Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:31:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running polls for all Forum members.  (Read 149 times)
Grayy (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 11:30:03 AM

I think this forum is quite liberal. People get to contribute what they know to help others grow in the cryptocurrency world. But I haven't seen any general polls run in the course of making decisions that affect all members(maybe I'm a kid here). Are periodic polls run on any section that I don't know of? What do you think are the pros and cons of running a general poll for members of this forum ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 11:34:33 AM

Polls have been run on the forum regarding suggestions on the forum, and other things like the ones which ask you to estimate the Bitcoin price over in the speculation section. Regarding the suggestions for the forum though, they are never the deciding factor as polls are easily manipulated in a forum where most of it's users are anonymous and have dozens of alt accounts. It only gives a general idea what others think, but is definitely open to abuse.
veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 03:12:36 PM

I think this forum is quite liberal. People get to contribute what they know to help others grow in the cryptocurrency world. But I haven't seen any general polls run in the course of making decisions that affect all members(maybe I'm a kid here). Are periodic polls run on any section that I don't know of? What do you think are the pros and cons of running a general poll for members of this forum ?

polls can be run by both: general public members and admins/mods
the ones that are held by users can be stumbled upon in different sections and they are usually to determine what people are thinking about a particular site or event
they have zero influence on what admins decide or do,the polls held by admins or moderators are rare
besides,this forum is not a democracy (which was considered by the ancient greeks the lowest form of the goverment,by the way )
but ruled by a gentle but firm hand of theymos,one could call it authoritarian but thats the way it is
thus do not oversestimate the power or the usefullness of the polls-the crowd is usually as smart as the least smart individual in it  Roll Eyes

▄▄████▄▄
      ▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄
   ▄████████▄▄▄▄████████▄
  ▀██████████████████████▀
▐█▄▄ ▀▀████▀    ▀████▀▀ ▄▄██
▐█████▄▄ ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ ▄▄██▀  █
▐██ ▀████▄▄ ▀██▀ ▄▄████  ▄██
▐██  ███████▄  ▄████████████
▐██  █▌▐█ ▀██  ██████▀  ████
▐██  █▌▐█  ██  █████  ▄█████
 ███▄ ▌▐█  ██  ████████████▀
  ▀▀████▄ ▄██  ██▀  ████▀▀
      ▀▀█████  █  ▄██▀▀
         ▀▀██  ██▀▀
.WINDICE.████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
      ▄████████▀
     ▄████████
    ▄███████▀
   ▄███████▀
  ▄█████████████
 ▄████████████▀
▄███████████▀
     █████▀
    ████▀
   ████
  ███▀
 ██▀
█▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
     ▄▄█████▄   ▄▄▄▄
    ██████████▄███████▄
  ▄████████████████████▌
 ████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
 ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
     ▄█     ▄█     ▄█
   ▄██▌   ▄██▌   ▄██▌
   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀
       ▄█     ▄█
     ▄██▌   ▄██▌
     ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
                   ▄█▄
                 ▄█████▄
                █████████▄
       ▄       ██ ████████▌
     ▄███▄    ▐█▌▐█████████
   ▄███████▄   ██ ▀███████▀
 ▄███████████▄  ▀██▄▄████▀
▐█ ▄███████████    ▀▀▀▀
█ █████████████▌      ▄
█▄▀████████████▌    ▄███▄
▐█▄▀███████████    ▐█▐███▌
 ▀██▄▄▀▀█████▀      ▀█▄█▀
   ▀▀▀███▀▀▀
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
iePlay NoweiI
I
I
I
[/t
cimong371

Activity: 364
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 04:35:52 PM

Polls have been run on the forum regarding suggestions on the forum, and other things like the ones which ask you to estimate the Bitcoin price over in the speculation section. Regarding the suggestions for the forum though, they are never the deciding factor as polls are easily manipulated in a forum where most of it's users are anonymous and have dozens of alt accounts. It only gives a general idea what others think, but is definitely open to abuse.
what is the proof so you can say that this forum is in wrong use?

►► D E A L J O Y - Earn Crypto by shopping online  (https://dealjoy.io)◄◄
Hui8

Activity: 602
Merit: 259

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 04:49:34 PM

Polls are of great use to the bounty contest which takes places very often on this forum. If you see the project development section then you might see more number of polls over there for casting the votes on winner. In service sections you rarely see the polls as to what kind of service to be offered and kind of gibberish sometimes.

I only see its importance in the contest held by bounties. They help choose the right person by organic crowd rather than unfair judges. That’s all I know folk.   Cheesy
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 07:09:41 PM

But I haven't seen any general polls run in the course of making decisions that affect all members(maybe I'm a kid here). Are periodic polls run on any section that I don't know of?

Oh, this forum isn't a democracy. It's a business, run by a few "business owners" and decisions of how things are conducted here are made based on the will of those "business owners", not based on the interests of the user base. Quite frankly, The Merits System (for example) is a great thing for this forum, but if it had been put up for a vote it never would have passed because there are far more Newbie and Jr. Member accounts here, who seemingly get penalized from the system.

What do you think are the pros and cons of running a general poll for members of this forum ?

I think it would be a great idea to have a comment period from "the Community" to help guide decisions...but not to make the decisions. This is a business, not a democracy.
Grayy (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 08:51:05 PM

But I haven't seen any general polls run in the course of making decisions that affect all members(maybe I'm a kid here). Are periodic polls run on any section that I don't know of?

Oh, this forum isn't a democracy. It's a business, run by a few "business owners" and decisions of how things are conducted here are made based on the will of those "business owners", not based on the interests of the user base. Quite frankly, The Merits System (for example) is a great thing for this forum, but if it had been put up for a vote it never would have passed because there are far more Newbie and Jr. Member accounts here, who seemingly get penalized from the system.

What do you think are the pros and cons of running a general poll for members of this forum ?

I think it would be a great idea to have a comment period from "the Community" to help guide decisions...but not to make the decisions. This is a business, not a democracy.
While I don't have a problem with the forum being business, I think most business that thrive only do so through customer satisfaction. That being said, maybe comments under polls sections could be up voted(like how Reddit works). With that it could be a little tedious for multiple users to read and up vote  every "biased" comment.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:01:40 PM

what is the proof so you can say that this forum is in wrong use?

I don't understand what you are asking, I'm not saying polls are wrong, but are abused by users who control multiple accounts or if they aren't being abused currently if it benefited them in anyway almost certainly they would be abused. For example, if theymos put up a poll regarding signature campaigns and whether to remove them from the site, alt accounts would certainly flood in and vote the one which has the option to continue allowing them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: