Company. 90% pic up the money and will go out of the project and the project will die.
Crumple Cat

Activity: 364
Merit: 138

dApps Development Automation Platform

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 08:26:43 PM

Thank you, everything is very clear! But it's strange that you didn't add a "working product" to a separate item.
Today it's sooooooooo important. Having a working product confirms that the team is really working.
But of course this doesn't guarantee success Smiley

lancer10

Activity: 504

View Profile
March 15, 2018, 10:23:50 PM

In fact, there are many factors by which you can determine whether it is a scam or not. One of them is a bad whitepaper, in which there are usually many inconsistencies.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: