Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 11:55:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PHISHED WALLET STILL SAFE TO USE?  (Read 150 times)
chansss30 (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:18:22 PM

If one of your wallet address got phished, it is safe to use? or you must make another wallet address for your future transaction? Are the altcoins safe in there or must transfer to a new wallet address?
bongiu

Activity: 434
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:20:59 PM

It's not completely unsafe. I had a wallet that got phised but I still use it once in a while, I've hold coins in that wallet for no longer than 3 days out of fear of getting phished again but... Yeah 3 days holding in a phished wallet
chansss30 (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:23:06 PM

It's not completely unsafe. I had a wallet that got phised but I still use it once in a while, I've hold coins in that wallet for no longer than 3 days out of fear of getting phished again but... Yeah 3 days holding in a phished wallet

But you made a new wallet for other transactions? Like airdrops, bounty hunting, even in participating an ICO?
Jamesdila1

Activity: 686
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:25:05 PM

Its not safe as the hacker may still have your private key. so he can enter again. so better create a new account for maximum securiry

●   RiveMont   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  RVMT  ❱❱❱❱❱❱ 
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  DeFi token  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
bakujo0817

Activity: 313
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:25:47 PM

ofcousre no if you log in your private key in phishing website it better get some new wallet because the hacker has already have acces to your private key if you still putting your coin or token to that wallet tou will loae all your asset because theres a big chance the hacker will check your wallet.
cryptoatomic

Activity: 168
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:27:01 PM

If one of your wallet address got phished, it is safe to use? or you must make another wallet address for your future transaction? Are the altcoins safe in there or must transfer to a new wallet address?
Of course that would be stupidity when you still use the wallet that was compromised,creating wallet is free you should be vigillant and alert everytime you are browsing thru these websites,install metamask extension for your mew wallet protection,use hardwallet so you wont be hacked easily.
chansss30 (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:28:12 PM

ofcousre no if you log in your private key in phishing website it better get some new wallet because the hacker has already have acces to your private key if you still putting your coin or token to that wallet tou will loae all your asset because theres a big chance the hacker will check your wallet.

But I didn't log in anywhere using my private key, is it possible that the hacker gets my private key through my email?
ss890

Activity: 644
Merit: 263

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2018, 03:28:27 PM

It's not safe , and giving suggestion like you had only one experience of phished wallet is not the right way to go with it. If your wallet is compromised then I think there is no option but get out of it and transfer the tokens (if you have chance) to other wallet address or exchanger for time being.

I would recommend you to clear the cache and delete the browsing history as it could get bookmarked and you might just use the same phishing address. Better get rid of that first with small but precautionary steps. :-)

Edited :

But I didn't log in anywhere using my private key, is it possible that the hacker gets my private key through my email?

Yes mail are such nasty thing and you can't just believe each link that comes out of it.

Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:30:13 PM

But why would you want to do that, if generating a new address or setting up a completely new wallet is as easy as ABC? You should set up a new secure wallet, move all your funds there, and use it from that moment on.

And just save a backup of the compromised wallet for security purposes (Satoshi advised never to delete a wallet) but never use it again.
Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:31:22 PM

Short answer - NO! Don't ever use that wallet address again.
chansss30 (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:32:44 PM

It's not safe , and giving suggestion like you had only one experience of phished wallet is not the right way to go with it. If your wallet is compromised then I think there is no option but get out of it and transfer the tokens (if you have chance) to other wallet address or exchanger for time being.

I would recommend you to clear the cache and delete the browsing history as it could get bookmarked and you might just use the same phishing address. Better get rid of that first with small but precautionary steps. :-)

Edited :

Yes mail are such nasty thing and you can't just believe each link that comes out of it.

Thanks mate Smiley
chansss30 (OP)

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:33:36 PM

But why would you want to do that, if generating a new address or setting up a completely new wallet is as easy as ABC? You should set up a new secure wallet, move all your funds there, and use it from that moment on.

And just save a backup of the compromised wallet for security purposes (Satoshi advised never to delete a wallet) but never use it again.

Thanks, never delete and never use it, got it.
tamango

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:39:15 PM

Make another wallet, they are free and in this way you are sure that you are safe...... I'll never use a wallet that has been compromised..
cryptocrocs

Activity: 182
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:40:20 PM

You know the answer,if it was compromised im sure it will be compromised again.A hacked wallet would always be a hacked wallet,move one and create your new wallet most of the secured wallet like myetherwallet is free,so it wont be a problem if you create new wallet.

▬▬[  ENKIDU  ]▬▬[ NEXT GENERATION TEAMS AND PAYMENT SPLITTING ]▬   
▌  THE WORLD'S FIRST DECENTRALIZED GLOBAL COLLABORATION PLATFORM ▐
▬▬  POSSIBLE ONLY ON THE BLOCKCHAIN | Twitter  | Telegram  | Reddit  | Medium  | ANN Thread  | Facebook ▬▬
Singwala

Activity: 462
Merit: 260

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:42:18 PM

What kind of question is this. Of course, that's not safe because hackers have access to your wallet. So anytime can open it and steal your token balances here. So it's better to make you a new one and be careful that you will no longer be a victim of phishing sites.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
JINBI

merges gold’s investment
holding value
with
blockchain technology
[
T H E   G O L D E N   I C O
────────     WHITEPAPER     ────────
]
▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
chitocrypto

Activity: 154
Merit: 1

For verified airdrops https://t.me/pinoyairdrop

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2018, 03:42:38 PM

Don't use it, try to use metamask next time to stop you from using your private key. And never post your private key on Airdrops or bounties. If you have metamask, you don't even need to enter your private key anymore.

UCHAIN
The Next Generation Distributed Smart Network: Blockchain for the Sharing Economy
https://uchain.world/
cryptodevs

Activity: 182
Merit: 11

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:43:51 PM

It wont be safe because it was phished already,the phishing site got your keys so it will be easy for them to get your coins again if you put it in your hacked wallet,dont use it creating new wallet is very easy and you wont need pay doing that,free wallets like myetherwallet would be enough if we are talking to erc20 tokens and ethereum.
ryjin1007

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:44:23 PM

its just a common sense if your wallet have been phish do not use that wallet anymore because hackers are always monitoring all the their phished wallets its better for you to make new ones
VitKoyn

Activity: 490
Merit: 106

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:45:54 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2018, 07:52:59 PM by VitKoyn

This is stupid. Why would anyone will reuse a wallet or address that was already got hacked or phished? if you reuse it, its like giving a free money to a person that already fooled you. If someone already have access to the private key, recovery phrase or anything that can access your wallet then it is 100% not secured anymore, why not just create a new one? creating a new address or wallet will not cost you anything because it is free to generate a new one, unless you will create a new Ripple address which will cost you 20 XRP.
Pan Troglodytes

Activity: 392
Merit: 39

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 03:52:35 PM

Thanks, never delete and never use it, got it.

I am not sure if you make fun of my words or not. I had better explain. I meant it: never delete and never use it. Read: never use it if you don't have to. But what if somebody sends you some bitcoin into the public address you had in the disposed-off wallet? Then, it will be OK to temporarily reopen the backed-up wallet and move the newly received funds to your other (secure) wallet. If you don't have a backup you will not be able to access those new funds.

I know it sounds like a remote possibility, but believe me it happens, Satoshi knew what he was advising.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: