Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:24:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: High electricity cost -> What to mine / options?  (Read 389 times)
Geostationary0rbit (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 04:32:36 PM

I pay 25 cents per kwh, therefore mining is not really profitable.
What options do I have, other options like mining with an hdd?

Some people in texas pay 5 cents per kwh so its profitable for them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kukelka

Activity: 186
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 04:52:27 PM

maybe there are some services which let's any person to store mining rigs in some country where electricity cost lest and mining would be profitable? ...
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 05:15:12 PM

Rent hashing power from NiceHash or MiningRigRentals or cloud mining or buy and hold coins?
AngelSky

Activity: 1008
Merit: 537

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 05:23:32 PM

It is pretty high. Choosing the right algorithm which has the low difficulty and high market cap coin. That will be right choice to make the better profit. I suggest you choose the nice hash mining for cryoto night and daggerhashimoto.

These both are better coin to mine nowadays. I am sure you will be able to get the 22 USD plus for the 10 RX 470 cards.
Direct simple pool mining and solo mining will not give more profit like nice hash giving to us.
dmitriy vakulenko

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 07:07:37 PM

hello my friend in sorrow. I pay for electricity 19 cents, and I am under mining, as much as possible reduces the consumption of videocards. This is the only way for us.
Pekine

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 07:30:43 PM

Ethereum mining is still profitable at the current prices.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 07:36:45 PM

Maryland

.11 after fees are added in by the Electric company 7.5  cents with no fee's.

gonna have solar after a 1.5 year of trying to get it by April, not sure how much it's gonna be once the solar is turned on and running.

Have a L3 + coming sometime next month , another 1070ti due here Wednesday, an I hope to have a few btc miners soon an may buy a A4 + in time.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Geostationary0rbit (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 08:07:20 PM

Couldn't I compensate the high elec. costs with for example cutting heating costs?

The mining rig would then "be the heating body".

Is that doable or should I just go for nicehash?
p337miner

Activity: 24

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 01:19:08 AM

If it's winter yes, but the sound of 6-12 gpus is noisy so you would need to have it in a room where the airflow can warm up the rest of the house. Everything is still profitable at 25c/kwh you just need to lower the TDP of the gpus and hold what you're mining for a good sale price. You also need to mine something you think will go up.

As I tell most people though, it's probably better to put the 4-7K straight into investing in a coin/chain than it is to mine it. The freedom mining allows is that you can mine whatever you want if you want to.
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 01:33:28 AM

Rent hashing power from NiceHash or MiningRigRentals or cloud mining or buy and hold coins?
If you're just going to rent hashpower and point it at a pool you're better off just buying coins like you said in the latter part of your post. You get exactly what you pay for that way and you circumvent deposit and withdrawal fees as well as pool fees, etc.

GPUs are loud but I do know people who sleep in the same room as their GPUs or close to them. I don't know how they do it, I personally can't fall asleep with them nearby.
newmz

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 01:37:33 AM

There are low power algorithms you can use to mine. Lyra2z for example is used for Zcoin. I have - across 2 rigs: 2 x 1080, 4 x 1070 & 4 v 1060.

I can mine at 16mh/s at only 600-700W.

Crytonight is also low power (I think), and there are occasionally new coins that use it. It's probably too late to mine Monero but maybe have a look for newer coins using lyra2z or cryptonight algorithms. Mining new coins is always a bigger risk because they are usually worth very little to begin with but if you are lucky and one of them takes off the reward is huge. In this case I mean mine something and HODL it - don't mine it and sell it straight away, and hope that your coin takes off.

Zcoin (XZC) mined through miningpoolhub is actually still profitable even if you do want to sell straight away, but you wont make much. It's at around $50 right now but for a short while in December - before all the market speculators got the fear and the price of BTC fell - it was at $150 and I was mining it and making quite a lot every day. It's a good coin because it has privacy built in like Zcash (which hasn't actually produced it's privacy features yet) and privacy is a huge feature advantage in any currency because it makes it more "cash" like and improves fungibility, so maybe it will recover in price later.

The whole crypto market is depressed right now and that means that miners who pay too much for energy are the first ones to either stop mining, or look for something they believe will increase in value and HODL it for the future. Personally I think Ethereum is most likely to hold value or increase over time because it underpins so many other things now and has a very strong community and huge developer interest and resources. That means that often when I mine anything, like the latest dumb neoscrypt DASH clones - I trade back to ETH and I keep accumulating ETH. I also trade back to DASH because it has very low fees on exchanges and I think it should have a future because it's the original miners & masternodes plus governence coin. It really should be doing better than it is if we were only pricing things based on merit rather than hype.

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2018, 03:46:05 AM

I can mine at 16mh/s at only 600-700W.

sorry to say but 16mh/s at 600-700 watts is very bad .... i dont think thats can be profitable at all

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
hanskan

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 05:49:27 AM

I have been mining nearly a year with 25c AUD/kW =~20cUS/kW and it has never been unprofitable - I only pay 25-35% of profits to cover electricity.

You must be doing something wrong.
kck146

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 06:27:12 AM

Yeah It's still profitable. I'm at $.17 in my state and it costs me $250 to make $800 this month with 1070 & 1080ti @70% tdp. Whatever algo is paying highest. That's around 2000watts for all you magematicians.
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 06:40:03 AM

Cost of the electricity every country is different. Maybe some miner still profitable. And also determine, on your hashrate have. For mining using HDD, you can try a Burstcoin. You must have the big  space your HDD because that coin determined how big is your HDD size.

szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 06:49:11 AM

Nothing only pos is left.
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:39:12 AM

If you're just going to rent hashpower and point it at a pool you're better off just buying coins like you said in the latter part of your post. You get exactly what you pay for that way and you circumvent deposit and withdrawal fees as well as pool fees, etc.

GPUs are loud but I do know people who sleep in the same room as their GPUs or close to them. I don't know how they do it, I personally can't fall asleep with them nearby.
Under some circumstances it's more profitable to rent than buy and vise versa. People need to do their own research and calculations.
steve666

Activity: 41

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 11:28:06 AM

You have to check for various coins to mine and the best way to figure out which one is most profitable is to mine it for some time and make your own calculation according to your hashrate, algo diff etc.. I'd rather would not bother with WHATTOMINE.COM as everyone suggest, because this site is spreading bullshit and its calculations are wrong or displayed specially to deceive.

Regards
percy_tc

Activity: 583
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 11:33:23 AM

You best bet is Baikal miner. Low power consuption and decent income.
juanichiloco

Activity: 236
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 12:05:30 PM

If the electricity cost is that high it may just be better to buy and hold coins rather than mine.

If you really want to mine use a low power usage algo such as CryptoNight.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: