Bitcoin Forum
July 28, 2024, 11:18:30 AM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: simple majority vs. supermajority voting  (Read 114 times)
michael_finnoq (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 09:37:07 AM

I am planning to develop a decentralized platform where people can simply publish statements (with preconditions),
and the community can vote if the statement might be true or false.

Although the whole planned process itself is very complex, including various incentives and stacking
approaches as well as other features, I want to keep it simple for now.

Therefore, I want to start at the beginning and ask,
what you think might be the best choice to receive high quality statements?

• simple majority voting (50%)
  • supermajorities (55%, 60%, two-thirds)

It is very important to keep in mind, that answers of given statements, should be correct.
Wrong decisions must be kept to a minimum, as statements may further influence the platform,
and incentives may be distributed among all the ‘correct’ voters and the user who published the statement.
Additionally, there will be a quota to prevent polls with low participation.
patt0
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1005

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 10:19:31 AM

What kind o statements you are going to present for voting, and for what purpose? I think that is important to decide what kind of majority should be used. If it is for something that would result in applying an action (like government bills and things like that), I think that supermajority would be important. If it is just to analyze the opinion on the statement, and no direct implications would come out of that vote, then simply majority would probably be ok.

Don't know if you are planning to show the current state of the voting process before someone make a vote. I don't think that should be possible, because it's easy to create a trend, and other votes would probably just follow the trend of the current ones.

michael_finnoq (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 10:47:24 AM

In general, statements will be stated by other users (community members) about finance products,
that's why I thought of a supermajority, as users may trust the majorities knowledge.

• At the moment it is planned to provide a kind of framework where users can create statements by simply selecting various parameters.
    For example such parameters/statements may be: if you are 20 years old, you live in europe, you have an income > 3k, you might consider investing some money in insurances or funds.
  • Another approach would be to allow users texting their own statements but they need to add at least 2 answers.
    E.g. Where should I invest my money in, having 2k budget?  (Answers: Cryptos, Stocks, Funds)

The voting process itself as well as the provided statement is anonymous, as long as the voting is over.
Afterwards, the results will be published, 100% transparent, knowing each user who voted and what he voted for.

The reason why I think, seeing the current state of the voting is critical, is due to the risk, that users may get biased
and community members may just vote where there is already a majority, as they receive incentives for voting for the correct answer.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: