Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:47:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello! Can someone help me start mining?  (Read 1663 times)
SecularCalvin (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 04:03:26 PM

Hello-
I have been lurking for a number of weeks and decided to purchase a mining rig. Now I know just enough to get me in trouble. I wanted to get this machine up before I leave for 2 weeks, and it's not looking good. I hate wasting money either way.

My machine is AMDII so I have downloaded 64 bit versions
Ubuntu 11.04 is installed
Catalyst 11.5 installed

I am following the Ubuntu Natty Narwhal Guide found here:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7514.0

During install I got this error message:
Code:
PowerXpress error: Cannot stat '/usr/lib64/fglrx/switchlibGL': No such file or directory
Failed to initialize libglx for discrete GPU
Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-0

There was also a broken link in the instructions and I'm not sure if the file ended up in the proper directory.

So I downloaded https://eclipsemc.com/files/python-jsonrpc.tar.gz and extracted it into my user directory where the Phoenix, pyopencl-0.92 and poclbm folders reside. Is this correct?

Running the launch commands I get:

No device specified or device not found, use -d to specify one of the following

•    Cayman
  • [1]   Cayman
    [2]   AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 450 Processor
and when I type:

Code:
./poclbm.py -d1

I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./poclbm.py", line 67, in <module>
    miner = BitcoinMiner(devices[options.device], options, VERSION, HttpTransport.HttpTransport)
  File "/home/user/poclbm/BitcoinMiner.py", line 32, in __init__
    self.transport = transport(self)
  File "/home/user/poclbm/HttpTransport.py", line 20, in __init__
    super(HttpTransport, self).__init__(miner)
  File "/home/user/poclbm/Transport.py", line 46, in __init__
    self.failure('At least one server is required')
AttributeError: 'HttpTransport' object has no attribute 'failure'

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
stella

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 06:55:59 PM

You need to define the server(mining pool) after ./poclbm.py

If you haven't already, register and create a worker on a pool of ur choice. Deepbit, Slush, and BTCguild to name a few.

your command line should be something like this,
./poclbm.py server=http://SecularCalvin@youremailaddress.com:yourpoolpassword@pit.deepbit.net:8332 -d 1

I had the same problem too Smiley

Play around with -v -f -w flags and pick the combo which works best for you.

I used deepbit as example. You have to change it to your pool's URL.

Good luck!
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 07:09:50 PM

For newbies, forget the natty/ubuntu install guides and simply download linuxcoin.

Guaranteed to work every time.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 07:43:08 PM

For newbies, forget the natty/ubuntu install guides and simply download linuxcoin.

Guaranteed to work every time.

^ Yep. If you are going to leave for two weeks, you will need a way to remotely reboot and restart your miners, and you should have some way of automatically switching to backup pools. Linuxcoin 0.2b doesn't have this out of the box. I think it is a bit of a newbie misconception about mining that you just set it and forget it - this can be achieved to a certain extent, but you have to get things set up right, and for a newbie it can take a while to do. But here is a nice how-to guide that should cover everything you need:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=29021.0
SecularCalvin (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:51:10 AM

Ok Ok.

Linuxcoin it is. I was able to get that fully installed but it doesn't seem to be working. Isn't it supposed to start mining on startup? I have logged onto BTCguild and it shows no hash rate. On start up, I get a terminal window that hangs, flashes text, and then closes. No error messages. Is phoenix included in the build? I cannot find a folder for it.

I feel like I'm close...

Thank you all.
CaptainDDL

Activity: 22

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 02:56:16 AM

Linuxcoin...sounds interesting. Is it something that can be setup and run via SSH, or is this more of a GUI interface?
Ryu.Hayabusa

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 05:29:51 AM

I believe it is a full OS with everything ready to go.  Can be booted from a USB drive if I remember right.

If I was able to help you out, please consider donating.  Any amount is greatly appreciated! Smiley         
LTC LYxUfCXVHVkBv2S8H21NK6UnFnXmNaVqv6   XRP rHAYiZ3f7QGLa4qsVPjLsVEmwUQ9nSMq86
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:04:26 PM

SecularCalvin,

Linuxcoin needs to be configured to start mining on setup. Actually, since you are leaving for two weeks, it might be easier to try BAMT (just do a forum search for this term). This is also a USB miner OS, but it is more geared toward dedicated mining. I haven't tried it, but apparently after you edit some config files on the first boot, it will mine on startup, and you can easily set backup pools. Also I think you can fully configure your cards in GUI without having to learn all the terminal commands. Basically it is better out of the box for a rig that you want to leave for two weeks. I'm not saying it is better than Linuxcoin, but it sounds like it will be easier and better for your current needs. Here is the thread so you don't have to search:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=28967.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: