Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:16:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware Wallet  (Read 197 times)
JustusJones86 (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 06:39:16 PM

Hey Community,
what do you think about hardware wallets? Do you use one? And how much currency do you store on it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
steadyrice

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 06:54:17 PM

Hardware wallets are a must have, especially if you have a lot of money in crypto. Think of it this way: Pretty much every single wallet has an app and you can carry it around with you on your phone. If you had a million dollars, would you go about your day with all that money on you? Or would you store it somewhere safe, like in a safe in your home? I think this analogy explains the need to own hardware wallets pretty well.

Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 07:19:31 PM

The more founds you have the more sense it makes to buy a hardware wallet. Its price is fixed (regardless of how much coins you store in it) and it really makes sense to spend some euro for the increased protection to safeguard your founds.

It is straightforward to use, very secure, can be restored even if lost or stolen, and it has nice user interface (actually both Trezor and Ledger do). Also, it can be paired with some third party wallets (like Electrum or MyEtherWallet) providing increased security for those wallets too.

Due to my knwoledge, a Trezor or Ledger bought from a legitimate source (NOT eBay) has never been compromised.

So I can really see no reason NOT to buy it and a lot of reasons to buy it.

Just please note, that you must secure your 24-word backup and NEVER disclose it to anybody.
HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 07:22:57 PM

Hey Community,
what do you think about hardware wallets?

I think very highly of them, I wouldn't use the blockchain without one!

Trezor and Ledger (the two best known hardware wallets) handle slightly different sets of coins, but both are very valuable tools. Trezor has a great blog tha helps explain their product as well, I'm not as familiar with the support tools for Ledger.

Do you use one?

Yes.

And how much currency do you store on it?

A high percentage of my total holdings, but asking anyone "how much" is a dangerous question. It's like asking someone what their salary is, how much money they have saved, how much debt they have, etc. You're asking a very personal question to strangers, don't expect a response.
matt_dev_
Copper Member

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 07:31:13 PM

Buy Ledger from official store it's good solution to store your coins.
jsmithuk

Activity: 43

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 08:02:25 PM

Remember these guys?

Case Is An Insanely Secure Hardware Bitcoin Wallet
https://techcrunch.com/2015/05/04/case-is-an-insanely-secure-hardware-bitcoin-wallet/

bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 08:25:55 PM

Hardware wallets are a must have, especially if you have a lot of money in crypto. Think of it this way: Pretty much every single wallet has an app and you can carry it around with you on your phone. If you had a million dollars, would you go about your day with all that money on you? Or would you store it somewhere safe, like in a safe in your home? I think this analogy explains the need to own hardware wallets pretty well.
You should keep your coins secure, hardware wallets are the best for this purpose, if you want to use the coins as well. You should keep the hardware wallet in the safe unless you really want to spend some coins, because to check you balance, there's no need to have the hardware wallet at your fingertips. You can check your balance wiht your address on a blockchain explorer, you only need the hardware wallet if you want to spend or e.g. if you want to sign a message.
The best thing is that when you use a hardware wallet, you don't need to expose your private keys, because the hardware wallets does everything inside, and it only send signed transaction or signed message out, which doesn't cointain private key at all.
The only, the most important thing is the seed (the 24 words, generated at the first start of the hardware wallet), this is the key of the backups, so keep it in a secure place, more secure than the hardware wallet itself. As long as you (and only you) have that seed, you and your coins are safe.
Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:07:49 PM

Remember these guys?

Case Is An Insanely Secure Hardware Bitcoin Wallet
https://techcrunch.com/2015/05/04/case-is-an-insanely-secure-hardware-bitcoin-wallet/

Nope, but it is from 2015 (I think quite close to when I first heard of Trezor) and there are not around anymore. And Trezor is quite fine. So you got me interested, I admit. Can you please tell us what happened to those guys?
just a man

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

Partner of UBER GRAB GOCAR

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:15:03 PM

Hey Community,
what do you think about hardware wallets? Do you use one? And how much currency do you store on it?
I don't use a hardware wallet because the hardware wallets could have a virus on it. If they don't have a reputable company then they will probably try to put one on it.

trumper

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2018, 09:26:04 PM

Hardware wallets are no doubt the best way to store coins, other kind of wallets are very vulnerable to new methods that is designed to steal your coins.

Shamie1002

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:32:48 PM

https://blockgeeks.com/cryptocurrency-safe/

This link can give you basic knowledge about hardwallets and which are recommended.

In my opinion, it's not about the amount of bitcoins that you will be keeping but it's about how much capital you have invested. If you have put a huge amount of money, then it's enough reason for you to store it in the safest place you can think about.

It's security is much more reliable than any wallets. Just keep your private keys safe too. Don't ever forget or lose it. Or your coins will never be retrieved.
malikusama
Copper Member

Activity: 1050
Merit: 294

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:38:06 PM

Hardware wallets are the safest way to keep your bitcoins from attacks because there is always a high risk to keep them online due to hackers, while using online wallets even your one wrong move can led you to a complete loss. BTW I don't hold much bitcoins that's why i am not using it till now.
Rakabel619

Activity: 322

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:44:24 PM

Hello. I will always have a hardware wallet at my place and clearly I will have enough money in it. about bitcoin, I can say that the stores have not yet evolved enough to accept the bitcoin payment

uncleduckerr

Activity: 202

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:44:44 PM

They are brilliant, yes I use one at the moment. Not going to divulge how much currency I have on it but I would say if you have more than 1k US dollars it is for sure worth the protection. Similarly I heard online if it is roughly 1 weeks of wages you should protect it too, which ends of roughly at the same conclusion.

seven2smoke1

Activity: 532
Merit: 132

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:48:15 PM

Hey Community,
Honestly, I don't have hardware wallet yet, but I will buy one soon. It's too important to secure your funds in crypto. Usually, people who have a massive amount of bitcoin, store them in a hardware wallet, because it's too risky to store a large amount in an online bitcoin wallet, even if it's secure. I advice anyone to use the hardware wallet to store their bitcoin or maybe other altcoins, It's much safer. Currently, I don't have a lot of bitcoin but I think it's worth to save my few btc on it for now, I don't trust any online bitcoin wallet.
fattyforhire

Activity: 364

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 09:49:00 PM

Hey Community,
I use the Trezor wallet and I really like it. So far, it's the safest wallet I know. Even the Ledger have found a vulnerability.
dasher797

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

Get your share of the future

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 10:12:17 PM

Hey Community,
Hardware wallet is the safest wallet for cryptocurrency. Since I don't have a lot of bitcoin so I don't have plan to use it for now. May be later. But hardware wallet is not practical to use, I prefer to use online mobile wallet because it is easy to use.

StokaySatoransky

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 10:56:49 AM

You must have a hardware wallet if you have 1 BTC. But if not, I guess you should go to a bitcoin platform, you can access it anytime and anywhere and less hassle to use.
blozo

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2018, 10:59:52 AM

Ledger Nano S is a great way to store your bitcoin. It costs around 80$ but if you have a decent sum invested and you plan to HODL long time is totally worth the price

Aura

Activity: 518
Merit: 268

View Profile
March 07, 2018, 11:10:22 AM

You should keep your coins secure, hardware wallets are the best for this purpose, if you want to use the coins as well. You should keep the hardware wallet in the safe unless you really want to spend some coins, because to check you balance, there's no need to have the hardware wallet at your fingertips. You can check your balance wiht your address on a blockchain explorer, you only need the hardware wallet if you want to spend or e.g. if you want to sign a message.
The best thing is that when you use a hardware wallet, you don't need to expose your private keys, because the hardware wallets does everything inside, and it only send signed transaction or signed message out, which doesn't cointain private key at all.
The only, the most important thing is the seed (the 24 words, generated at the first start of the hardware wallet), this is the key of the backups, so keep it in a secure place, more secure than the hardware wallet itself. As long as you (and only you) have that seed, you and your coins are safe.
Hardware wallets are not the most secure way to store Bitcoin. I can give you multiple reasons why paper wallets are much better for this purpose. First, hardware wallets are not fully open-source, so you don't know if the code has a backdoor. Second, hardware wallets not being open-source means that you can't build it from source, so you have to trust on the manufacture that the official program is operating on the hardware. Third, they cost a lot of money compared to paper wallets that do the same thing. Lastly, hardware wallets are becoming are target for hackers and no software is really immune.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: