Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:35:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: KYC - Passports and documents for sale on Dark Web  (Read 624 times)
hiphophf (OP)

Activity: 91
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 06:57:03 PM

There has been a huge influx of passport available for sale on the Dark Web.

Also have seen posts where people are being accused of double entry into ICO's because the scammers used their passport information prior to them getting signed up. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ronbt

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 06:59:21 PM

Are there any articles about this issue? Is then the nrxt step for ICOs only video call verifications?
FinalFury

Activity: 69

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:01:06 PM

That's horrible news. Where did they get these passports? Did they steal them in regular day life? Or is it from a hack? I imagine a hack, because what are the chances that some random everyday person had their passport stolen and at the same time was into cryptos and was going a specific ICO.
stigmacryptonight

Activity: 574
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:03:24 PM

I just heard this information now, is this really reliable information. From various groups there has been no such news.
jimbo2000

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:08:08 PM

That's horrible news. Where did they get these passports? Did they steal them in regular day life? Or is it from a hack? I imagine a hack, because what are the chances that some random everyday person had their passport stolen and at the same time was into cryptos and was going a specific ICO.

Most probably from scam ICOs who are then selling the information of participants. KYC really needs to be controlled in some way to stop this from happening because data is valuable and people will always try to do this for as long as it's possible. There has to be some alternative to sending copies of your identification.

██████████████████████ ▀▄ Platio ▄▀ ██████████████████████
[TELEGRAM]│Smart Banking Ecosystem for crypto, fiat and│[FACEBOOK]
[TWITTER] │stocks, based on EOS blockchain technology │ [MEDIUM]
secondgarlic

Activity: 112
Merit: 16

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:10:43 PM

Although there are not articles, it doesn't surprise me at all that this is the case. People who have no idea how trustable an ICO is upload their passports without hesitating, which makes simply no sense to me. I'd be really careful about any personal information online.

JinCrypts

Activity: 170
Merit: 10

Earn with impressio.io

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:24:12 PM

This is no surprise for me, since there are alot of scams ico out there that requires KYC so that they have access to your accounts and info, KYC should really be not be tolerated in crypto since we value our idendity. (Hoping this is just a FUD since many of my relatives joining ico and applying for KYC.

▰▰▰▰▰▰      IMPRESSIO     ▰▰     THE FUTURE OF INVESTING      ▰▰▰▰▰▰
Lightpaper   ▰   ✔ Instant Withdrawals  ✔ Team with a huge experience in the field   ▰   Facebook
Telegram   ███  ✔ 5% Partner Commission  ✔ Automated system for investors   ███   Twitter
cryptopan

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:34:37 PM

Also have seen posts where people are being accused of double entry into ICO's because the scammers used their passport information prior to them getting signed up. 

That is why KYC shouldnt be required because our privacy might be compromised and our IDs might be sold to these cindicates who can use it in illegal activities,that is why i am not joining any of these KYC ICOs and bounty campaigns because i have used cryptocurrencies because i want my transactions be anonymous,anonimity is the first reason why i do use cryptocurrencies.

__ ▂ ▃ ▅ ▇ █  TRADELIZE  █ ▇ ▅ ▃ ▂ __
█≣≣≣ICO Starts :April 17,2018≣≣≣█▃Your laser sword in Cryptocurrency Trading ▃█≣≣≣   whitepaper   ≣≣≣█         
≣     Onepager     ≣     ANN Thread     ≣     Facebook     ≣     Telegram     ≣     Twitter     ≣
cryptodagger

Activity: 224

Stable coin to make charity free for everyone

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:43:46 PM

Surely their passports where sold by the people who are conducting KYC's in the past,because there no way that they will join multiple times when they know that their ID has already been submitted,clearly someone has sold it in the darkweb or their computer might be compromise which in this case the first one would be the answer why,someone has sold the IDs taken from the KYC.This is thea reason i opt out to participate any of these KYC investments to protect my identity from these cindicates.

2Pac

Activity: 749
Merit: 507

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:45:34 PM

Last year 50 percent of the icos run away. They've collected lots of Passport, id data.
Now they're selling those infos on dark web.

I don't invest in KYC icos.
realsteve

Activity: 69

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:46:46 PM

Counterfeiting used to be really common but it might be a lot harder to do these days. Somewhat frightening if these are stolen passports going up for sale.
mautenisis

Activity: 274

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 07:52:19 PM

You can prevent this from happening by not joining any of these ICOs that will require you to undergo KYC processes because i dont think this is really necessary we are a decentralized community and we dont need to give our identity to these people because bitcoin's aim is to eliminate these type of centralization,your identity might be stolen like what happened to these people so be careful.

NOIZ
⇐ ● A decentralized cognitive ad network ● ⇒
○ ○ ○ ➀ WEBSITEWHITEPAPERTELEGRAMTWITTERFACEBOOK ○ ○ ○
Bergiolia

Merit: 101

HEXCASH - Decentralized Fund

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2018, 07:56:48 PM

That's the most tragic result when people do participate on any Cryptocurrency related like ICOs and bounties that requires KYC.
Personal identity will be required by the company to every participants and that would lead into trouble in the future and that's what I am thinking before and now they're happening.
I think organizers shouldn't require personal information on regulating ICOs because it will hinder them to reach their soft and hard caps because most investors today aren't really into KYCs

Bergiolia

HEXCASH - Decentralized Fund

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2018, 08:00:34 PM

Last year 50 percent of the icos run away. They've collected lots of Passport, id data.
Now they're selling those infos on dark web.
I don't invest in KYC icos.

I have no problem with KYCs because I never invest into ICOs, instead I'm going to wait for them to bump coinmarketcap.com and there I could place my buys and bids.
What I am worrying about is when the distribution of bounty stake tokens will require personal identity then our personal documents will be soon passed on the dark web and other places and companies that find useful.
That way we're not fully OK with KYCs.

housebtc

Activity: 588
Merit: 252

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:11:38 PM

I aam not surprised about this, because I received alot of phishing mails about ICOs I never in heard about until they sent me their alert to me, I think something need to be done about the KYC issues, most of these ICOs don't have good security to protect investors information, so when hacked they lose most of these information to hackers which then move it to dark web, this is a bog concern
DroidR17A

Activity: 490

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:12:05 PM

That's why you should always do your due diligence (ideally) before you join an ICO and find out how they're managing KYC docs. There are companies that provide end-to-end encrypted services with instant verification. If they don't use one of those services, chances are, your data will be at risk.

I had to laugh at the AML Bitcoin team (and threatened legal action) when they asked people to send docs via email - not even a secure upload.

Be VERY careful folks, there are a ton of scammers out there harvesting DLs and passports via fake ICOs. Contact their support, ask them how they handle KYC. If they claim to use a 3rd party service, verify that the 3rd party is legitimate, and contact them to see if they are really providing that service to the ICO company.

Stay safe.
MKH
Copper Member

Activity: 231
Merit: 15

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:13:50 PM

It is actually seen that most of the ICO company asking for KYC now to invest their ICO or join in bounty. It actually seems a little dangerous to me, because they can use it as a bad thing, it can be used on a bad site that can cause harm for us. So, I think it would be beneficial for everyone to make KYC a trusted company or through a certain authority and everyone will feel secure.
cryptobobo

Activity: 210

The P2P Marketplace For Digital Content

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:15:08 PM

That would the negative of joining these ICOs that will require you to send your passports and driver's license,this is the main reason why i dont really joining any of these projects my first priority would be my privacy because that is the main reason why i invested with cryptocurrencies so will have a total anonimity with my transactions,these KYC thing would eliminate our privacy.

coinmgnet

Activity: 126

View Profile
February 26, 2018, 08:15:51 PM

Yep. On one hand, KYC is very useful for ICOs and so on, but on the other hands, it gives scammers a way to actually take advantage of your private information.
chocopapaya

Activity: 686
Merit: 131

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2018, 08:17:13 PM
Merited by dumplingsandsushi (1)

First off, you should provide links or evidence.

However, it what you are saying does seem to make sense.
Before it shut down, you could get ANYTHING on silk road.
It wasn't just weapons and drugs, but codes, identities, you name it.

The dark web itself, isn't an evil crime ridden place.
But the nature of it makes it so those with illicit intentions can thrive.

But the KYC problem has become out of control.
The worst situation is when an ICO handles it themselves, how can you trust identity security to a startup?
The better ones will hire a professional company to do it.
But the best of them all will allow face to face verification.
I have found, that a lot of times, I can do the kyc through video chat when I request.
Those who turn me down, I move on, there are tons of icos out there so I don't need to waste my time with a company that doesn't accomadate it's own investors.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: